/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Pollution - Earth - Deathstar - Help
Posted By: Forrest of B.orgDate: 8/4/04 2:09 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Pollution - Earth - Deathstar - Help (goran)

: I've always imagined that if you're at the center of earth, all masses around
: you would drag you at oppsite directions causing the illusion of no
: gravity, but hey, I might be wrong in my thinking.

If you had a cavity at the center of the earth, then you'd effectively have a very thick-shelled hollow sphere, and inside that cavity there would be no gravity. But if you've got what's effectively a giant building, full of hollow spaces (rooms) but still fairly evenly dispersed mass around the whole thing, then I believe you'll have something close to surface gravity throughout most of the structure. As you got closer to the center, the floor, or at least gravity, would seem more "bent", but it'd be just as strong. If there's an actual hollow space in the center of the structure, there will be close to null gravity there, though (not exactly null unless it's a perfect sphere at the exact center).

Also consider that since you're taking the same mass but spreading it out a lot more, your density goes way down, and thus so does your surface gravity (and, in the giant-building scenario, the gravity throughout).

: Airlocks is doable in my scenario, no worry about that, but it seems to be a
: too low tech sollution to a problem like this (compared to the rest of the
: technology in pollution). I confess I'm no physics expert, that's why I
: need help. What is it that's dangerous about pressure, you talked about
: even it out.

: *** the deathstar could be designed in different ways.

: 1. like earth with an atmosphere
: 2. make earth larger with no atmosphere. All air would be circulating inside
: the structure
: 3. Like a large shell. Making earth much much larger.

With #3, you'd have much lower surface gravity, and a much thinner atmosphere. You'd also have to deal, in any of the cases, with the loss of geothermal activity which helps keep the Earth warm, the loss of the magnetosphere (with no spinning core), etc. And of course with the fact that it'd be rather hard to build a structure like you're talking about entirely out of the stuff Earth is made of - plain old rock isn't really strong enough to build megalithic structures out of, you need diamond or Carbon-60, or adamantium or scrith...

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Pollution - Earth - Deathstar - Helpgoran 8/4/04 12:49 p.m.
     Re: Pollution - Earth - Deathstar - HelpForrest of B.org 8/4/04 1:01 p.m.
           Re: Pollution - Earth - Deathstar - Helpgoran 8/4/04 1:15 p.m.
                 Re: Pollution - Earth - Deathstar - HelpForrest of B.org 8/4/04 2:09 p.m.
                       Re: Pollution - Earth - Deathstar - Helpukimalefu 8/4/04 6:48 p.m.
                             Re: Pollution - Earth - Deathstar - HelpSteve Levinson 8/4/04 9:26 p.m.
                                   Re: Pollution - Earth - Deathstar - HelpForrest of B.org 8/4/04 9:57 p.m.
                                         Re: Pollution - Earth - Deathstar - HelpLunair 8/5/04 6:18 p.m.
                                               Re: Pollution - Earth - Deathstar - HelpSockPuppet 8/5/04 9:57 p.m.
                                                     Re: Pollution - Earth - Deathstar - Helpgoran 8/6/04 12:38 a.m.
                                               Re: Pollution - Earth - Deathstar - HelpForrest of B.org 8/5/04 11:22 p.m.
                 Re: Pollution - Earth - Deathstar - HelpD-M.A. 8/6/04 4:48 a.m.
                       Re: Pollution - Earth - Deathstar - HelpBlayne 8/6/04 8:50 a.m.
                             Re: Pollution - Earth - Deathstar - HelpForrest of B.org 8/6/04 1:17 p.m.
                       Re: Pollution - Earth - Deathstar - Help•M 8/6/04 10:55 p.m.
                             Re: Pollution - Earth - Deathstar - HelpD-M.A. 8/7/04 2:52 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.