/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

The Most Important Anniversary Ever
Posted By: poena.dare (n.d.y)Date: 12/15/04 5:33 a.m.

Gentlemens and Laddies:

I was checking my calendar today when I noticed the THIS COMING TUESDAY, DECEMBER 21st WILL BE THE 10th ANNIVERSARY OF THE RELEASE OF MARATHON!

But could I be wrong? Consider:

Matt Soell said that Marathon shipped on Dec 23.

Since Google has screwed up Usenet searches, I was at a loss to remember where I got that date. Thank Mithra for Hamish! [Link] [Link]

Date: Fri, 23 Dec 1994 18:56:37 GMT
I just bought Marathon from a local bookstore in Louisville, Kentucky. I cant believe I got it there before my MacWarehouse order came in. I placed the order on July 22, 1994. Amazing.

I guess it's theoretically possible that Bungie shipped Marathon on the morning of Dec 23 and it got to "a bookstore in Louisville, Kentucky" that evening. But I wouldn't bet on it.

Hamish, himself, thinks it shipped on Dec 21st. That's good enough for me.

Reagrdless, next week you should set aside a little time to recall the Good Old Days (if you were there back then). Everyone should ponder on the fact that if it wasn't for a story idea about a cyborg warrior, some AIs - one of them crazy - and some creepy alien slavers, we all wouldn't be here right now and most likely the world would have ended anyway.

Considering the advances that have been made in games since 1994, I can hardly wait for Dec 21st, 2014!

-pd

P.S. We do know that yesterday, 10 years ago, Marathon was effectively finished:

Marathon is finished. We've slept <10 hours over the last four days. We all put our hearts into this, not to mention the 14 hour days for months on end, so we hope you like it. Last polygon filled 6:05 PM Saturday, December 14. Carnage ensued closely thereafter. Er, I mean sleep.
P.P.S. It was a Wednesday, NOT a Saturday, btw.

The Penultimate Bungie Giga-Quiz

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

The Most Important Anniversary Everpoena.dare (n.d.y) 12/15/04 5:33 a.m.
     Re: The Most Important Anniversary EverVid Boi 12/15/04 5:49 a.m.
           Re: The Most Important Anniversary EverK-chi 12/15/04 5:58 a.m.
                 Re: The Most Important Anniversary EverAndrew Nagy 12/16/04 9:56 a.m.
     Re: The Most Important Anniversary EverForrest of B.org 12/15/04 7:28 a.m.
           Re: The Most Important Anniversary EverAndromeda_5[Kilo] 12/15/04 8:21 a.m.
     Re: The Most Important Anniversary EverRyu'Toth 12/15/04 10:11 a.m.
           Re: The Most Important Anniversary EverK-chi 12/15/04 3:23 p.m.
                 Re: The Most Important Anniversary EverAndromeda_5[Kilo] 12/17/04 3:01 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.