/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Platform bug?
Posted By: Joshua BellDate: 6/10/04 9:44 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Platform bug? (Johannes Gunnar)

: I wouldn't want to be a beginner at forging right now.

On behalf of newbies everywhere (and not that I'm likely to spend any time building custom scenarios, so this is more general), let me applaud this sentiment. And point out that any time spent coming up with very approachable and well organized introductions and instructions pays off long term in not having to answer the same silly questions over and over again.

So much data and technology is being created now that the rate of information loss is staggering. I lurk on the comp.sys.apple2 newsgroups and the number of questions for which the answer would have been well known 20 years ago but is a mystery now is staggering.

So please, spend the time to organize your thoughts and make them available. Even something as simple as summarizing a discussion and sticking in a web page *somewhere* so that 10 years from now (when Marathon is a 20 year old technology) someone can find it will help everybody in the long term.

Ideally, there are well organized tutorials which would let someone bootstrap from zero (what is Marathon?) all the way to an expert in any facet of the space. Right now, things aren't so bad... once you find out that you can get started with Aleph One and use the story and spoiler pages to make progress, etc. Putting the pieces together for an outside is challenging. Organizing the information as an insider to make it approachable for an outside is extremely hard, which is why people get paid good money to write books. :) But it's a noble goal.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Platform bug?goran 6/8/04 3:36 p.m.
     Re: Platform bug?Me_43 6/9/04 1:36 a.m.
           Re: Platform bug?Johannes Gunnar 6/9/04 12:30 p.m.
                 Re: tbc-litterbox•M 6/9/04 1:02 p.m.
                 Re: Platform bug?goran 6/9/04 1:52 p.m.
                       Re: Platform bug?Johannes Gunnar 6/9/04 2:17 p.m.
                 Re: Platform bug?Joshua Bell 6/10/04 9:44 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.