/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Eternal Volunteers [major spoilers]
Posted By: Forrest of B.orgDate: 1/11/05 6:10 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Eternal Volunteers, Can't TOZT This (Steve Levinson)

: You're right, the pre-assimilation Tycho is much more matter-of-fact than
: yours, but I recall only one terminal to go on, and he was in the process
: of being assimilated at the time.

MORE matter-of-fact? I tried to make this Tycho as dry and factual as possible, only beginning to add any emotion when he found out he had to die to stop Hathor, and even then, not much. Which terminal are you thinking of?

: Sounds good.

The one thing I worry about is how it will affect the transition from goody-two-shoes "if I must sacrifice myself then so be it" Tycho to the "Don't worry about me. I'm just perfect" smug powermonger Tycho in Chapter 2. If Tycho is already just thinking of his own best interests, there's no transition at all.

: So do I - a lot. I think Hathor would have two possible objectives regarding
: her former self - she would either want to rescue herself in that timeline
: (i.e. not send her to the future) so that she would not be doomed to live
: as an AI, or destroy her so as to end the cycle that resulted in her
: tortured future. The one thing she would never tolerate would be to let
: her live as a separate entity in the future, and I doubt that she'd settle
: for letting herself repeat the events that led to her state in the future.
: Does that make sense?

Makes sense, but what I was thinking was more along the lines of her intending to somehow inhabit her old body. There is a Cybernetic Junction there. I don't know how exactly she would do it, Eternal-physics-wise, but it seems like a possibility; if nothing else, she could live vicariously through her old self, speaking to her and working with her as a human-AI duo. Especially if she could somehow get her the same kind of upgrades that lets AIs transfer about inside your Mk V systems. If she could get that set up, plus some kind of direct-to-mind communication system (no terminals needed, which I admit is a limit I only invented for gameplay reasons), then she would have effectively gotten herself a new body, AND had the power to transfer about across space and time at will. She would have become like a god, but in human form.

Which actually gets me thinking about something else... the whole KYT term reference. The metaphorical battle between Marcus and Hathor in the 'desolate garden at the dawn of time'. I probably didn't make either point very clear, but:

(A) Marcus can now control his own Cybernetic Junction in Ch5. Leela beamed him back to the future, and in a dream he turned himself around and headed instead to the past. Any confusion on this part is Yoss's fault, cause that was clear in the description of the plot that I wrote for that dream level (40).

(B) Hathor lives on after we "kill" her in Ch5. The Watcher mentions that an Operator still interfaced with the core has been assimilated by the Enemy and assumed a central role in their collective; and the Enemy later make reference to their new "Queen" with many allusions to Hathor. What was left of Hathor escaped the Core before you destroyed it, into the mind of the assimilated Operator, and as the new Queen of the Enemy, she and some minions fled the Sphere in the ship that you were supposed to take - hence why there is no ship at the docking point in L50, when the Watcher said there should be. I'll let you guess what becomes of them.

I'm not sure how to time it all right, so that Hathor can still leave on the captured ship, but what if that metaphorical battle isn't so metaphorical? Hathor - the Queen, the Operator - at some point, on the last level, appearing in person to do battle with you herself?

"...our reunions there are epic battles fought without quarter, often in the dark as the moon is seldom visible and the sun never. i powder a granite monument in a soundless flash, showering the grass with molten drops of its gold inlay, sending smoking chips of stone skipping into the fog. she splinters an ancient oak with a force that takes my breath and hurls me to the ground. she leaves and i lie in the slow rain of burning slivers of wood, staring at the low, dark clouds, craving our next meeting...."

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Eternal Volunteers, Can't TOZT Thisblake37 1/11/05 2:54 p.m.
     Re: Eternal Volunteers, Can't TOZT Thisblake37 1/11/05 3:10 p.m.
     Re: Eternal Volunteers, Can't TOZT ThisAdam Ashwell 1/11/05 3:18 p.m.
           Re: Eternal Volunteers, Can't TOZT Thisblake37 1/11/05 3:34 p.m.
                 Re: Eternal Volunteers, Can't TOZT Thisblake37 1/11/05 3:37 p.m.
                       Re: Eternal Volunteers, Can't TOZT ThisAdam Ashwell 1/11/05 3:39 p.m.
                             Re: Eternal Volunteers, Can't TOZT Thisblake37 1/11/05 3:41 p.m.
                                   Re: Eternal Volunteers, Can't TOZT ThisAdam Ashwell 1/11/05 3:44 p.m.
           Re: Eternal Volunteers, Can't TOZT ThisForrest of B.org 1/11/05 3:43 p.m.
                 Re: Eternal Volunteers, Can't TOZT ThisSteve Levinson 1/11/05 4:14 p.m.
                       Re: Eternal Volunteers, Can't TOZT Thisblake37 1/11/05 4:26 p.m.
                       Re: Eternal Volunteers [major spoilers]Forrest of B.org 1/11/05 6:10 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.