/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

PF Volunteers - On the Job
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 6/26/04 10:25 a.m.

Someone or something needs our help. What is it? An AI - what else? We teleport into some sort of complex and after dealing with a few fighters, there is a Pattern buffer and a terminal to read with a saved message from someone named Shaki:

Hello tKere. Time is crit0101&y shor' I am one of tH01074Yony's AIs. I can^not tell you what happened here yet siGKD019$I3211010$iDGSK101&&..&101ortant. You $BMUST$b manually restart my sy10ems. By the time you ha.&--1010725 ^ead this, my compLete sSYtem w&,ve been shut down, your job is t1010RW!9191012901&. I have be lf-way destroyed, b6359after cleaning my higher functions, I'l$U1010FFFFF**$u I'm $Bwarning$b 10101WEAFRou must do as I say as I sealed this section off and the containing ?srood? will not oper001ate without my orders,&*101010GDJ62*sjsh&1010an't receive orders from a quiet compute^.

I don’t like the sound of this. You have to reactivate what would appear to be an unstable AI that has taken the step of sealing you in and won’t let you out until you comply. Well, let’s give it the benefit of the doubt - after all, it’s desperate, having barely survived an alien attack. Or having not survived - this is a saved message - but then, how did he know we would come along. Oh well, let’s get to work - we’re on the job!

The complex we find ourselves in consists of a series of narrow corridors that overlook a series of four large open rooms. The layout is vaguely reminiscent of Blasphemy quarantine, particularly in map view, but the approach is vastly different. There is a central core off which all of the corridors are arranged, with three levels that must be accessed by platforms. The goal of the level is to get to the upper level – if you had grenades, you might be able to bypass the rest of the level and just blast your way up there but, alas, you don’t.

Access to the various areas of the level is sequential - you cannot get ahead of yourself, but it is exploration of each area, rather than switches, that opens each successive area. That can be a bit confusing and the player is never quite sure what it is they’re doing other than exploring, fighting and looking for the next door that has opened. An exception is a switch in the first area to be explored, near the first shield recharge, that is needed to activate the platform to the lower level. A second switch encountered much later activates the platform to the upper level and the exit.

The four large rooms are each unique with some very nice visuals. Here we encounter our first compilers. These are M1 compilers but, as with the fighters, the colors have been changed - there are green compilers that fire green energy bolts and grey compilers that fire much more potent, although somewhat less visible red energy bolts. We'll also be encountering a lot of invisible compilers - much more than in Marathon. The compilers seem to perform the same function as in Marathon, as we’ll learn in a later terminal.

There are a couple of interesting terminals that we come across on this level that represent crew logs. Picking up on a strategy used extensively by Bungie in the Marathon trilogy, much information in PF is conveyed in this manner. One of these terminals is an interesting dialog on the reduction of food rations as transports failed to arrive - not all that interesting except for a mention about someone called Mece doing some research to process native life forms for human consumption. The fact that there are native life forms is significant and we’ll be meeting some of these later. More important, however, is the explanation why Mece's experiments in using native life for food were unsuccessful:

The situation has been under control now for some time. The details cannot be posted on this board, even though it is a secure net. The problem was with Mece's intentions of research and use of specimens.

Woa! This Mece sounds like a pretty dangerous dude. The fact it wasn’t safe to communicate this on the network certainly suggests something about the nature of Mece - perhaps another AI? Don’t worry, we’ll have first-hand experience with Mece soon enough.

The other terminal discusses one crew member's concerns about strange things happening around the colony. It, too, ends on a chilling note:

$ULog.771.542462$u
I was right! 01jd^101110F has goKD32sk10101df;19NT!$b I'm goin&,^101have to try to_$i

Although this is hard to read, the message should be clear to anyone who has played Marathon - there is a rampant AI in our midst.

Once the player does get to the upper area, if we log onto the terminal up there, we will be told to flip three switches that are behind you. Once this is done, Shaki informs you that it will be several minutes before he is fully reactivated. In the meantime he is going to send us to another part of the colony to see what the aliens are up to there. Wait a minute, don’t we get a say in the matter? Apparently not!

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

PF Volunteers - On the JobSteve Levinson 6/26/04 10:25 a.m.
     Re: PF Volunteers - On the JobDr. John Sumner 6/26/04 12:22 p.m.
           Re: PF Volunteers - On the JobDr. John Sumner 6/26/04 1:19 p.m.
                 Re: PF Volunteers - On the JobMista_B 6/26/04 1:39 p.m.
           Re: PF Volunteers - On the JobSteve Levinson 6/26/04 7:52 p.m.
                 Re: PF Volunteers - On the JobDr. John Sumner 6/27/04 1:40 a.m.
     Re: PF Volunteers - On the JobAndrew Nagy 6/26/04 8:04 p.m.
           Re: PF Volunteers - On the JobSteve Levinson 6/27/04 5:19 a.m.
                 Re: PF Volunteers - On the Jobmattschenk 6/30/04 3:26 p.m.
                       Re: PF Volunteers - On the JobDr. John Sumner 6/30/04 3:36 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.