/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: PF Volunteers - Omen/Trapped/Men in Plaid
Posted By: Dr. John SumnerDate: 8/19/04 8:16 a.m.

In Response To: PF Volunteers - Omen/Trapped/Men in Plaid (Steve Levinson)

: I'm sure it's difficult the way John plays it, but
: all-in-all I found it to be a very straight-forward, fun level.

Except for one particular section of the level that I discuss below, I didn't find it to be a particularly hard level. Even so, because of that one section, it is the only level that I was not able to vid.

: The exit teleporter from this area is visible across
: the way and Ossinder tells us as much, but even if you can find a way to
: launch yourself over there (can't seem to rocket launch without taking
: damage in the M1 engine, however), you still would be sent back - there
: are 3 terminals that must be read to complete the level mission.

The mission type for this level is "Exploration". There are only two "must be explored" polys. One of them is in the central room containing the four Hunters. The other is underground in the Trooper hallway mentioned by Steve below. The teleporter that takes you to the final room containing the black Hunter is closed off by three adjacent doors. Those are raised by flipping the three switches located next to the three terminals described by Steve. Thus it is necessary to flip those switches to exit the level properly. So why is the level not designated as "Repair" instead of "Exploration"? Because it's possible to flip those switches and get to the teleporter without visiting the Troopers underground. The "Exploration" designation forces the player to visit those Troopers. On the other hand, if you COULD launch yourself across the opening lava, then it might be possible to "see" the "must be explored" poly down with the Troopers, thereby making a trip to the Troopers unnecessary. However, there doesn't seem to be an easy way to get across. I tried getting the projectile fighter bolts to launch me up high enough to get on the ledge across the way. I came close several times, but never successfully made it. I am sure it's possible, but very difficult to pull off.

: and off the room is a corridor that leads to a room with a PB.

Right before this room with the PB is a window in the corridor that overlooks one of the Juggs. Both times I played the level, I had at least one enemy get stuck in the ledge of that window.

: Beyond that
: room is another room with a stairway that leads down to the lava - I'm not
: sure that you really need to go there

There is one AR magazine at the top of the stairway. Other than that, I see no reason to go there.

Also if you stand at the top of the stairway and look to your left, there are two blue/white striped sections of the doorway that you came through. The player can walk right through those sections, though they can't from the opposite side.

: I'm not really sure what the
: switches do, however - I suspect that they activate the exit.

Your suspicions were correct. See above.

: The one to the right takes
: you across the way by way of a trooper-filled walkway.

Ok this is the one section in the entire scenario that I cannot get through under vidmaster rules, making "Omen" the only level I cannot vid. The problem is (as it usually is for me) a lack of weapons. The level does provide an extra Magnum and a Fusion Gun. Unfortunately, they are teasers. If anyone didn't notice them, they are situated within inaccessible niches next to those raised walkways on each side of the level. Consequently, the only weapon the player has under vidmaster rules is one Magnum. For me, that is not enough to get through the Trooper hallway.

As a result, I am once again making a major request of Matt and Andrew. Could you please include somewhere in the level another redundant AR? That would make three levels in a row that contain an AR. I don't know how you guys feel about that, but I really do need that AR to vid this level. Just make sure it's placed somewhere in the level before the player has to enter the Trooper hallway.

The only other thing I want to mention about "Omen" is the following. In the large opening room on the side where the player begins, there is a peninsular portion of the walkway that juts out into the lava. Pfhorte shows there to be two Magnum clips at the end of this walkway. However, on closer examination in Pfhorte, they actually are positioned on the floor beneath this walkway, that is, down in the lava outside the Trooper hallway. I am guessing that Matt/Andrew mistakenly positioned the ammo there. I don't need the ammo, and to be honest, I am not sure I even see it in the lava. Could Steve or anyone else check and see if they can see those two Magnum clips on the floor in the lava, right below that walkway? I only mention this in case Matt and Andrew really wanted the player to have that ammo.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

PF Volunteers - Omen/Trapped/Men in PlaidSteve Levinson 8/19/04 6:27 a.m.
     Re: PF Volunteers - Omen/Trapped/Men in PlaidDr. John Sumner 8/19/04 8:16 a.m.
           Re: PF Volunteers - Omen/Trapped/Men in PlaidSteve Levinson 8/19/04 8:59 a.m.
                 Re: PF Volunteers - Omen/Trapped/Men in PlaidDr. John Sumner 8/19/04 9:41 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.