/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Also:
Posted By: Craig HardgroveDate: 10/22/04 9:05 a.m.

In Response To: Also: (Vid Boi)

: Nico: What's your recording chain (mic pre, compressor, etc) for foley work?
: Music?

: Marty: My prediction: no one cares.

: I know nothing about music, but it appears to me that Marty's answer is
: strange, and I'll go right ahead and assume that one has to read between
: the lines. Does it say "M, P, N, O, C" meaning "mic, pre,
: something, something, compressor" or what? Some music dude explain to
: me.

: (And I guess we do care :> )

I admit, I had to look this up, but sound foley is defined as "the art of taking a visual action in a film and "embellishing it" with a sound in post production. An example of this would be a fist-punch to the face in a movie... they never sound like they would in real life. So the question is asking him what his studio setup includes for recording what are essentially in-game sound effects, and if it differs for recording musical tracks.

Its not a terrible question, I mean, in regards to the foley work, Marty could have given us some tidbits about what sorts of items he used to make some of the sound effects... although I think i remember reading that somewhere recently.

In terms of what the items he was referring to are, Mic is pretty obvious, Pre I would think refers to pre-amplifier. I'm not sure what you could say about one of these other than that, yes, he does, or no, he doesn't use one. Unpowered microphones require a pre-amp which primarily power the microphone, but also allow you to modify things like input volume, gain, and if they are really fancy, you can route effects through them. Compressors, I think, are similar to pre-amps in that they amplify the signal voltage but I would say that a compressor has the added feature that it takes several audio tracks and combines them through some modulation process, so that your computer or recording device only receives one track. He might also have been referring to software compressors which are typically file formats like .mp3.

I guess the general form of his question is basically, "What sort of equipment is in your studio, and how does recording in-game audio and in-game music differ?" He just didn't phrase it that way, and I kinda agree with Marty that most people probably aren't interested in the hardware details of his studio.

That said, I did ask Alex Seropian what equipment he used to create the Marathon music, but I figured it would either be a nostagic or funny look back at the sorts of hardware people used to create music in 1994.

--Craig

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Interview with MartyVid Boi 10/22/04 4:43 a.m.
     Also:Vid Boi 10/22/04 5:05 a.m.
           Re: Also:Craig Hardgrove 10/22/04 9:05 a.m.
     Re: Interview with MartyVid Boi 10/22/04 1:08 p.m.
           Re: Interview with Martygoran 10/25/04 2:23 a.m.
                 Re: Interview with MartyVid Boi 10/25/04 10:00 a.m.
                       Re: Interview with Martygoran 10/25/04 2:51 p.m.
                             Re: Interview with MartyVid Boi 10/28/04 7:50 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.