/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: PF Volunteers - Which Switch?
Posted By: Dr. John SumnerDate: 7/8/04 2:34 a.m.

In Response To: PF Volunteers - Which Switch? (Steve Levinson)

: One approach is to head upstairs to activate the
: monsters, then jump back down and let the monsters come to you. You can
: often attack them as they ride the platform down, before they have the
: chance to attack you.

Also, at the bottom if you stand to the side and off the platform, the Troopers will sometimes suicide at the top as they try to fire at you with their grenades.

: The first room to be
: entered is the only one with a player-activated door, and the only one
: with only one switch - adjacent to it is a badly-needed shield recharger.

Since this recharger is the only one till the end of the level and is guarded by one of the native beasts, I wanted to mention that it IS possible to fist one of these. Near as I can tell, it takes about 58 or so good running punches (on Total Carnage) to defeat one of these. If you have the space, time, and patience, it is worth fisting one rather than using up alot of ammo.

: There is a small room off to the left

:The other opens the door to
: a very large, very dark room

Right between these two rooms is a raised alcove containing 4 Missiles for the Missile Launcher we don't have yet. How to get this ammo? At first I thought it was not possible, but it actually is. After getting the attention of a Fighter and laying down a mine at the base of that alcove, I stood at the base over the mine. With the help of my AR and the exploding mine, that was enough to launch myself into that alcove. It doesn't work everytime, but it serves the same purpose as grenade launching.

: The one thing in your favor is that the hulk won’t leave the hallway,
: helping to block everyone else

Again I cannot understand why that beast won't come through the hallway. There are no "monster impassable" polys near there. It's almost as though the beast is too large to fit through the doorway. I stood there and fisted him till he was defeated.

The only other thing I wanted to mention was about the Pattern Buffer in the central hallway. When I played the first time, I had a hard time getting that PB to activate. It seems to be very sensitive to how close to the wall you are standing. Since this is a major problem with one PB in an upcoming level, I would suggest moving that PB a bit closer to the outside wall, or whatever will make it easier to activate.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

PF Volunteers - Which Switch?Steve Levinson 7/7/04 6:33 p.m.
     Re: PF Volunteers - Which Switch?mattschenk 7/7/04 7:23 p.m.
     Re: PF Volunteers - Which Switch?Dr. John Sumner 7/8/04 2:34 a.m.
     Re: PF Volunteers - Which Switch?Andrew Nagy 8/19/04 7:15 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.