/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Volunteer Series for Eternal?
Posted By: Forrest of B.orgDate: 1/2/05 4:55 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Volunteer Series for Eternal? (Steve Levinson)

: That would help, but I would strongly argue in favor of taking Leela with
: you. I know that this doesn't fit with the intended plot, but the last
: communication you have from her is that she is going to help you make a
: better future. The transition just didn't work for me and I was left
: confused. Find a way to send Leela back with the player and she can
: explain it all to them.

I'm thinking maybe I should just have Hathor speak to you more in that chapter. She shares the same not-of-this-timeframe perspective as you, and so could explain certain things that the Watcher assumes you know. It would also be nice to give her some more dialogue anyway, seeing how she is the main non-player character. Bringing Leela along, while I might be able to work it, just poses too much complexity in the plot constructs I would have to make to excuse it. Hathor is already there, and could serve the same purpose.

: I had no idea where I was or when.

It's pretty clear to me now that I didn't make this nearly clear enough, but only because I couldn't find any reason for a character to tell you explicitly. I have both the Watcher and Hathor use the phrase "the sphere" at a couple of places, trying to hint at it in passing, but it just wasn't enough, I know.

You're inside of a giant spherical construct, like a Dyson Sphere, though probably much smaller. (Think Orbital vs Ringworld type of scale difference). That is the "Hollow World" (the sphere is hollow), with a "Land in the Sky" (the distant landscape of the inner surface), which is "Floating in the Void" (the whole thing is in space) - I also tried to hint at it in earlier places via those level names and Hathor's use of them on "Back to the Future". That is why, when you jump "down" a hole in a mountain, you wind up in space. Like the end of "Ringworld", and jumping down Fist-of-God mountain.

: I don't get it - how is MAD supposed to provide a better future? I guess I
: just don't get Ch5.

Where and when you are in Ch5 has nothing to do with Leela's plotting for a better future. In Meta Omega, Leela explains what she did when she went back to the future - and how you never showed up, despite the fact that she sent you there herself. In Floating in the Void, Durandal tells you that "the enemies of the past are rising even as the enemies of the day fall", as well as some Shakespearian metaphor about Leela's fate in the future, and points you off to your new, true mission, which is where you end up in Ch5.

The initial transition to Ch5 was supposed to be jarring, to give a "wtf? now where am I?" but I meant the answer to that to become clear by the end. I guess I failed at that.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Volunteer Series for Eternal?sd 12/24/04 1:28 p.m.
     Re: Volunteer Series for Eternal?Elliott 12/26/04 8:55 a.m.
     Re: Volunteer Series for Eternal?Forrest of B.org 1/2/05 12:42 a.m.
           Re: Volunteer Series for Eternal?Steve Levinson 1/2/05 6:16 a.m.
                 Re: Volunteer Series for Eternal?Forrest of B.org 1/2/05 12:54 p.m.
                       Re: Volunteer Series for Eternal?Steve Levinson 1/2/05 1:36 p.m.
                             Re: Volunteer Series for Eternal?Dr. John Sumner 1/2/05 2:38 p.m.
                             Re: Volunteer Series for Eternal?blake37 1/2/05 3:30 p.m.
                                   Re: Volunteer Series for Eternal?Forrest of B.org 1/2/05 4:38 p.m.
                                         Re: Volunteer Series for Eternal?Luke9 1/2/05 6:17 p.m.
                                               Re: Volunteer Series for Eternal?Forrest of B.org 1/2/05 7:36 p.m.
                             Re: Volunteer Series for Eternal?Forrest of B.org 1/2/05 4:55 p.m.
                             Re: Volunteer Series for Eternal?Andrew Nagy 1/3/05 10:41 a.m.
                                   OpenGL windowed mode? How do you do that? *NM*Steve Levinson 1/3/05 12:00 p.m.
                                         Re: OpenGL windowed mode? How do you do that?Johannes Gunnar 1/3/05 12:15 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.