/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Reasoning why RED *could* be an alternate univ
Posted By: BlayneDate: 9/26/04 5:04 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Reasoning why RED *could* be an alternate univ (Dylan)

: Let’s try to fit RED into the rubicon timeframe. Five years after the
: marathon the uesc citizens rebelled and created the Terran alliance.

The above point, to the sentence below is a substantial logic leap, Dylan.

: M infinity never says the uesc is still around, you’ve been gone seventeen years.

Dylan, saying that it was simply Durandal/the Player not knowing the UESC fell because they were out of the political loop for 17 years is fairly shortsighted.

By your own admission, RED would have to take place after Rubicon - due to the Pfhor empire existing in Rubicon.

: They build an incredibly powerful and costly army unlike any
: mankind has ever seen on Px-139.

The colonized planet Px-139 isn't described in RED as being some kind of "Reach"-esk military world. The only army that comes/is spawned on/ this world is the Organics/Metalloids.

The Pfhor are nearly annihilated.
: Unfortunately the W’rk arrive about then on Px-139. the army is destroyed and the Terrans thrown into turmoil.

The only "Terrans" in RED that are around Px-139 are those on the same ship that Ian and the RED marine are on. Did you even play this game?

: The people again revolt and reestablish the uesc. This however allows the Pfhor time to salvage their empire. On top of that the new Uesc army is nothing like the Terran one. Think about it GI bob versus RED marine. Oh, and why not have some Dangi scientists investigating the Px-139 ruins? ;-)

Because the DANGI scientists in Rubicon were kidnapped at the end of Rubicon by Durandal for his own zany purposes.

I now see how your train of thought is functioning. To you: somehow, the UESC is overthrown in time for RED, then reinstated (along with decimated Pfhor empire) in time for Rubicon to occur.

: Now: I think the Jjiaro would only communicate with the marathon marine- he’s destiny.

I can concede that - but it’s usually accepted that the Jjaro can communicate with (hypothetically) any of the Mjolnir marines as they all were created with Jjaro implanted technology (see the “Jjaro underpants” concept) during times that the universal balance is threatened.
I believe Ian M. simply wasn’t taking this into consideration when he wrote the part of another Mjolnir marine (albeit, one driven insane by the destruction of Tau Ceti colony). If the Jjaro (or their A.i’s) would go to the trouble of sending someone's consciousness through time/space to prevent one W’kkr’s release... why keep silent to a potential hero in the face of two released W’kkrs? Alas - it’s not detailed in RED, but something I hint at in WMaiD.

: Oh, the jjiaro are mentioned in RED for Mr. Levin’s sake.

I’m curious: Is “for Mr. Levin’s Sake” to be similar to “for Gods sake”?
I know that the Jjaro are mentioned in RED as the PiD connection (Joshua was apparently the sleeping God in PiD that the Jjaro messenger warned the President about).

However, you missed my point in stating the lack of Jjaro in RED.
To clarify;
The Jjaro are referred to in the same way that “Hey, I talked with the Jjaro a few thousand years ago. They’re doing awesome!”

There isn’t any Jjaro communication with the player (via dream, or reality) in RED. Do you understand the difference?

: As for the textures look at M2 then M infinity. Infity doesn’t use new
: textures it alters the M2 textures. So does RED.

Again, did you play these games Dylan?
The Marathon 2 and Marathon Infinity Texture sets are the same, yes.
All except the 4th (of five), Slot #20 - the Jjaro texture slot. The same goes for scenery slots, and the VacBob I believe.

The “Jjaro” texture set, introduced in Marathon Infinity is totally unique from the Pfhor, and S’pht (both sewer and Lava) texture sets seen in M2, and even those fround in M1.

Your statement that RED simply modified existing textures from M2 is slightly... problematic. Ian, I believe created most of the RED Human texture sets from the Jjaro texture set of infinity. Not because he thought humanity found Jjaro materials at some point and said “Hey, lets unify out interior styles and technology”. I created that explanation. :)

However, Ian does use Jjaro textures (not connected to any human or S'pht ones) as the basis for RED’s.

: Now the reason W’rks are a problem is because they’re insane and
: ego statistical. The RED player does not seem to be.

Correct. The RED player is homicidal and crazy. Hence his ability to turn to the ‘dark side’ and, you know... kill lots of very human people. I always percieved that the W’kkr were a “bad” thing because they were a chaotic element that would destabilize the universe... but maybe I’m simply crazy too.

: In the RED physics the tanks minor actually fight for the pfhor and the major ones are on the human side.

Mark, can you confirm this? At no point do I recall there being Juggernaut Tanks that fight for the Pfhor Dylan. Ian remarks something to this extent on his site - however: It’s been shown that the Site and what’s actually in-game do not always correlate.

In closing I have a final question: Am I actually wasting my time arguing comparative 3rd party Marathon scenario cannon with someone who is 12?

In any case: I’m off to watch a few episodes of Firefly. Any connections to a doomed RED-like universe I create in WMaiD will be revealed when the public plays it. From that point onward, people can theorize away. : )

-Blayne

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Scenario News updated.A Chinese Austin Powers 9/20/04 11:55 p.m.
     Re: Scenario News updated.Andromeda_5[Kilo] 9/21/04 2:43 a.m.
           Re: Scenario News updated.goran 9/21/04 3:27 a.m.
           Re: Scenario News updated.Steve Levinson 9/21/04 8:23 a.m.
                 Re: Scenario News updated.D-M.A. 9/21/04 8:32 a.m.
                 Re: Scenario News updated.Andromeda_5[Kilo] 9/21/04 8:44 a.m.
                 Red 2 PonderingsBlayne 9/22/04 7:12 a.m.
                       Re: Red 2 PonderingsSteve Levinson 9/22/04 6:11 p.m.
                       Re: Red 2 PonderingsMark Levin 9/22/04 8:06 p.m.
                       Re: Red 2 PonderingsDylan 9/23/04 6:08 p.m.
                             Reasoning why RED *could* be an alternate universeBlayne 9/23/04 7:30 p.m.
                                   Re: Reasoning why RED *could* be an alternate univMark Levin 9/24/04 4:25 a.m.
                                         Of the Jjaro in PiD and thoughts on the MaraverseBlayne 9/24/04 7:42 a.m.
                                               Re: Of the Jjaro in PiD and thoughts on the MaraveAndrew Nagy 9/24/04 4:24 p.m.
                                                     Re: Of the Jjaro in PiD and thoughts on the MaraveAndrew Nagy 12/8/04 3:09 p.m.
                                                           Re: Of the Jjaro in PiD and thoughts on the MaraveBlayne 12/12/04 5:28 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Of the Jjaro in PiD and thoughts on the MaraveForrest of B.org 12/13/04 8:09 a.m.
                                                                       What about Tron? *NM*Andrew Nagy 12/13/04 10:54 a.m.
                                   Re: Reasoning why RED *could* be an alternate univDylan 9/25/04 6:33 a.m.
                                         Re: Reasoning why RED *could* be an alternate univBlayne 9/26/04 5:04 p.m.
                                               Re: Reasoning why RED *could* be an alternate univMark Levin 9/26/04 7:09 p.m.
                                                     Understood Mark. *NM*Blayne 9/28/04 2:51 p.m.
                                               Re: Reasoning why RED *could* be an alternate univDylan 9/29/04 3:17 p.m.
                                                     Re: Reasoning why RED *could* be an alternate univMark Levin 9/29/04 4:36 p.m.
     AntianomaticForrest of B.org 9/21/04 9:14 a.m.
     Re: Scenario News updated.Adam Ashwell 9/21/04 9:46 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.