/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Eternal Mk IV
Posted By: Andrew NagyDate: 12/19/04 10:19 p.m.

Apparently it’s too late for anything I suggest to be implemented in Mk V, but here are my thoughts as I played it.

== General thoughts

Did you get the sprites from Ian in time? Will there be an in-game apology terminal or something, explaining why the enemies described in the terminals are absent? And/or maybe another mark-release when the sprites arrive, but I guess the Eternal Team should be deciding things like that.

The title music needs to be in a format that works with Aleph One SDL.

The MoaHes in this scenario tend to be used in places where they’re completely pointless. I mostly just ignore them. Killing them is downright tedious, since you have to keep backtracking and looking for more weapons.

== Un-Wired

There's a wall that I can't see through, but I keep getting shot through. I have a savegame that shows this.

It seems like some of these switches could just be cut out. Some help by forcing you to take a certain path, but some just make you backtrack and slow you down. Also, a lot of them seem to be in pointless dead-end corridors that could also be removed.

Are the Pfhor doing anything in particular in Un-Wired? Its only significance is that it's part of Durandal's core, but they don't know that or they'd have Compilers there. Maybe they just stopped to rest on the way to some big offensive, or something.

I wonder if a lot of the Hunters in chapter one could be replaced with Fighters. More enemies per battle, and possibly more fun for several reasons. And it fits with the early M1 levels. So far the Pfhor are herding defenseless Bobs, not challenging a fearsome enemy army.

== Not Total Carnage

In the [?hub] at the beginning/end, the doors should stay open longer, so I can run in, save, and run back out without having to hit the door switch twice.

There’s this big room with a central pillar/core thingy, where you can drop down to a much lower level on either side, sort of like in Shake Before Using. There’s nothing useful down there, just a clump of enemies. The problem is that they tend to kill each other before you even reach them.

== Deja Vu

How come I'm pointing backwards at the start, towards the dead-end sewage tunnel and away from the monsters and terminal?

It seems like the map is basically linear now. You can explore areas off the path, but there’s nothing interesting there. I wonder if gratings or bars sealing off the extra areas would help the playability.

== Stark Raven Mad

What's up with all the terminal textures showing purple Pfhor and orange S'pht logos?

Have you thought about adding the M1 Pfhor/Sfiera textures for just "Raven"? Would that require editing the Shapes file? I guess it would harm the experience to leap between your art style and Reginald's like that.

== Moontanning

I don’t like the idea of having to page through two logon screens instead of one to read each terminal, but I’m not sure if that’s a legitimate playability complaint.

Tycho’s dry emotionlessness doesn’t seem like the ideal way to reveal interesting story details like Hathor’s motivations. Maybe you were going for a specific effect, but I just see something that’s not fun to read.

I wonder if terminals like this could have less detail about the level structure; just say something like “lower a series of security doors to reach the two circuit panels.”

== Pfharce

Couldn’t you deactivate that elevator at the beginning, so I don’t wait for it to cycle up, down, and back up, just to find a door I can’t open? (When I did that, I also got stuck between the elevator and the door, so I had to wait an additional up/down cycle to get out.)

== Back to the Future

Does it make sense that Lava F'lickta are immune to the plasma pistol? Was it like that in M2?

Any way to make the S'pht Bobs less likely to block your path?

The irregular rocky platforms rising from the lava, allowing you to cross large gaps. They could be a bit more irregular, maybe bigger with varying floor heights. And there could be unneeded ones at different heights just to break up the long flat views; maybe some attached to the canyon walls. Maybe I'm missing the point of what they are and how they were formed. And/or I have no idea what makes a good map.

== Mohicans

I saw an M2 Enforcer just standing outside in the lava until it died. Was it placed on that poly by mistake?

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Eternal Mk IVAndrew Nagy 12/19/04 10:19 p.m.
     Re: Eternal Mk IVAndrew Nagy 12/19/04 10:26 p.m.
           Re: Eternal Mk IVAdam Ashwell 12/20/04 9:54 a.m.
           Re: Eternal Mk IVForrest of B.org 12/20/04 9:49 p.m.
                 Re: Eternal Mk IVD-M.A. 12/20/04 9:58 p.m.
                       Re: Eternal Mk IVAdam Ashwell 12/21/04 10:11 a.m.
     Re: Eternal Mk IVAndrew Nagy 12/20/04 9:14 a.m.
           Re: Eternal Mk IVblake37 12/20/04 10:42 a.m.
           not a double post *NM*Andrew Nagy 12/20/04 9:11 p.m.
     Re: Eternal Mk IVForrest of B.org 12/20/04 9:44 p.m.
           Re: Eternal Mk IVD-M.A. 12/20/04 9:55 p.m.
     Re: Eternal Mk IVAdam Ashwell 12/21/04 9:54 a.m.
           Re: Eternal Mk IVForrest of B.org 12/21/04 10:26 a.m.
                 Re: Eternal Mk IVukimalefu 12/21/04 3:50 p.m.
           Re: Eternal Mk IVblake37 12/21/04 10:45 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.