/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: PF Volunteers - All Quiet on the Network Front
Posted By: Dr. John SumnerDate: 7/10/04 7:14 a.m.

In Response To: PF Volunteers - All Quiet on the Network Front (Steve Levinson)

: There are a number of ways to go about surviving the initial part of the
: level, but the primary objective is above all else to clear a path to the
: first O2 recharger and to a shield recharger and pattern buffer, in that
: priority but not necessarily order.

My strategy for the opening part of the level is pretty simple to state, but not as easy to implement. I basically recharge, hop down and activate all the outdoor enemies. Once you get the Troopers to come down, it's easy to circle the whole pack and get them to take out most of the other enemies. After defeating all of the outdoor enemies (with Fists only of course), I go inside the building, activate all the Hunters, and head back outside to deal with them. The first time I played, I got through all of that without having to recharge my O2. The second time, I almost got through the Hunters, but had to run inside and recharge my O2 before finishing them off. It makes for a fairly hard beginning for this level, but an absolutely fun one!

: Now you can stand on top of that platform and ride it back up, but I
: couldn't find any extra ammo or other rewards that were accessible by
: doing so. John?

There is one minor secret associated with that platform. If you ride it to the top and then hop on the very narrow window ledge to the right, that ledge triggers the opening of another door (one of the 4 exits in the small rectangular room with the AR) that leads to the 3rd overlook and another nice ammo cache.

: I can’t tell you how many tries it took me to get through this part of the
: level on TC.

: Matt and Andrew,
: this part of the level is nearly unplayable on TC. I have a suggestion for
: you - replace that O2 recharger in the safe room with a pattern buffer.

I have to agree with Steve. This is one of just a few sections of the scenario that I feel is a bit unfair on Total Carnage. Now, I am well aware that my style of play contributes to my feeling of unfairness. I finished this level having used no ammo at all (except for shooting a switch). Imagine trying to negotiate this particular section of the level and using NO ammo! Certainly that is not what Matt and Andrew intended. I realize that. However, aside from that, to expect the player to hop off the platform mentioned above, deal with all the many, many enemies, including Troopers, and do all of this with only 1x shield, without any pattern buffer or easily reached recharger DOES make this section unfair, even using ammo! The solution? Steve, I agree that a Pattern Buffer in the O2 room would be most welcomed. However, I would ask that the O2 be left there. I know my style of play is not a popular one, but it IS a time-consuming strategy. I need that O2 recharger handy. Matt and Andrew, whatever you decide to do, PLEASE leave that O2 where it is. Another idea would be to forget the PB and move the 2x recharger into the O2 room. The player still has to flip the switch where the 2x recharger currently is located. My three suggestions are: leave the O2 where it is, and either (1) put a PB next to the O2, or (2) move the 2x recharger next to the O2, or (3) leave everything as is, but turn the 1x recharger in the first part of the level into a 2x recharger. That way the player has 2x shield before negotiating this section.

I must say that I loved this level. Generally, I hate vacuum levels. But this level comes as close to what I consider to be a true, fun, vacuum level. In my opinion, on a well-designed vacuum level, having to constantly recharge your O2 should be no more than a major nuisance, but at least enough to make the level more difficult than if it was not vacuum.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

PF Volunteers - All Quiet on the Network FrontSteve Levinson 7/9/04 6:02 p.m.
     Re: PF Volunteers - All Quiet on the Network FrontDr. John Sumner 7/10/04 7:14 a.m.
           Re: PF Volunteers - All Quiet on the Network FrontSteve Levinson 7/10/04 8:11 a.m.
           Re: PF Volunteers - All Quiet on the Network FrontSteve Levinson 7/10/04 8:42 a.m.
                 Re: PF Volunteers - All Quiet on the Network FrontDr. John Sumner 7/10/04 8:59 a.m.
                       Re: PF Volunteers - All Quiet on the Network FrontSteve Levinson 7/10/04 2:14 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.