/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: SDL
Posted By: Forrest of B.orgDate: 6/30/04 1:24 p.m.

In Response To: Re: SDL (Steve Levinson)

: Did you say contempt? Oh, yeah, right. *cough* Respect.

: On my list of priorities in life, broadband falls above cable

I have no TV, period.

: cell phones

I have no phone, period.

: DVR's

I'd like to get a TV capture card for my G4...

: microwaves

Technically got one, but I don't use it.

: and only slightly behind my wife ;^)

I'm still working (successfully for far) on that one :-)

: Forrest, correct me if I'm wrong, but I would guess your scenario is going to
: top out at over 100 MB, am I right? In that case, compatibility with 56k
: may not be remotely practical.

Let me put it this way: the LOW RES textures alone, nothing else considered, are about 40MB. A Maps.resources file is going to be like 2MB more, including an extra .exe application is a few meg more, and it turns out we don't need another Images file at all. I think that a <5% difference isn't going to mean much, even to 56K users. Also, Windows users will have to download the whole install package, Shapes and Sounds included, so one way or another with 56K they're farked.

Mac users who already own Infinity will be able to download the updated package, which will just be my modified Aleph app, Images, Music, Map, a Shapes shuttle, a Sounds patch, the MML script, and lores texture replacements. Medium and hires packs will be available for download too. Which actually brings me to another point I could use some feedback on: I intended to ship the full install with hires, 512x512 textures, 650 of them, so that newbies out there who've never heard of Marathon don't come across it and go "oh lores crap" and toss it. I was going to offer, as mentioned, all the replacement texture packs as side downloads, so you could up or downgrade as your machine required. Do you guys think it would be neccesary to ship whole separate packages of the full install, differing only in their replacement textures?

: However, that said, we might be able to do
: something along the lines of what I offered to do for Ernie with WMaiD - I
: could stuff it and break it down into megabyte-sized chunks.

That might be useful. (Although, hundred of chunks could get kinda unweildly). Can you break up zip files like that too?

Also, the developer downloads page will continue to be active, in case someone wants to put together their own "ultra lite" version with just images, map, minimal shapes shuttles, no texture replacement (==UGLY!), no patched sounds, and stick it in your own copy of AO; or if you just want to download the stuff piece by piece.

And last but not least - what of the legality of distributing on CD for the cost of the disc and shipping? I have no CD burner so I'd need to find someone else willing to do that for me, if it's even legal, which would be the first step - is it?

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

SDLForrest of B.org 6/28/04 2:06 p.m.
     Re: SDLmneub12 6/28/04 3:21 p.m.
           Re: SDLForrest of B.org 6/28/04 3:33 p.m.
                 Re: SDLmneub12 6/28/04 3:45 p.m.
                       Re: SDLSteve Levinson 6/28/04 6:28 p.m.
                             Re: SDLBob-B-Q 6/28/04 6:31 p.m.
                                   Re: SDLAndrew Nagy 6/28/04 7:37 p.m.
                                         Re: SDLmneub12 6/29/04 5:53 a.m.
                                               Re: SDLAndrew Nagy 6/30/04 5:35 p.m.
                                   Re: SDLForrest of B.org 6/29/04 8:38 a.m.
                                         Re: SDLAndrew Nagy 6/30/04 6:14 p.m.
                                               Re: SDLForrest of B.org 7/1/04 8:15 a.m.
                                                     Re: SDLAndrew Nagy 7/1/04 2:07 p.m.
                                                           Re: SDLForrest of B.org 7/1/04 9:12 p.m.
                             Re: SDLmneub12 6/28/04 7:06 p.m.
                                   Re: SDLJorge 6/29/04 4:10 p.m.
                                         Re: SDLForrest of B.org 6/29/04 5:36 p.m.
                                               Re: SDLmneub12 6/29/04 6:11 p.m.
                                                     Re: SDLmneub12 6/29/04 6:51 p.m.
                                                           Re: SDLForrest of B.org 6/29/04 10:47 p.m.
                                                                 Re: SDLmneub12 6/30/04 5:52 a.m.
                                                                 Re: SDLAndrew Nagy 6/30/04 6:10 p.m.
                                                                       Re: SDLForrest of B.org 7/1/04 8:13 a.m.
                                                                             Re: SDLAndrew Nagy 7/1/04 2:07 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: SDLForrest of B.org 7/1/04 2:47 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: SDLmneub12 7/4/04 9:56 a.m.
                                                                                               Re: SDLForrest of B.org 7/5/04 10:07 p.m.
                                               Re: SDLJohannes Gunnar 6/29/04 11:42 p.m.
                                                     Re: SDLJorge 6/30/04 12:22 p.m.
                                                           Re: SDLSteve Levinson 6/30/04 12:47 p.m.
                                                                 Re: SDLForrest of B.org 6/30/04 1:24 p.m.
                                                     Re: SDLAndrew Nagy 6/30/04 6:16 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.