/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Marathon/PF and OS X
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 7/17/04 5:59 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Marathon and OS X (Cheerful)

: Ha ha, actually I've just started Phoenix Falling, trying to catch up to you
: guys. Right now I have OS 9 and OS X running on the same computer, but if
: I get a new computer I want to still be able to play Marathon 1.

If your new computer is a Mac, you'll still be able to play Marathon 1 and Phoenix Falling using the Classic Environment under OS X. Although newer Macs can't boot into anything less than OS X, the Classic Environment still works. Unfortunately, there is a significant performance hit in Classic vs. OS 9, but this should be more than made up for by the GHz + clock speeds, high bus speeds and more powerful graphics processors in today's Macs. Good bit of advice, however - MB/GB are more important than GHz. Be sure to max out your RAM and VRAM - it makes all the difference in the world, particularly under OS X which relies heavily on virtual memory for support of the Classic Environment. The more RAM you have, the less time spent writing and reading data from your hard drive.

A quick update on the PF Volunteers Series - I think it's been 5 days since my last post. I'm on sabbatical and am just about to leave on my first trip to visit with colleagues, so I've been frantically trying to tie up loose ends. I hope to be able to catch up and make more posts once I'm actually on the road - don't expect anything before Monday, however, as I have a long drive tomorrow and I'm still packing. In the meantime, just a reminder that anyone can start a post on the next level to be discussed - I'll still be there to add my comments. The next level, BTW, would currently be A Stroll in the Park.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Marathon and OS XCheerful 7/17/04 8:39 a.m.
     Re: Marathon and OS XJohannes Gunnar 7/17/04 8:54 a.m.
           Re: Marathon and OS XAdam Ashwell 7/17/04 9:45 a.m.
                 Re: Marathon and OS XCheerful 7/17/04 10:53 a.m.
                       Re: Marathon/PF and OS XSteve Levinson 7/17/04 5:59 p.m.
                             Re: Marathon/PF and OS Xmattschenk 7/18/04 7:19 p.m.
                             Re: Marathon/PF and OS XZeus 7/19/04 6:35 a.m.
                             Re: Marathon/PF and OS Xa disreputable source 7/19/04 7:45 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.