/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Making A Manual For Marathon
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 9/12/04 7:41 a.m.

In Response To: Making A Manual For Marathon (Dominick)

As has already been mentioned, the hulks don't hurl grenades - that was only in Rubicon. You should mention that the mix of enemies changes with the difficulty setting - when you play on TC, you will only face purple and blue fighters, red troopers, green hunters and purple compilers. Actually, I don't think of the compilers or troopers as purple - it's more of a maroon color for the compilers and red color for the troopers.

The biggest complaint I have with your draft is that it screams NEWBIE. I hope this isn't stepping on your toes, but it sounds like something written by a kid who just finished playing M1 and who hasn't read the Story Page at all. There is so much more depth to the monsters and the weapons that make the game much more enjoyable to play. And the monsters ought to be arranged by classification - eg. there are 2 types of fighters - projectile and non-projectile, and within each there are 2 classes - minor and major. In fact, there are two classes for all of the monsters, right up through the juggernauts. Also, each monster has its own strengths and vulnerabilities. Hunters, for example, are immune to the TOTZ, but surprisingly susceptable to fists - so much so that you can stand-punch a solitary hunter without taking any damage.

In terms of the weapons, you absolutely can take on a trooper with dual magnums, and the most versatile weapon of all is the fist - it's ammo supply is infinite and you can kill virtually anything with your fists except juggernauts. You should mention the trade-offs in weapons - the magnum is by far the most accurate weapon, but it takes a long time to reload and it can't be used to toggle switches. The AR has the most stopping power of any weapon, but it's the least accurate. Also, for Pete's sake, don't spare the grenades! The beauty of the AR is that the bullets and grenades are nicely balanced, and you should try to use them at about the same rate since the ammo is more or less supplied that way. There are certainly times that you can only use bullets because you're too close to your enemy, or you don't want to destroy the enforcer's weapon. There are also times when you want to use grenades only, particularly at a distance. Most of the time, however, you should use both together - the bullets will stop the monster dead in its tracks and the grenades will finish it off. If you face a monster for whom you find grenades to be a waste (eg. wasps or non-projectile fighters), you shouldn't be wasting AR ammo at all - you should use the magnums, or your fist.

Say, isn't much of this covered in the original Marathon manuals themselves?

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Making A Manual For MarathonDominick 9/11/04 7:58 p.m.
     Cool. *is deja-vu'd* *NM*Mista_B 9/11/04 9:31 p.m.
     Re: grenadethrowing hulks•M 9/12/04 5:13 a.m.
           Re: grenadethrowing hulksAdam Ashwell 9/12/04 6:33 a.m.
     Are you sure this is for Marathon?Tiger 9/12/04 6:37 a.m.
     Re: Making A Manual For MarathonSteve Levinson 9/12/04 7:41 a.m.
           Re: Making A Manual For Marathon•M 9/12/04 9:08 a.m.
     Re: Making A Manual For MarathonAdam Ashwell 9/12/04 12:36 p.m.
     I'd rather stick with the actual manual, myself.RyokoTK 9/12/04 3:16 p.m.
           Along with those, what about major juggernauts? :P *NM*thermoplyae 9/12/04 6:04 p.m.
           Re: I'd rather stick with the actual manual, myselTiger 9/13/04 1:45 p.m.
                 Re: I'd rather stick with the actual manual, myselMark Levin 9/13/04 5:32 p.m.
                       Re: I'd rather stick with the actual manual, myselRyokoTK 9/13/04 5:44 p.m.
                             Re: I'd rather stick with the actual manual, myselTiger 9/14/04 2:16 p.m.
                                   POST *NM*Tiger 9/15/04 4:02 a.m.
                                         POST! *NM*Tiger 9/15/04 1:44 p.m.
                                               POST!! *NM*Tiger 9/15/04 6:24 p.m.
                                                     Re: POST!!Forrest of B.org 9/15/04 6:33 p.m.
                                                           Forrest...Tiger 9/15/04 6:56 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Forrest...Forrest of B.org 9/15/04 8:20 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Forrest...Adam Ashwell 9/16/04 3:30 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Forrest...Forrest of B.org 9/16/04 7:14 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Forrest...ukimalefu 9/16/04 5:52 a.m.
                                                                       OH, no... YOUR MOM! *NM*Tiger 9/16/04 6:48 p.m.
                                                                             But don't forget to hold down the control key *NM*Steve Levinson 9/16/04 10:00 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: But don't forget to hold down the control keyForrest of B.org 9/16/04 11:00 p.m.
                                                                                   Control-YOURMOM?Forrest of B.org 9/17/04 7:42 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Forrest...Andrew Nagy/Document 9/16/04 10:21 a.m.
           Re: I'd rather stick with the actual manual, myselDominick 11/22/04 4:04 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.