/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Confusion about the storyline
Posted By: Forrest of B.orgDate: 1/10/05 4:04 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Confusion about the storyline (Steve Levinson)

: It's probably time to repost a link to the Original Volunteers Series for
: the Marathon Trilogy. The most insightful posts are from none other than
: Mark Levin - one of the great gurus of Marathondom. I never really
: understood Infinity myself until I read his posts. This, BTW, was my
: inspiration for the Rubicon Volunteers Series . Read up, and enjoy.

In Wikipedia style, I'd like to note that Mark Levin's views on the events of the Marathon trilogy are not uncontested, and had I been aware that everybody was over here getting his take on it without counterbalance, I would have been here to challenge that.

In summary:

Mark thinks that the events of Infinity somehow altered all timelines, such that the events of Infinity never effectively happened, and M2 continues just as it would have, with no W'rkncacnter release. In other words, the events of Infinity negate themselves from having happened, or were already accounted for in the timeline of M2. (Since M2 itself never mentions the release of the W'rkncacnter).

I hold that the M2 timeline is failed, that universe was destroyed by the W'rkncacnter, as were all the other failed timelines of Infinity, and a *different* but similar set of events to the M2 epilogue continue on from the end of Infinity. The most notable difference here is the existence of a merged Durandal/Thoth entity who releases the player from servitude, versus regular old Durandal we know from M2, who takes the player with him again and off to another adventure.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Confusion about the storylinebad brains 1/9/05 9:29 p.m.
     Re: Confusion about the storylineForrest of B.org 1/9/05 10:10 p.m.
           Re: Confusion about the storylineK-chi 1/10/05 4:22 a.m.
                 Re: Confusion about the storylineSteve Levinson 1/10/05 3:09 p.m.
                       Re: Confusion about the storylineForrest of B.org 1/10/05 4:04 p.m.
                             Re: Confusion about the storylineSteve Levinson 1/10/05 6:23 p.m.
                                   Re: Confusion about the storylineForrest of B.org 1/10/05 7:33 p.m.
                                         Long time travel philosophy post! Head hurts! *NM*ukimalefu 1/10/05 8:19 p.m.
                                               The Philosophy of Time TravelForrest of B.org 1/10/05 9:28 p.m.
                                                     What does time travel have to do with philosophy? *NM*Purple Penguin 1/11/05 6:12 a.m.
                                                           You can philosophy about time travel. *NM*ukimalefu 1/11/05 7:16 a.m.
                                                           What does epistemology have to do with philosophy? *NM*Forrest of B.org 1/11/05 7:17 a.m.
                                                           Philosophy is the search for truth. *NM*K-chi 1/11/05 9:18 a.m.
                                                                 When you can't prove it and it's speculation. *NM*Adam Ashwell 1/11/05 10:22 a.m.
                                                                       You can't prove that proof is ever possible.Forrest of B.org 1/11/05 11:23 a.m.
                                                                             Re: You can't prove that proof is ever possible.blake37 1/11/05 11:51 a.m.
                                                                                   Eh? *NM*Forrest of B.org 1/11/05 11:57 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: Eh?blake37 1/11/05 11:59 a.m.
                                                                                               Re: Eh?Forrest of B.org 1/11/05 12:40 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Eh?blake37 1/11/05 12:56 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Eh?Forrest of B.org 1/11/05 1:16 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: Eh?blake37 1/11/05 2:23 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: Eh?Deathmonger 1/11/05 1:46 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: Eh?Forrest of B.org 1/11/05 2:20 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: Eh?Yossarian 1/11/05 2:38 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: Eh?Forrest of B.org 1/11/05 3:14 p.m.
                                                                                                                             Dayyymn. Fobo has mad logic skilz, yo. [/wigger] *NM*Deathmonger 1/11/05 3:43 p.m.
                                                                                                                                   I'm writing a paper on epistemology & ethics *NM*Forrest of B.org 1/11/05 4:00 p.m.
                                                                                                                                         Re: that explains alot *NM*blake37 1/11/05 4:22 p.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: Eh?Yossarian 1/11/05 4:57 p.m.
                                                                                                                                   Re: Eh?Forrest of B.org 1/11/05 6:46 p.m.
                                                                                                                                         Welp, I'm satisfied. *NM*Yossarian 1/12/05 3:36 p.m.
                                                                                                     I get it! I get it!K-chi 1/11/05 5:42 p.m.
                                                                                                           And we're very proud of you too ^_^. *NM*Adam Ashwell 1/11/05 5:43 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Now, what was the thread originally about again? *NM*Reiginko 1/12/05 3:43 a.m.
                                   Re: Confusion about the storylineAndromeda_5[Kilo] 1/11/05 10:59 a.m.
                                         Re: Confusion about the storylineukimalefu 1/11/05 4:55 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.