/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

OK, this is what I've got so far
Posted By: Vid BoiDate: 11/7/04 4:24 a.m.

Squeezed down a lot, but this is the information I'll put in my hooray-celebration-Marathon-10-years article. Please point out errors ^^;

(And stuff I forgot.)

PiD, the first game to mix shoot'em up and adventure, was released in 1993, and it is visually similar to Wolfenstein 3D although it has higher resolution on textures and more story and puzzle elements in its GUI. (I don't want to say that it "looks like Wolfenstein 3D", because it doesn't really, is there some better comparison?)

A few months later work started on the sequel Marathon, which started as a modofied PiD engine and a story relocation into outer space, and ended as [lots of superlatives].

December 21, 1994, Marathon was released. 10 years later, fans have written hundreds of megabytes worth of story analysis and speculation, created thousands of homemade levels (many while editors had to be reverse engineered by the fans first), more than 30 scenarios (although I wrote "3rd party expansions", because people these days don't know what a scenario is), and Aleph One for Linux, Win, OSX. Fans dress up as Marathon characters, shave the logo into their heads, tattoo the logo, change their names to Durandal, say frog blast the vent core on the radio.

Story introduction, the player comes to Marathon and unfortunately an AI has gone whack, another was sabotaged and Halo-like aliens have attacked. This quite ordinary sci fi plot evolves into a philosophical, epic space adventure.

People think Marathon is "Doom for the Mac", because it was released in the middle of Doom's great popularity era, but Marathon introduced a lot of stuff, some of which is standard today; allied characters, swimmable water, dual wielding, voice communication, millions of colors, looking up and down, and a bunch of multiplayer gametypes. Most of all it was the first action game with a story, and the only one until Half-Life which was released in1998 and for the record had several obvious Marathon elements in it.

In-jokes are in Halo, Myth, Tron 2.0, Oni and more.

This is how to play Marathon: 1 download M1A1, 2 download Aleph One, 3 put A1 in M1A1 folder, 4 you're done.

If you want, you may also download; texture enhancement pack, music remixes/enhacements

[Click here to download the original Marathon, playable in OS9] <- I'll remove that lest I hear directly from a Bungie employee that it's OK...

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

OK, this is what I've got so farVid Boi 11/7/04 4:24 a.m.
     Re: OK, this is what I've got so farBob-B-Q 11/7/04 5:12 a.m.
           Re: OK, this is what I've got so farMe_43 11/7/04 1:03 p.m.
                 Re: OK, this is what I've got so farTasnu Arakun 11/7/04 11:19 p.m.
                       Re: OK, this is what I've got so farVid Boi 11/8/04 12:31 a.m.
     Re: OK, this is what I've got so farJohannes Gunnar 11/7/04 6:31 a.m.
           Re: OK, this is what I've got so farAdam Ashwell 11/7/04 6:32 a.m.
                 Re: OK, this is what I've got so farJohannes Gunnar 11/7/04 7:00 a.m.
     Re: OK, this is what I've got so farAndrew Nagy 11/8/04 8:39 a.m.
           Re: OK, this is what I've got so farVid Boi 11/8/04 3:09 p.m.
                 Re: OK, this is what I've got so farAdam Ashwell 11/8/04 3:15 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.