/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: PF Volunteers - Omega
Posted By: Dr. John SumnerDate: 8/31/04 3:07 a.m.

In Response To: PF Volunteers - Omega (Steve Levinson)

: Omega is perhaps
: my favorite level in the scenario

This is also one of my favorite levels too. Probably not THE favorite, but pretty close.

: Because it is an extermination level, however, you do need to explore
: everywhere and kill everything. If you finish and still can't leave,
: you've either not looked everywhere or you missed a hidden alien - in my
: own case the first time through, it was the jugger in the northeast room,
: who managed to hide high above me.

Ok, you don't have to kill everything despite it being extermination. In M1, if the level is designated as extermination, then all Juggernauts must be killed. Otherwise, up to 8 enemies are forgiven. This is assuming the creator of the level does not have any hidden inaccessible enemies. Ironically, the enemy you had left Steve was a Juggernaut. That's why you were not allowed to leave, despite having killed everything else.

: Directly west of your starting position there is a door
: that is partly blocked at the moment, but it will open later - it's on an
: incredibly long and rather clever time delay.

Actually, that door is player controllable from the outset. It opens only partly open tabbing it the first time. Tab it again and it opens fully. I discovered that by accident one day.

: Behind the door is a
: t-shaped corridor - to the left is a door to a corridor filled with wasps
: - don't open it unless you're curious.

I have a problem with this kind of design on an extermination level. I can imagine a situation where a player cannot leave the level because there are still enemies left alive, and the enemies left alive are these wasps down an inaccessible corridor. I have actually activated these wasps and had them get stuck in that same area. Fortunately I was able to shoot at them. They could have easily been out of range for me. Mapmakers need to be careful with extermination levels. Make sure the player CAN defeat all of the enemies, so that exitting the level is assured. I recall one level on Trojan (can't remember the name of the level) where the level was designated extermination, there were 8 inaccessible enemies, and the creator of the level had set it to have infinitely regenerating Lookers (or whatever those round exploding enemies were). Since the level was quite extensive in size, the Lookers could regenerate at some distance from the exit terminal. It was annoying to try and leave the level, only to have to go on another search for another Looker. I realize that situation won't occur here in PF, but mapmakers of the future should keep things like that in mind.

: No need to waste rockets on him - a couple
: rounds of the faser does the trick.

And those players that want a riskier challenge can take him out with Fists. Also if the Jugg is lethargic and is stationed near the other exit as Steve mentioned, another non-ammo strategy is to position yourself between the Jugg and a projectile fighter. Let the fighter shoot at you, duck out of the way, and let the bolts strike the Jugg. Most of the time the Jugg has no reaction when the bolts strike it.

: There are numerous enforcers,
: fighters and even some hulks to take out (they're usually gone by the time
: you return), and a couple of invisible compilers that are surprisingly
: effective in hitting you with their guided bolts from around a corner when
: you least expect it. And they are immune to attack by the juggernaut in
: here - too bad.

Actually I am glad of that. Matt, since Steve has now mentioned this, I appeal to you to leave this immunity alone. That is the only thing that makes vidding this level possible. There is not enough ammo to defeat the Jugg (of course, there might be if the other Jugg immunities are removed). The Juggs must be defeated to exit the level. The only way I have been able to defeat this Jugg is to catch the Jugg in a lethargic moment, position it between myself and the Compiler, and allow the compiler bolts (intended for me) to strike the Jugg, thereby defeating it. The other Jugg is no problem as I can use fists to defeat it. So please, if you do not change the immunities to the Jugg, then leave the immunity of the Jugg to the compiler bolts alone. And if you do change this Jugg-compiler immunity and the jugg immunities in general, then please include some redundant weapons on the level. There are none currently. Otherwise this level will become impossible to vid.

One last thing I bring up about this level out of curiousity. Since the first level in PF is named Alpha, and this level is named Omega, I am curious as to whether this was at one time the last level in the scenario. From a gameplay standpoint, I think it would have made a great ending level.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

PF Volunteers - OmegaSteve Levinson 8/30/04 7:21 p.m.
     Re: PF Volunteers - OmegaDr. John Sumner 8/31/04 3:07 a.m.
           Re: PF Volunteers - OmegaSteve Levinson 8/31/04 6:19 a.m.
                 Re: PF Volunteers - OmegaDr. John Sumner 8/31/04 6:59 a.m.
                       Re: PF Volunteers - OmegaSteve Levinson 8/31/04 7:16 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.