/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

The Forever War - and the Player
Posted By: BlayneDate: 11/3/04 3:29 p.m.

Since reading "The Forever War" by Joe Haldeman, I've cooked up an interesting notion.

Anyone whose read The Foreever War knows the premise: Time dilation causes after multiple space-gateway jumps has an interesting effect. To a shipboard soldier, they experience 8 months of time pasing - while decades, or in some cases - hundreds of years - have passed on Earth, and elsewhere.

Now, I realize the "folding" transport used in the Marathon universe is more akin to StarWars or Star Trek instaneous "whizz-bang" transport. Time passes the same onboard a traveling vessle as it does on Earth, or Pfhor Prime.

However: we know that Durandal places the player into stasis fairly often. I believe this would (after a few hundred years have passes since the events of the Marathon) constitute a vast gulf between the Marine and other Humans. Accent, manner of dress/armor, and any cultural references he remembered before he became a battleroid would be different.

Has this ever been explored in any 3rd party scenarios or writings?
I know in Eternal, (by Forrest) - the Marine is re-integrated (somewhat) into human society and becomes "Marcus". Is it ever quantified exactly how much time has passed at that point in Eternal?

In the Rubicon spectrum, its left vauge about exactly how many years have passed between the time you departed the Marathon to then.

This aspect also doesn't just apply to the player. Any BoB's (Blake, for example) who left Sol on the Marathon hundreds of years before would likley feel like aliens when they arrived back on Earth.

I'd love everyones thoughts on this.

-Blayne

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

The Forever War - and the PlayerBlayne 11/3/04 3:29 p.m.
     Re: The Forever War - and the PlayerForrest of B.org 11/3/04 3:44 p.m.
           Re: The Forever War - and the PlayerRyokoTK 11/3/04 4:03 p.m.
                 Re: The Forever War - and the PlayerAndromeda_5[Kilo] 11/4/04 11:51 a.m.
           Re: The Forever War - and the PlayerBob-B-Q 11/3/04 4:29 p.m.
                 Re: All Hallows Eve!Lance Kerensky 11/3/04 5:27 p.m.
                 Re: The Forever War - and the PlayerForrest of B.org 11/3/04 6:44 p.m.
                       Re: The Forever War - and the PlayerOri 11/3/04 7:22 p.m.
                             Re: The Forever War - and the PlayerBlayne 11/4/04 9:14 a.m.
                                   Re: The Forever War - and the PlayerOri 11/4/04 9:33 a.m.
                                         Re: The Forever War - and the Playerukimalefu 11/4/04 9:39 a.m.
                                               Re: The Forever War - and the PlayerVid Boi 11/4/04 10:59 a.m.
                                   Re: The Forever War - and the PlayerKommienzuspadt 11/6/04 5:32 a.m.
     Re: The Forever War - and the PlayerCheerful 11/4/04 3:27 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.