/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Response to comments
Posted By: Forrest of B.orgDate: 9/3/04 5:25 p.m.

Just gathering this all into one thread so it's easier for me to address -

I know about the floating hunters, I tried fixing it in Mk II and it caused some weird bug with Forge (but not with Aleph, oddly enough), so I reverted them. It'll take some work to get that figured out.

Regarding the redo of level 4 and it's relation to branching timelines, as Steve said already (in much simpler words) I rather like the realism of having the time split actually happen due to player actions, and not some forced nearly-identical copy levels. I'll try to make it beatable on TC with monster impassible polys. Also, John said that unskilled players might get sick of not beating the timer on L4 and just retry L4 until they get it - that's always what I imagined they would do, and why inititally there was only a pattern buffer at the start, not the end. The level was a one-through shot, you either beat the clock or not, and if not and you don't want to reply the failure branch, then try again. But it see that it should be easier to beat it on higher difficulty levels than it is now, though as someone else said, I don't want a repeat of "Hairy Legs", where everybody who plays on lower difficulties can just breeze through it the first time. I think the fact that the time limit is not emphasized will discourage that though, and players the second time through WILL realize that there is a time limit... if only they can beat it.

As far as Level 5, etc goes, I'm glad that you guys do actually like it. I was starting to feel bad for poor Bill who built the thing, cause all it's been getting was negative feedback. For the record I do like the architecture and design of it but it seems everybody hated it for the random platform triggers, and that drove me nuts too. So I was going to eventually have it scrapped and replaced with a modification of Adam's bridge level concept, which is logically where this "transponder" thing would be located anyway. But if you guys do like it other than the platform triggers and the other assorted bugs that John mentioned, then that's good, it will save a lot of reconstruction.

Regarding the rearrangement of levels 5, 6, and 9, and Adam's bridge level thing, I really want Durandal and Tycho's physical cores to look the same, as they are both Marathon AI cores and thus would be nearly identical. Only the areas around them should differ. So that rules out making "Un-Wired" into Durandal's core. However, I do like Adam's bridge level idea, and I agree that Level 9 needs some serious work, even so far as scrapping everything outside the core itself. So what do you all think of this plan:

Level 5 remains "Un-Wired", with changes as suggested here.

Level 6 is still Durandal's core, BUT, it's a "new" level, taking just the core design and building the area around it differently. What I'm thinking is, Durandal's core IS near the bridge (and I guess "Un-Wired" would probably be nearby as well), so you go through all of Adam's bridge level to get to and unlock Durandal's core. Since Durandal is basically in charge of all the autonomous functions it makes sense he would be in the control center of the ship. Leela, I'd imagine, is nearer the crew quarters etc, while Tycho of course is in engineering.

Level 9 becomes "Core Done Blew" (the present level 6).

Given that nobody pokes major holes in that idea, Adam, I would like it if your priorities for Mk III would please be:

1) Finish the two missing levels for Ch2
2) Implement all the minor bugfixes for Ch1 and Ch2 as discussed here and elsewhere.
3) Build the new level 6, the bridge / Durandal's core. You can just take a copy of L9 and delete everything but the core itself, and build your bridge plans around that.

We've got about five weeks till Mk III, so keep that schedule in mind. The two missing levels in Ch2 are of utmost importance.

Lets see what else is there... I'll make the platforms in both cores go faster, and probably lower the respawn rate on the compilers as well. They bugged me a lot too. To address Adam's comments, yes, the platforms are neccesary, in case the player has no grenades to use and they HAVE to use their fists. About the freeze-up on L6, would lowering the "max" numbers in the monster settings help solve this?

Blake, I'm not sure what's up with "My Kingdom Pfhor A Horse", let me give that a run through right now and see if I get the bug...

Huh. Yep, that's definitely a bug. Wonder how I missed that. Ok, attention everybody:
YOU CANNOT BEAT LEVEL 18, "MY KINGDOM PFHOR A HORSE". The end terminal doesn't take you out like it should. Let me check into why... aha. Terminal had the wrong script assigned to it somehow. Fixed now. Blake, I also looked into your complaint about the, I guess it was boringness of the first part of that level, how you really don't have to fight anything and can just run... I'd added some more monsters, opened up a passage to the other half of the outside area that was previously just eye candy, and put that first door on a lock timer so the player is forced to stay outside and fight for a while. (Story excuse: Leela is trying to get you into the complex but it takes her a while).

I think that's about it for bug reports so far. Looking forward to more. Thanks guys!

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Response to commentsForrest of B.org 9/3/04 5:25 p.m.
     Re: Response to commentsD-M.A. 9/3/04 8:15 p.m.
     Re: Response to commentsSteve Levinson 9/3/04 8:39 p.m.
           The nature of 3 AIsSteve Levinson 9/4/04 12:12 p.m.
     Re: Response to commentsblake37 9/4/04 2:53 a.m.
           Re: Response to commentsblake37 9/4/04 3:16 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.