/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

PF Volunteers - The Gray Behind the Red
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 8/15/04 6:55 p.m.

All right - let's go kill some enforcers! We start this the first level in the third chapter, Assault, in a small room with a terminal with an interesting discourse on reverse discrimination. Although outwardly a chat between a security officer and a friend, I wonder if this commentary has anything to do with the authors' experiences?

In any case, this level takes place in a major garden facility - it is one of the most visually appealing in the scenario. Unfortunately, it also seems to suffer from problems with monster freeze - I have run into this problem both times I ran through the scenario. I suspect that there are just too many active monsters and it may be necessary to cull the numbers somewhat to have the full effect of the intended final room. The purpose of the level is to exterminate the enforces, which have made this garden their incubator. Unfortunately, you won't get any instructions until you are well into the fighting. When you exit the starting alcove, you will find a large open area in front of you that is filled with troopers and other friendly aliens. Although it would be nice to simply circle them, I have found that there is just too much scrub in the way, so I generally lay down some mines and then retreat, finishing them off from the relative safety of my alcove. Once the initial ambush has been cleared, a similar watch tower across the way contains a 2X recharger and a pattern buffer.

The basic game flow involves exploring and exterminating a series of outdoor garden areas. Part way through is a longish corridor with the aforementioned instruction terminal. Be careful - there are some places where the player can fall into a water area - it's easy enough to get back out, but not without encountering a fair bit of resistance. There is one area down there, however, that looks intriguing but, as far as I can tell, it and its monsters are inaccessible. A small side alcove contains a switch that must be flipped to gain access to the next garden area. Navigating the next area is a bit tricky. It took me a while to figure out how to proceed, as the next switch is actually in the river, just barely above the water line. This doesn’t open the adjacent door, however, but it opens a switch in the tower across the way. Hit that switch with your magnum and a circular alcove in the corner will open that's filled with - Enforcers! After killing them, flip a switch behind them to door to the next area, after a slight delay. But be sure to grab the ammo available by leaping across before proceeding.

Through the door is a somewhat circuitous corridor with an ambush from behind to watch for. It’s possible to leap up to the alcoves where the fighters were to reach a path into a secret water tank area with some monsters and some ammo, but mostly with eye candy. The other end of the corridor leads to the final area - a large open garden with a ton of monsters - major fighters, troopers, hulks and soon to be released enforcers. Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on your point of view, I generally find this room to be frozen and it can be difficult to even get some of the monsters to fight you, just to get them out of the way. I presume this will be fixed in the next release. A corridor off this area leads to an overlook of the first garden encountered in the level. A switch high in a tower, similar to the one in the last room, opens the enforcers' incubator. Take them out and you're done. Exit via the first terminal, back at the start of the level. Be sure to fully charge your shields and save your game, however, as the next level is one of the hardest in the scenario.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

PF Volunteers - The Gray Behind the RedSteve Levinson 8/15/04 6:55 p.m.
     Re: PF Volunteers - The Gray Behind the RedDr. John Sumner 8/16/04 4:39 a.m.
           Re: PF Volunteers - The Gray Behind the RedSteve Levinson 8/16/04 6:38 a.m.
           Re: PF Volunteers - Pesticides With Chickenmattschenk 8/16/04 6:42 a.m.
                 oops, should be "Gray Behind the Red" *NM* *NM*mattschenk 8/16/04 6:45 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.