/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Opinions on Mapmaking Style
Posted By: ErnieDate: 7/20/04 2:30 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Opinions on Mapmaking Style (Forrest of B.org)

:The entire map area is covered by one huge "room" (technically speaking), 18WU tall and 64WU to a side, with a mountain inside of it.

Maps like that make my Power Mac 6500/250 mhz cry.
; )

I don't think that the switch on the neighbors roof concept is as bizarre when the player has an external AI describing where / why this switch needs to be pressed. Without an AI and switches, Marathon would indeed be reduced to "Prime Target" like game play. [

I didn't play the actual game, but I did fiddle with the Demo years ago - not a fun experience
].

Some of the most entertaining Marathon level's I've played take advantage of game play tricks (a la RED's and Rubicon's Wall Mine). While this certainly isn't plausible in every level, it does add variety.

Regarding Monster placement: from the mentioning of a steady stream of infinite Pfhor in Eternal's level, most are geared as "run through, hit the goal, teleport out" -style areas? I find these types of level fun to play, as they don't *require* the player to hunt down each and every Pfhor.

That being said, rewarding the player with a powerup or terminal tidbit for venturing deep into an 'non-critical' area keeps things fun. It also keeps people from feeling they were somehow cheated as well. Curious: As far as the "super" powerups go (invincibility, cloaking, all vision modifiers) what is the proper "style" for placing these items strictly as secrets?
I found that placing an Extra vision powerup looking like an Nebulon food item added an entertaining element - but that's just me. : )

I really like your idea of being able to pick up a weapon from every enemy Forrest. I presume the player will have an abundant supply of Fighter Staffs and Trooper Guns in Eternal for this reason.

How do other map makers resolve the “ammo drop” question in the context of your Guiding AI not having access beaming in large amount of ammo?
I've taken to playing items / ammo in areas that are believably weapons caches of the enemy. These caches are useful in areas where the enemy has either barricaded themselves, or at critical dropoff points. I suppose the style of Ammo/weapon availability needs to be tailored to the flow of each map - but I’d appreciate anyones input anyhow.

-Blayne

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Opinions on Mapmaking StyleForrest of B.org 7/19/04 1:45 p.m.
     Re: Opinions on Mapmaking Styleblake37 7/19/04 2:52 p.m.
           Re: Opinions on Mapmaking StyleForrest of B.org 7/19/04 3:00 p.m.
                 Re: Opinions on Mapmaking Styleblake37 7/19/04 3:25 p.m.
     Re: Opinions on Mapmaking StyleMark Levin 7/19/04 4:20 p.m.
     Re: Opinions on Mapmaking StyleLt Devon 7/19/04 9:13 p.m.
           Re: Opinions on Mapmaking StyleForrest of B.org 7/19/04 10:41 p.m.
                 Re: Opinions on Mapmaking StyleJohannes Gunnar 7/20/04 1:14 p.m.
                 Re: Opinions on Mapmaking StyleErnie 7/20/04 2:30 p.m.
                       Re: Opinions on Mapmaking StyleLt Devon 7/20/04 3:17 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.