/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Weird bug in Eternal Ch3...
Posted By: Forrest of B.orgDate: 9/22/04 8:14 p.m.

So I'm in the bugtesting phase for Ch3, and I've got this one level that's crashing Aleph for some reason I just can't figure out.

At first it appeared that the problem may have had something to do with a complex multi-platform combination lock I had built, because one of the spots that it crashes was trying to cross through the opened doorway after the lock was undone, and also because there was a weird rendering glitch looking at it, some sort of z-buffering error or something, because some polys behind it were showing through it. But I made a copy of that map and got rid of the combination lock, replacing it with fewer polys that are just plain polys, not platforms. I tested again and it still crashes there, as well as in the other place it's crashes, a tight spot in the center of the map.

So my next thought was, maybe this is some sort of too-many-parallel-lines bug, as I've seen before. This map has a LOT of parallel lines; the tight central area, while appearing rather organic, has a lot of transparent parallel lines dividing up the polys; and the room behind the combination lock is lined with 20-30 "cages" in rows, which are all square and made of 5 polys each and thus produce a lot of parallel lines. There are three such areas on the map, which could also contribute.

So, I went through and nudged around a lot of lines to make them nonparallel and majorly remodelled the cage area to be likewise less parallel, and it STILL crashes in both those places. The engine starts to lag a lot, frame rates drop like a bomb, and then if I keep going an inch further into the area, all of AO hangs up and dies.

Does anybody have any idea what might be crashing this map? It used to work a long time ago, and I'm pretty sure I had it working under Aleph at some point more recently. I can't think of what might have changed to break it.

If anybody wants to take a look at the map, they can grab it online at http://eternal.psyjnir.net/files/Maps/Scenario/_Merge/L22.LetSleepingGodsDie

Thanks!

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Weird bug in Eternal Ch3...Forrest of B.org 9/22/04 8:14 p.m.
     Re: Weird bug in Eternal Ch3...Speaker-To-Animals 9/22/04 8:47 p.m.
           Re: Weird bug in Eternal Ch3...Forrest of B.org 9/23/04 7:44 a.m.
           Re: Weird bug in Eternal Ch3...Speaker-To-Animals 9/29/04 3:13 p.m.
                 Re: Weird bug in Eternal Ch3...Forrest of B.org 9/29/04 5:25 p.m.
     Re: Weird bug in Eternal Ch3...goran 9/23/04 12:47 p.m.
           Re: Weird bug in Eternal Ch3...Forrest of B.org 9/23/04 3:58 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.