/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Does Marathon 2: Durandal work on Windows XP?
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 9/12/04 3:02 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Does Marathon 2: Durandal work on Windows XP? (reagan64)

: Aleph One is way 2 complicated for me. Can I just buy the game, or does
: nobody sell it anymore?

M2 Win has been out of print for years. You can occasionally find a copy on e-bay, but there is a free alternative. I don't know if it's strictly legal, but Underdogs considers it to be in the public domain and has it listed with their open source collection. You can download it here, and it runs just fine in Win XP - I've run it under Virtual PC just to try it out before I created my own version of Trojan for AO.

The Mac Action Sack is now history, as the last copy was sold by the Bungie Store a week ago. This means that there no longer is any way to buy any Marathon game retail. At least M1A1 is available, and with the above link, anyone can play M2 on any platform using AO. Now we just need to get Infinity available for download and we'll be all set.

Now, what is it about AO that is too complicated for you? All you need is the M2 game files, a copy of the AO SDL application and the new high-res textures and you'll be playing a much nicer game. The only issue is having to download the stuff from more than one website and then put everything in one folder. If you find that too complicated, how did you ever learn to tie your shoes? Sorry, I know that was too harsh, but using AO really is about as simple as it gets.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Does Marathon 2: Durandal work on Windows XP?reagan64 9/12/04 9:49 a.m.
     If it works for Win 95, it should work for XP *NM*deathmonger 9/12/04 11:24 a.m.
     Works for me. *NM*Bob-B-Q 9/12/04 11:33 a.m.
     Re: Does Marathon 2: Durandal work on Windows XP?a disreputable source 9/12/04 11:44 a.m.
           Re: Does Marathon 2: Durandal work on Windows XP?reagan64 9/12/04 12:01 p.m.
                 Re: Does Marathon 2: Durandal work on Windows XP?HolyMcGibblets 9/12/04 1:21 p.m.
                 Re: Does Marathon 2: Durandal work on Windows XP?Steve Levinson 9/12/04 3:02 p.m.
                       Re: Does Marathon 2: Durandal work on Windows XP?Bob-B-Q 9/12/04 4:30 p.m.
                             Too bad he can't do the same for the Mac Sack *NM*Steve Levinson 9/12/04 5:33 p.m.
                             Re: Does Marathon 2: Durandal work on Windows XP?Andrew Nagy 9/12/04 8:17 p.m.
                                   Re: Does Marathon 2: Durandal work on Windows XP?Steve Levinson 9/12/04 9:21 p.m.
                                         Re: Does Marathon 2: Durandal work on Windows XP?Bob-B-Q 9/13/04 4:11 a.m.
                                         Re: Does Marathon 2: Durandal work on Windows XP?Andrew Nagy 10/7/04 6:42 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.