/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

deserves an answer...
Posted By: AnaphielDate: 10/12/04 7:43 p.m.

In Response To: Re: finally done (more or less) * modem-busting DL (ukimalefu)

: First let me say that this is amazing, but Anaphiel, Why did you give him a
: face??? And why is he wearing spandex??? Still love it, but I'd like one
: with the helmet ON (you only have a small one in your site)

: Let me say this again, the poster IS great, but the Marathon marine never had
: a face. Sorry to nitpick, I shouldn't, but it bothers me.

You're not the first person who's been bugged by this. And ironically, I'm one of the all-time champions for having a FPS character be a nameless, faceless figure that you can imagine to be anyone you want, imagine to be yourself. There was a pretty good discussion about this topic a couple of years back on this very forum IIRC.

But since I started painting these Marathon pieces, I knew eventually I'd end up doing a piece with the Marine's face showing. After all, it's hard to avoid unless you want to do nothing but shots from behind, or with a full-face helmet (and since I took a lot of my design inspiration from the sprites and the M1 manual, a full-face helmet was out), or conveniently looking away, or in starkly-lit silhouette... all of which I did in earlier pieces.

I also figured that just by putting pixels to digital paper I had already dispelled the illusion to some extent: I had decided to portray a character that was intentionally left without a visual identity by Bungie. I was essentially saying "to hell with what you all imagine you look like as the Marine, this is what I say he looks like." Hell, just assuming that the Marine is a "he" is breaking the illusion isn't it? Mullins worked around that problem in his renderings by making the Marine look completely different in every painting; I made the decision early on to have a more consistent look, make him a recognizable character that would evolve over the course of a series of paintings. And once I started depicting the Marine as a character, a "real" person, I wanted to inject some personality and emotion into him, and it's hard to do that with a fully-armored figure.

So here we are, coming up on the 10th anniversary of the game, and I figured what the heck, the next painting will be the one. I felt that having the face show added to the emotion of the piece, which otherwise can get really static really fast given the pose. Helmet on, he's just chillin'. Helmet off, he looks tired, a little beaten up, like he's gathering himself (that's what I was shooting for anyway). I hedged by making a version with the helmet, but frankly I just don't like it as much.

I'm sure I'm ruining a lot of player's images of the Marine by portraying him as a Tom Cruise lookin' white guy, but hey, what can you do. This version isn't exactly how I picture him either; eventually I'll get one that looks the way he looks in my head when I play the games.

As for the spandex, I tried to keep the uniform close to how it looks in the sprites...In some of my paintings the pants have been more like regular army BDU/cargos, in this one they're more like the high-waisted disco pants in the sprites. Not sure why I changed, but that's what I was shooting for anyway.

hope that helps explain somewhat what I was thinking...

JF

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

finally done (more or less) * modem-busting DL *Anaphiel 10/11/04 5:46 p.m.
     A+ material. *NM*HolyMcGibblets 10/11/04 8:07 p.m.
     Re: finally done (more or less) * modem-busting DLD-M.A. 10/11/04 8:13 p.m.
           Re: finally done (more or less) * modem-busting DLAnaphiel 10/12/04 1:36 a.m.
                 Re: finally done (more or less) * modem-busting DLHamish Sinclair 10/12/04 11:01 a.m.
                       Re: finally done (more or less) * modem-busting DLAnaphiel 10/12/04 11:15 a.m.
                             Re: finally done (more or less) * modem-busting DLZetor 10/12/04 2:40 p.m.
                                   Adam Sandler and Ben Affleck?Anaphiel 10/12/04 2:58 p.m.
                             Re: finally done (more or less) * modem-busting DLK-chi 10/14/04 12:49 p.m.
                                   bows downblake37 10/14/04 12:52 p.m.
                                         awright everybody, get up!Anaphiel 10/14/04 1:24 p.m.
                                               Re: awright everybody, get up!blake37 10/14/04 3:19 p.m.
                                               Re: awright everybody, get up!K-chi 10/14/04 6:33 p.m.
                       Re: finally done (more or less) * modem-busting DLReiginko 11/1/04 7:05 p.m.
           Re: finally done (more or less) * modem-busting DLAndrew Nagy 10/12/04 8:55 a.m.
     Re: finally done (more or less) * modem-busting DLBob-B-Q 10/12/04 4:23 a.m.
     Posters?K-chi 10/12/04 2:21 p.m.
           Re: Posters?Yossarian 10/12/04 3:46 p.m.
                 Poster desire, thirded. *NM*Mista_B 10/12/04 4:37 p.m.
                       Re: Poster desire, Pfhorted *NM* *NM*Brian Wise (Mr. Cactus) 10/12/04 6:13 p.m.
                             Re: Poster desire, 5th, 6th & 7th'ed (3 posters) *NM*Steve Levinson 10/12/04 6:44 p.m.
     Re: finally done (more or less) * modem-busting DLukimalefu 10/12/04 7:00 p.m.
           deserves an answer...Anaphiel 10/12/04 7:43 p.m.
                 Re: deserves an answer...Vid Boi 10/13/04 2:42 a.m.
                 Re: deserves an answer...Brian Wise (Mr. Cactus) 10/13/04 3:05 p.m.
                 Re: deserves an answer...Siphonopho 10/13/04 7:34 p.m.
     Re: finally done (more or less) * modem-busting DLAndrew Nagy 10/12/04 7:59 p.m.
           Re: finally done (more or less) * modem-busting DLAnaphiel 10/12/04 8:55 p.m.
     Am I imagining things?K-chi 10/22/04 10:20 a.m.
           Re: Am I imagining things?deathmonger 10/22/04 11:55 a.m.
                 Re: Am I imagining things?ukimalefu 10/22/04 1:28 p.m.
                       Re: Am I imagining things?Forrest of B.org 10/22/04 4:37 p.m.
                 Re: Am I imagining things?K-chi 10/22/04 3:08 p.m.
                       Re: Am I imagining things?B|aZ 11/13/04 1:18 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.