/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: OT: Computer Question
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 9/11/04 5:23 p.m.

In Response To: Re: OT: Computer Question (Cheerful)

: I was thinking I would just give them a bootable drive, in which case I would
: use the installation disks that came with my computer? If I did this,
: would the data be unrecoverable? Its probably not that big of a deal, but
: I tend to be a bit paranoid when it comes to social security numbers and
: stuff.

That's a very good question and I'm not 100% sure. I know that a standard install will leave your existing data all over the hard drive and that even you with the right software could recover some of it. There may be an option during the installation process to do a secure erase - to completely overwrite the drive with zeros. If so, that shoule be sufficient. If not, once the hard drive has been reformatted and the OS installed, you should overwrite all free space on the hard drive to be sure that nothing is left. There are many free and shareware utilities to do this. I'm not sure I trust anything I've seen that's free. One of the least expensive shareware utilities is Freerasor by SubRosa Software - for $13, you can't go wrong.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

OT: Computer QuestionCheerful 8/31/04 7:53 a.m.
     Re: OT: Computer QuestionSteve Levinson 8/31/04 10:08 a.m.
           Re: OT: Computer QuestionCheerful 9/11/04 12:01 p.m.
                 Re: OT: Computer QuestionSteve Levinson 9/11/04 1:38 p.m.
                       Re: OT: Computer QuestionCheerful 9/11/04 3:13 p.m.
                             Re: OT: Computer QuestionSteve Levinson 9/11/04 5:23 p.m.
                                   Re: OT: Computer Questiona disreputable source 9/12/04 11:58 a.m.
                                         Re: OT: Computer QuestionCheerful 9/12/04 9:29 p.m.
                                               Re: OT: Computer QuestionCheerful 9/13/04 12:17 a.m.
                                               Re: OT: Computer QuestionCheerful 9/13/04 8:11 a.m.
                                                     Re: OT: Computer QuestionForrest of B.org 9/13/04 8:24 a.m.
                                                           Re: OT: Computer QuestionCheerful 9/13/04 9:23 a.m.
                                                           Re: OT: Computer QuestionAdam Ashwell 9/13/04 9:40 a.m.
                                                                 Re: OT: Computer QuestionForrest of B.org 9/13/04 9:46 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.