/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

the "True" timeline removing possibilities...?
Posted By: ErnieDate: 7/10/04 8:12 p.m.

In Response To: Re: How the Minf timeline "fixes" the M2 one (Forrest of B.org)

Initially, I wrote up a slightly over-worded reply to your posts. I ditched that. Far too tired at this point to argue.

Instead, : Given that the true timeline (the universe that will, in Eternal's manner of thought - end, and begin again) is that of Minf's. Toth-Durandal and the player do things. Perhaps Eternal occurs. Whichever.

Now, does the existence of this universe block out the possible existence of *any* other timeliness?

[meandering thoughts on time]
I don't believe the Jjaro simply turn their collective backs on these timeliness (universes) unless it was hopelessly lost (perhaps Marathon:Red would be a good example of this).
I believe that the continuing Marathon2 universe, followed by Rubicon is one of these tangent realities. Obviously, the Jjaro don't ignore it, as there seems to be something worth saving in this alternate realm.

I see, perhaps, why Steve has such a problem with the concept of multiple universes. If there can be only one, true timeline: where do the others go? Under what conditions do they simply "end"? The salvageable ones cannot simply integrate back into the primary time stream . Events and matter's composition in each differ (this would also violate the law of conservation of mass).

Perhaps each of these infinite number of parallel universes may branch from the possibilities and choices made in the primary timeline. Perhaps time is indeed an illusion - whereby each universe is simply a static arrangement of matter, and out consciousness passes though it. This would explain why out memories are rarely full motion videos.

If that isn't true, and each reality is it's own moving event from beginning to end: Each of these alternate realities would also need to have their own beginning, and their own end. Their own rebirth, and repeat.

I guess what I'm getting at is the fundamental conception of time.
Can there also exist an Rubicon universe that conflicts directly with Eternal's interpretation? Sure. Beyond the "it's only science fiction" argument, lies the answer I'm looking for.
[ / meandering thoughts on time]

I'm writing WMaiD with the events of Marathon 2 in mind, as it seems the Rubicon team eventually did.
Although Rubicon did slip and include Marathon infinity specific events - I account for these the way the film "Donnie Darko" does with it's Tangent universe. Memories remain of events from the universe that ended (the Minf one) - but "as if from a dream".

I've been told before, Where Monsters are in Dreams has taken too long to come out. I'm wrapping up my final run at the story, whipping up the last levels needed. Making sure Durandal's motivations are reflected in the existing levels, and that these levels make sense in the context of the broader story line events.

I'd like any helpful suggestions from story forum patrons on the pitfalls I should avoid with my scenario, story wise. There are many, but if you have some advice, I'm here to listen. Why Rubicon may have it's faults, which ones should I ignore in it, and which should I embrace?

Thanks for every ones time,
-Blayne

[edited to fix broken HTML -CZ]

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

How the Minf timeline "fixes" the M2 oneErnie 7/10/04 12:56 a.m.
     Re: How the Minf timeline "fixes" the M2 oneBob-B-Q 7/10/04 2:49 a.m.
           Re: How the Minf timeline "fixes" the M2 oneSteve Levinson 7/10/04 6:18 a.m.
                 Re: How the Minf timeline "fixes" the M2 oneForrest of B.org 7/10/04 7:42 a.m.
                       Nice commentary, Forrest *NM*Steve Levinson 7/10/04 8:07 a.m.
                             Thank you *NM*Forrest of B.org 7/10/04 8:43 a.m.
                       the "True" timeline removing possibilities...?Ernie 7/10/04 8:12 p.m.
     Re: How the Minf timeline "fixes" the M2 oneMe_43 7/10/04 6:51 p.m.
           Re: How the Minf timeline "fixes" the M2 oneSteve Levinson 7/10/04 8:10 p.m.
                 Re: How the Minf timeline "fixes" the M2 oneForrest of B.org 7/10/04 10:48 p.m.
                 Re: How the Minf timeline "fixes" the M2 oneMe_43 7/11/04 11:49 a.m.
                       Re: How the Minf timeline "fixes" the M2 oneCheerful 7/12/04 1:29 p.m.
                             Re: How the Minf timeline "fixes" the M2 oneForrest of B.org 7/12/04 1:45 p.m.
                                   Re: How the Minf timeline "fixes" the M2 oneYossarian 7/12/04 2:10 p.m.
                                         Re: How the Minf timeline "fixes" the M2 oneForrest of B.org 7/12/04 2:20 p.m.
                             Re: How the Minf timeline "fixes" the M2 oneSteve Levinson 7/12/04 1:58 p.m.
     Re: How the Minf timeline "fixes" the M2 oneElliott 7/12/04 1:40 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.