/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: *story spoilers*- To Sleep Perchance To Dre
Posted By: YossarianDate: 1/12/05 4:15 p.m.

In Response To: Re: *story spoilers*- To Sleep Perchance To Dre (Forrest of B.org)

: Yeah, reading through it again myself it does seem a little to obvious,
: especially immediately following Durandal's message on Core Done Blew.

Agreed. Though I suppose you could always claim that while the player may know the dream speaker's identity, it can be assumed that the character he plays does not. In the context of the story, it may be a very genuine mystery to Marcus.

Note also that the dream speaker is not just Durandal. He doesn't talk like Durandal, or necessarily think like Durandal. Also, Durandal never had a habit of showing up in dream terminals, so as a player I think one needs to recognize that there is more to the dream speaker than who he was; there is what he's become, how he got there, and what that means to us fools.

**kinda spoiler**

Part of the challenge in writing the dream terminals was finding the right voice for who the dream speaker truly is, a Durandal-Thoth combo super-sized. Instead of blending the tones of their speech into a puree'd shade, I tried to sort of use a stream-of-conciousness approach where one personality dominates the speaking depending on what's being said; the intent being that each dream terminal would have two harmonious "voices". But also in this the personalities have, a bit, contaminated each other. Durandal made Thoth's speech flow better and improved his vocabulary while Thoth took the wit and sarcastic edge off Durandal.

Another way of putting it is that the dream levels tend to oscillate between the two, going from either end of the character spectrum.

At first I don't think Forrest was too hot on it, the way he put it, the first draft "sounds more like Thoth with a better grasp of English and a functional shift key", but I think he eventually warmed to the style.

Because this is the first dream terminal I wrote, I had no standard, so I kind of went a little overboard with the creative descriptions, but I was basically trying to describe murky, swirling, dreamlike visions so that there would be no doubt it WAS a dream.

Most of these were written pretty late into the night. I was working at a distribution center in Mississippi at the time and seeing as I had a key I usually stayed after everyone left. Being alone and usually hopped up on diet pills and caffeine I was easily able to write until I was content, not to mention red-eyed and nearly delerious. I find I have a hard time writing when I'm totally clean and sober, so sue me.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Eternal Volunteers - To Sleep Perchance To DreamAdam Ashwell 1/12/05 1:54 p.m.
     Re: Eternal Volunteers - To Sleep Perchance To DreForrest of B.org 1/12/05 2:15 p.m.
           *story spoilers*- To Sleep Perchance To Dreblake37 1/12/05 3:13 p.m.
                 Re: *story spoilers*- To Sleep Perchance To DreForrest of B.org 1/12/05 3:29 p.m.
                       Re: *story spoilers*- To Sleep Perchance To DreYossarian 1/12/05 4:15 p.m.
                             Re: *story spoilers*- To Sleep Perchance To Dreblake37 1/12/05 5:05 p.m.
                             Very cool, Yoss. Very cool. *NM*Steve Levinson 1/12/05 6:28 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.