/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Pollution - Earth - Deathstar - Help
Posted By: Forrest of B.orgDate: 8/5/04 11:22 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Pollution - Earth - Deathstar - Help (Lunair)

: ...rapidly spinning superconductors? How exactly would this produce gravity?
: I know that a regular superconductor will perfectly reflect a magnetic
: field, but I don't see how spinning it'll cause it to suddenly create
: gravity in any sense other than the relativistic effects of kinetic
: energy (read: "in any sense."). Obviously I've heard neither of
: these "gravitomagnetics", nor of these
: "magnetogravitics"; is there some mechanism by which it actually
: works? And is it grounded in reality?

I have no idea what the actual theory behind "magenetogravitics" is (I only heard it mentioned briefly in some pop science magazine a year or two back), but "gravitomagnetics" was a layman's postulation of my own that electric wells produce magnetic effects when moved because of wave-like distortions in spacetime - picture a waterbug sitting on the surface of a still lake, creating a bend in the tensile surface of the water; and when it moves forward, it pushes a wake forward, opposite of the direction of the bend it naturally makes in the surface, which would repel any other floating objects near it; and a trough behind it which, like the 'drag' behind trucks and such, would attract any other floaters near it - and thus gravitic wells should produce similar effects, but because they are much shallower (weaker force but longer reach than electric forces), the speeds needed to see noticable effects of this nature are much higher.

Effectively, if you move a mass around fast enough, you get a "magenetic" field which affects other masses, similarly to when you move a charge around you get a magnetic field that affects other charges. The two experiments I've heard of that seem to corroborate this were an accidental observation by an Australian team working with superconductors, who noticed that a rapidly spinning superconductor disc seemed to lessen the effects of gravity above it (and this is the "magnetogravitics" that are being re-researched currently by some US team now); and a rather respected scientist whose name I don't recall, who claims to be building a time machine (and is getting rather mocked for it by more respected scientists) using rings of supercooled bose-einstein condensate (also known as a "neutron bath").

Once again, I have no idea what these scientists' actual theories are, but by my old postulations, the reason you would see gravitic effects (time dialation is a gravitic effect) from both these devices is that in the superconductors, you already have a whole lot of low-mass particles at amazing speeds just by the virtue of having a DC charge run through a superconductor, and then if you spin that as well, you just might get enough mass*acceleration to see some noticable gravitomagnetic effect. The bose-einstein condensate, on the other hand, you have the opposite cause but the same effect; a very very dense, massive fluid, moving around in a ring at probably some decent speed, could also produce some gravitomagnetic effects.

A 30 second Google on either "gravitomagnetic" and "magnetogravitic" produces some articles of questionable source... maybe you can find further and more reputable information buried in there somewhere.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Pollution - Earth - Deathstar - Helpgoran 8/4/04 12:49 p.m.
     Re: Pollution - Earth - Deathstar - HelpForrest of B.org 8/4/04 1:01 p.m.
           Re: Pollution - Earth - Deathstar - Helpgoran 8/4/04 1:15 p.m.
                 Re: Pollution - Earth - Deathstar - HelpForrest of B.org 8/4/04 2:09 p.m.
                       Re: Pollution - Earth - Deathstar - Helpukimalefu 8/4/04 6:48 p.m.
                             Re: Pollution - Earth - Deathstar - HelpSteve Levinson 8/4/04 9:26 p.m.
                                   Re: Pollution - Earth - Deathstar - HelpForrest of B.org 8/4/04 9:57 p.m.
                                         Re: Pollution - Earth - Deathstar - HelpLunair 8/5/04 6:18 p.m.
                                               Re: Pollution - Earth - Deathstar - HelpSockPuppet 8/5/04 9:57 p.m.
                                                     Re: Pollution - Earth - Deathstar - Helpgoran 8/6/04 12:38 a.m.
                                               Re: Pollution - Earth - Deathstar - HelpForrest of B.org 8/5/04 11:22 p.m.
                 Re: Pollution - Earth - Deathstar - HelpD-M.A. 8/6/04 4:48 a.m.
                       Re: Pollution - Earth - Deathstar - HelpBlayne 8/6/04 8:50 a.m.
                             Re: Pollution - Earth - Deathstar - HelpForrest of B.org 8/6/04 1:17 p.m.
                       Re: Pollution - Earth - Deathstar - Help•M 8/6/04 10:55 p.m.
                             Re: Pollution - Earth - Deathstar - HelpD-M.A. 8/7/04 2:52 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.