/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: PF Volunteers - Mece's Inferno
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 8/27/04 7:54 a.m.

In Response To: Re: PF Volunteers - Mece's Inferno (Dr. John Sumner)

: Overall, I liked this level too. It's also a fun one to vid. I am not sure
: about removing the 3x recharger, though it does seem like a player should
: be able to complete the level proceeding along any path they wish using
: only 2x shields. I guess it depends upon how much time a player spends
: frolicing in the lava.

Oh, I did make use of the 3X shielding - a lot - but I rarely dipped into the red before reaching another recharger. I'm not saying Matt should eliminate it altogether, but 2X would probably suffice. The one argument in favor of keeping it is that it provides an incentive to return to the start - helping the player realize they can reach the PB room more quickly.

This level is vidable for one reason only - the only monsters are the juggers (I assume you didn't attempt to fist them) and a small squadron of projectile fighters. I found the level to be somewhat difficult the first time through. After completing it once, I could complete it in about 5 minutes, which probably means it's too easy on TC. One possibility would be to add monsters at strategic points. Another would be to make the entry to the 2nd circuit narrower and to have one of the juggers fiercely guarding it, such that you would have to take it out. A 3X recharger in the wishing well room would make this doable, but perhaps a bit too challenging for the novice.

: The "2 spaces up and 1 over" could steer some players wrong. They
: might go "1 over" to the immediate right and into the lava.
: Perhaps "2 spaces up and then 1 diagonally to the right or left"
: might be better.

2 up, then diagonally to the right or left could also be misleading if you start from the wrong position. Just to be clear, in the row closet to your starting point, the left and right-most squares have crushing platforms that will inflict damage. In the second row, the left and right squares will drop you into the lava. In the 3rd row, the center square has a crusing platform that will inflict damage.

A couple additional points of clarification. The numbering I used for the circuits was permutated from the scheme Matt used in the info terminal. My #3 is his #1, my #1 is his #2 and my #2 is his #3. His ordering actually is more reflective on the order in which you will see, rather than reach them. You will see his #1 (my #3) on your left as soon as you leave the info terminal. And there is a 5th switch that should be mentioned - there is a switch near the trick stairway - it basically duplicates the function of the 1st switch, removing the obstruction near the start of the level, which is actually just above you at this point - you just can't get there from here. It is completely redundant and will usually be inactive by the time the player reaches it, leaving the player puzzled as to what secret they might be missing. Matt, if you wanted to be cruel, you could always make these 2 switches reversable - putting the obstruction back and truly driving the player crazy.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

PF Volunteers - Mece's InfernoSteve Levinson 8/27/04 5:09 a.m.
     Re: PF Volunteers - Mece's InfernoDr. John Sumner 8/27/04 6:06 a.m.
           Re: PF Volunteers - Mece's InfernoSteve Levinson 8/27/04 7:54 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.