/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Message for Hamish, Cheap!
Posted By: Purple PenguinDate: 1/4/05 5:16 p.m.

Because Hamish is acting all high-and-mighty about not having a working e-mail, and because he *claims* to read this board, I'm just going to have to leave a Story Page message for him here. Got it? Good.

------------------

In response to Mike Leong's S'pht-Bible-Connection-thing... He says "Jesus". I says brush up on your Old Testament! This is most definitely a reference to the story of Joseph at the end of Genesis; Chapter 49 to be specific:

"And Jacob called his sons and said, "Come together that I may tell you what is to befall you in days to come."

--snip--

"All these were the tribes of Israel, twelve in number, and this is what their father said to them as he bade them farewell, addressing to each a parting word appropriate to him."

(Now there is a discrepancy in the number of clans (12 vs 11), but that may be that in this story the 11th son was more important than the 12th. That son was Joseph, also known as the guy with the Technicolor Dreamcoat. Backing up a little:)

"Joseph took the two of them, Ephraim with his right hand -- to Israel's left -- and Manasseh with his left hand -- to Israel's right -- and brought them close to him. But Israel stretched out his right hand and laid it on Ephraim's head, though he was the younger..."

--snip--

"When Joesph saw that his father was placing his right hand on Ephraim's head, he thought it wrong; so he took hold of his father's hand to move it from Ephraim's head to Manasseh's. 'Not so, Father,' Joseph said to his father, ' for the other is the first-born; place your right hand on his head' But his father objected saying, "I know, my son, I know. He too shall become a people, and he too shall be great. Yet his younger brother shall be greater than he..."

See! The bible is good for something besides starting holy wars! Right?

- Purple Penguin

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Message for Hamish, Cheap!Purple Penguin 1/4/05 5:16 p.m.
     Thanks for the Story Page update! *NM* *NM*Purple Penguin 1/5/05 3:21 p.m.
           Sorry about that second "*NM*" *NM* *NM*Purple Penguin 1/5/05 3:22 p.m.
                 And thanks for all the spamPurple Penguin 1/5/05 3:25 p.m.
                       Hey - where can I get one of those mugs? *NM*Steve Levinson 1/5/05 4:45 p.m.
                       Re: And thanks for all the spamukimalefu 1/5/05 7:18 p.m.
                       I like it. *NM*Me_43 1/7/05 1:35 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.