/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: PF Volunteers - Who Turned the Lights Off?
Posted By: Dr. John SumnerDate: 6/30/04 3:21 p.m.

In Response To: PF Volunteers - Who Turned the Lights Off? (Steve Levinson)

: The fact that there are 4
: layers stacked perfectly on top of each other and the progressively
: increasing monster density as one progresses upward makes for a
: surprisingly difficult level. The fact that there is only one shield
: recharger that is very well hidden makes it even more challenging. I don't
: doubt that there are those who never find the shield recharger at all.

I don't think this level was as hard as the previous level given my style of play, but I agree that it is a difficult level. As for the recharger, I hope they find it....at least if they are playing on TC. I cannot imagine getting through this level without having a recharger! If I recall though, the terminal on the first floor does tell the player that there is a recharger on the second floor. Hopefully they will find it.

: The fourth is the elevator to the 3rd floor, which is very fast
: moving and problematic. Going up the elevator is easy, but going back down
: is very difficult. The player must stop the elevator at the bottom of its
: run by flipping a switch. Unfortunately, you cannot see the elevator
: platform from the top unless it is near the top and the only way to check
: is to jump down and hope the you don't get stuck.

Steve is quite right. This elevator can be tough to deal with. After playing around with it though, I have two suggestions. The first is, if you stop the elevator, stand as close to the opening in the floor as you can, and IF you cannot see any part of the elevator, then my experience is that the elevator is at the bottom and it's safe to jump down. If you can see any part of the elevator, don't jump down or as Steve said, you might get trapped. The other suggestion is that it IS possible to get back down while the elevator is running. I would only try this if you are not being chased by any enemies. It's just too risky to assume you will make it. The key is that you have to jump onto the elevator as it is going DOWN. If you do that, you will easily find yourself on the floor below. But it takes incredible timing or just plain good luck.

: there is a terminal with specific instructions on how to
: power up the power plant.

Maybe it's just me, but I found those instructions very confusing. The first time I played, it was not clear to me what was supposed to happen once you hit the switches, much less which switches to hit. And yes I did read all the terminals. :) Like I said, it may just be me.

: Interestingly, only half of the switches are
: accessible - the others are blocked off and supposedly already active. It
: is possible to shoot the other switches, however, but I was unable to
: determine if doing so had any effect.

According to Pfhorte, they have no affect on anything. Steve, on this fourth floor, both times I played, I had numerous enemies get trapped in the floor around each of the four core columns. Did you experience this too? Around one of them I had two Hunters and two Fighters get trapped. I am sure it's easily fixed, but Matt and Andrew need to check into this.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

PF Volunteers - Who Turned the Lights Off?Steve Levinson 6/30/04 2:53 p.m.
     Re: PF Volunteers - Who Turned the Lights Off?Dr. John Sumner 6/30/04 3:21 p.m.
           Re: PF Volunteers - Who Turned the Lights Off?Steve Levinson 6/30/04 3:30 p.m.
                 Re: PF Volunteers - Who Turned the Lights Off?mattschenk 6/30/04 3:43 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.