/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Finished downloading Eternal MK V. Problems!
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 1/4/05 4:57 a.m.

In Response To: Finished downloading Eternal MK V. Problems! (ukimalefu)

: Damn! I need a new Mac. Now.

You said it! If I'm not mistaken, Eternal needs at least a 16MB graphics card. The fact that you had to go to virtual memory says a lot. Eternal uses a lot more textures than M1A1 and of course the maps are much larger. With only 8MB of VRAM there just isn't enough room to store your textures and OpenGL has to constantly swap them in and out. To make matters worse, with VM engaged those textures are likely being swapped in and out from your hard drive. I'm not sure how easy it is to upgrade your old iMac, but adding more real RAM would help a lot. Regardless of your CPU, I recommend no less than 256 MB and would prefer to see 512. If your graphics processor could be upgraded, that would also help a lot. On the other hand, if you have a grand to spare, a new G4 eMac would give you more bang for the buck.

Oh, if you want to try to get it to work on your existing machine, try turning off all unneeded system extensions and use a 3rd party script to quit the finder after you launch Eternal. Turn off VM and try to get Eternal to run in whatever you have. Without other processes running, you should see a noticeable improvement.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Finished downloading Eternal MK V. Problems!ukimalefu 1/3/05 6:14 p.m.
     Re: Finished downloading Eternal MK V. Problems!Johannes Gunnar 1/4/05 12:04 a.m.
           Re: Finished downloading Eternal MK V. Problems!ukimalefu 1/4/05 3:58 a.m.
     Re: Finished downloading Eternal MK V. Problems!Steve Levinson 1/4/05 4:57 a.m.
           Tried it on a different Macukimalefu 1/4/05 6:00 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.