/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Well, I thought *everyone* knows that...
Posted By: "Can-ned Food"Date: 10/11/04 1:09 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Okay, here's the email I sent (Adam Ashwell)

So much for being "really cool," eh? ;-)

: Ah, but you forgot something. In The Hobbit, and I believe in the Lord of the
: Rings too, Gandalf's sword is called Foe Hammer in addition to whatever
: else it's called (or maybe Foe Hammer is Thorin's sword...). And, there is
: not only a level in Marathon Infinity taking place on the Boomer (I
: believe) called Foe Hammer, but in Halo, the dropship is also called Foe
: Hammer.

Glamdring = "Foe hammer"
BTW, Thorin's was Orcrist, Orc-rist "goblin-cutter" or "goblin-cleaver." There was also a sword or a person called Angrist in Tolkien's mythos, which meant iron-cleaver (ang- being "iron" in maybe Middle Elvish IIRC). I can't quite remember, I'll have to check my Making of Middle-Earth series by his son Christopher. They have nice glossaries at the end.

And so I don't spam: Bob-B-Q, did you know that the beginning of Myth was apparently imitated by the Merlin movie, starring Sam Neill, of a few years ago? Sometime I'll check up on what the Myth people know, and possibly transcribe it.

The monologue at the beginning of Myth so excellent. "In a time long past, the armies of the Dark came again into the lands of Men. ..." The music was the perfect complement, just so that merely typing the words out isn't sufficient to evoke what hearing the intro. does.
*Ahem* Anyway, enough of the Off Topic.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

On the Submission of Allusions and References"Can-ned Food" 10/9/04 6:54 a.m.
     Tell us, and let us confirm 'em. *NM*Bob-B-Q 10/9/04 6:59 a.m.
           We wanna know! That sounds really cool. *NM*Adam Ashwell 10/9/04 7:08 a.m.
                 Thirded! *NM*Mista_B 10/9/04 8:30 a.m.
     Foe Hammer? *NM*Andrew Nagy 10/9/04 11:25 a.m.
     Well I just sent it to Hamish. *NM*"Can-ned Food" 10/9/04 1:17 p.m.
           Okay, here's the email I sent"Can-ned Food" 10/11/04 9:38 a.m.
                 Re: Okay, here's the email I sentAdam Ashwell 10/11/04 9:49 a.m.
                       Re: Okay, here's the email I sentBob-B-Q 10/11/04 11:32 a.m.
                       Well, I thought *everyone* knows that..."Can-ned Food" 10/11/04 1:09 p.m.
                       Minor correctionYossarian 10/11/04 3:46 p.m.
                             Re: Minor correctionAdam Ashwell 10/11/04 4:03 p.m.
                 Re: Okay, here's the email I sentHamish Sinclair 10/12/04 11:05 a.m.
                       Re: Okay, here's the email I sentSpeaker-To-Animals 10/12/04 12:36 p.m.
                             Re: Okay, here's the email I sentHamish Sinclair 10/13/04 8:50 a.m.
                                   Re: Okay, here's the email I sentForrest of B.org 10/13/04 9:40 a.m.
                                         Well put, Forrest *NM*Steve Levinson 10/13/04 12:06 p.m.
                                         Re: Okay, here's the email I sentHamish Sinclair 10/14/04 10:03 a.m.
                                   Re: Okay, here's the email I sentVaxuum BOB 10/13/04 9:40 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.