/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: You know...
Posted By: Max EtchemendyDate: 7/26/04 1:19 p.m.

In Response To: Re: You know... (Forrest of B.org)

: Right, I'm just making sure you're not looking to this as canon info and
: irrefutable. GURPS Myth is an actual Bungie canon source on Myth story
: stuff, so it'd be easy to think "GURPS = canon" if you're not
: familiar with all the involved intricacies (of the meaning of canon, or
: GURPS books, or whatever).

Hey all,

A delayed update from someone who hasn't read these forums in a *long* time. (I wandered over here to see if the ilovebees thing was being covered! Hah.) I'm the author of GURPS Marathon, and I'm very happy to see people looking at the book. I just thought I'd throw in the official story on research, sources, and the "canon" question.

As I warn in the intro to the book, a lot of it does come out of my imagination. This is especially true, of course, for the species that are barely mentioned in official Bungie material, e.g., the Nebulons. I'm pretty sure that nothing actually violates or contradicts canon, but a lot of it is new. (IIRC, most of the physiology, sociology and information on planetary systems is entirely original to GURPS Marathon, but I could be wrong in some cases.) I wish I could provide a comprehensive breakdown of what's canon and what's not, but it's been about four years since I wrote the material, and I just don't trust my memory.

Bungie is aware of GURPS Marathon and has been very supportive of the project, offering both permission and creative encouragement, and I'm very grateful for it. That said, the book is not "endorsed," "canon," or otherwise officially affiliated with Bungie Software in any way. So, that's all the news that's fit to vid!

Best wishes,

-Max

Eidolon Harbor

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Spot the Nebulons, and other questions (pics)Ernie 6/6/04 6:07 p.m.
     Re: Spot the Nebulons, and other questions (pics)ukimalefu 6/6/04 6:45 p.m.
     Re: Spot the Nebulons, and other questions (pics)Forrest of B.org 6/6/04 6:46 p.m.
     Re: Spot the Nebulons, and other questions (pics)Yossarian 6/6/04 6:47 p.m.
     You know...HolyMcGibblets 6/6/04 8:23 p.m.
           Re: You know...Mark Levin 6/6/04 9:41 p.m.
                 Re: You know...Ernie 6/6/04 10:40 p.m.
                       Re: You know...Bob-B-Q 6/7/04 6:48 a.m.
                             Re: You know...Johannes Gunnar 6/7/04 10:28 a.m.
                                   Re: You know...Cheerful 6/7/04 10:42 a.m.
                                         Re: You know...Bob-B-Q 6/7/04 4:56 p.m.
                                         Re: You know...Ernie 6/8/04 12:15 p.m.
                                               sci-fi universesa disreputable source 6/8/04 1:25 p.m.
                                               Re: You know...Forrest of B.org 6/8/04 1:37 p.m.
                                                     Re: You know...Ernie 6/8/04 8:23 p.m.
                                                           Re: You know...Forrest of B.org 6/8/04 8:55 p.m.
                                                                 Meaning of "Canon"?Siphonopho 6/9/04 1:58 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Meaning of "Canon"?Mark Levin 6/9/04 6:35 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Meaning of "Canon"?Forrest of B.org 6/9/04 9:10 a.m.
                                                                       In truth, canon is what we say it is ;^) *NM*Steve Levinson 6/9/04 11:40 a.m.
                                                                 Re: You know...Max Etchemendy 7/26/04 1:19 p.m.
                                                           So you like magenta . . . (I better not go there) *NM*Steve Levinson 6/9/04 11:42 a.m.
                                                                 Re: So you like magenta . . .Ernie 6/9/04 4:06 p.m.
                                                                       Re: So you like magenta . . .Mark Levin 6/9/04 4:38 p.m.
                                                                             The M1 Pfhor textures were the best ;^) *NM*Steve Levinson 6/10/04 4:27 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: The M1 Pfhor textures were the best ;^)blake37 6/10/04 11:40 a.m.
                                                                                         Opinions on Pfhorishness?Forrest of B.org 6/10/04 11:48 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: The M1 Pfhor textures were the best ;^)Callie21V 6/10/04 12:11 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: The M1 Pfhor textures were the best ;^)Forrest of B.org 6/10/04 12:21 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: The M1 Pfhor textures were the best ;^)blake37 6/10/04 1:06 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: The M1 Pfhor textures were the best ;^)Forrest of B.org 6/10/04 1:37 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: The M1 Pfhor textures were the best ;^)Ernie 6/10/04 4:34 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: The M1 Pfhor textures were the best ;^)Steve Levinson 6/10/04 4:44 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: The M1 Pfhor textures were the best ;^)Mark Levin 6/10/04 11:34 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: The M1 Pfhor textures were the best ;^)Steve Levinson 6/11/04 6:19 a.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: The M1 Pfhor textures were the best ;^)Gholsbane 6/12/04 4:37 a.m.
                                                                                                                 guys I am a bit drunk but...goran 6/11/04 3:20 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: guys I am a bit drunk but...blake37 6/12/04 2:15 a.m.
     Re: Spot the Nebulons, and other questions (pics)Forrest of B.org 5/12/10 2:24 p.m.
           Re: Spot the Nebulons, and other questions (pics)John Denton 5/12/10 10:48 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.