/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Folding Space
Posted By: Adam AshwellDate: 12/19/04 11:51 a.m.

I was looking through some terminals on the Story Page, and I saw some things about folding space that confused me. I've taken folding space to mean an almost (or actually) instantaneous transit from one location to another without actually traveling the distance. The Jjaro certainly had this technology, and we can assume the Pfhor did because, not only did Durandal fold around the L'howon system (as said in the Manual Text for Marathon 2) in the Boomer, a stolen Pfhor ship, but the Hfarl (the ship Blake and his men took and left in) seemed to have it too, as Durandal says:

"Robert Blake left something for you a few minutes ago. He and the other humans captured a Pfhor refueling ship and found or forced someone to pilot it for them. They folded out of the system immediately after I received the message, without so much as a "Thanks for saving us from becoming plasma on Tau Ceti, Durandal."

Fatum Iustum Stoltorum, Terminal 2

Now, it's possible (but doubtlfully so) that Durandal might have discovered this technology or something and enhanced the Boomer accordingly, but if the Hfarl could fold, then the Pfhor definetly possesed the technology. But Durandal also says this:

"We're going to have visitors soon. The Western Arm of Pfhor Battle Group Seven is en-route and should be here in about twenty hours."

Now it would seem to me that, if Pfhor ships could fold space, and if folding space is what I think it is, Battle Group Seven could be there whenever they wanted. This raises a question. That is, what is folding space? It's apparent that it's not instantaneous travel, as suggested by the ETA for Battle Group Seven, unless there's some sort of exception for big fleet movements. What do you all think?

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Folding SpaceAdam Ashwell 12/19/04 11:51 a.m.
     Re: Folding Spaceblake37 12/19/04 12:04 p.m.
     Re: Folding SpaceForrest of B.org 12/19/04 2:04 p.m.
           Re: Folding SpaceAdam Ashwell 12/19/04 2:49 p.m.
                 see also: BattleTech Jumpships / Jumpdrives *NM*thermoplyae 12/19/04 5:13 p.m.
           Re: Folding SpaceBlayne 12/20/04 11:25 a.m.
     Re: Folding SpaceReiginko 12/19/04 7:19 p.m.
     Re: Folding SpaceMalakite 12/20/04 12:01 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.