/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: You know...
Posted By: ErnieDate: 6/8/04 12:15 p.m.

In Response To: Re: You know... (Cheerful)

: Hey, don't forget the Vylae. You'd pretty much have complete artistic
: liscence with them ;)

: Also I think it'd be cool if (assuming there are terminals on the Nebulon
: ship that the player can read; if not, ignore this) Nebulon thought
: patterns and culture were revealed on the terminals. One of the greatest
: things about Marathon is how all the alien races think differently, and
: how it shows up in the game. Like how the Pfhor have the whole hierarchy
: thing going on, or the Nar speaking entirely in metaphor. Just an idea.

Excellent, a constructive, Nebulon related comment. : )

I will have Nebulon terminals, should I ceate this texture set. I'll try later to delve into every alien races' psyche I can think of... everything from the bugs of Cards' "Enders Game to some lesser known, alien mindsets of sci-fi-dom.

The spectrum as it stands in Marathon is...

Jjaro - from Toth's example, and via dreams: Cryptic, poetic, odd. Possibly once like humans with their individualism... and now like the S'pht, once they've escaped the universe.
S'pht - Individual mindsets, within the framework of a collective.
Pfhor - Buracratic caste system.
Humans - Individualistic, and able to combat every_other_mindset_in _the_*universe* (according to most Sciencefiction...).
Nar - Speak in Metaphor, likley think in a similar way. Why else would they seek to measure the universe? Wait, don't answer that.
Vylae - mentally oriented species of traders. Perhaps similar in mindset to Middle Eastern Businessmen who set up throught Africa in earlier centuries. Frugal, and mistructed because of their position in commerce.
Nakh(Nahk?) - not... really sure.

I'm going to do some trolling through google tomorrow, and my families sci-fi collection... see if I can come up with an interesting mindset for the Nebulons. Apparently, they got royally trounced by the Pfhor, so their culture/identity apparently can't stand up against buracratic Pfhor attack.

Interestingly enough... I don't recall the Nebulons ever being "enslaved" by the Pfhor... just defeated in some Battles. They seem to exist seperate from the Pfhor Empire, much as the Vyale, and Nar do.

Some compiled information for the Nebulons:
- According to Marathon GURPS:

Nebulons breathe carbon dioxide, prefer a cold environment, are alert, Impulsive, and slightly primitive. Their weapons are primarily plasma, and are generally reverse-engineered Pfhor weapons. Same goes with the Vylae. Nebulons have a basic tribal society.

Nebulonese planets found in the galatic rim have large populations that benefit economically from the Pfhor military/political machine.

And of course:
The Empire of Nebulon (Region)

The Empire of Nebulon consists of ten systems. Most are main-sequence or dwarf stars of the G, K, and M spectral types. The interior systems are fairly heavily populated, although the Nebulons are not known to be a particularly populous species. The outer systems are equivalent to small colonies in population and infrastructure development, and have few enforced laws.

The Nebulonese capital planet, Riazzdamau, is well guarded and is home to the Nebulonese Council of Chiefs, which is the ultimate tribal leadership of the Nebulonese people. The planet has a large surface water percentage and is rather marshy. The Nebulonese are suited for high gravity conditions (about 1.2G) because of the high density and rather large size of Riazzdamau

and...

Nebulons

The willowy Nebulons are four foot tall humanoids who rule the small, ten-system Empire of Nebulon near the edge of the Spinward sector of the Pfhor Empire. They have a tribal government and occasionally raid their foes' systems in stolen Pfhor FTL ships (they have yet to have discovered faster-than-light travel themselves) and have proven to be very resourceful and powerful fighters. However, Nebulonese forces suffered a crippling defeat some twenty years ago at the hands of Admiral Tfear of the Pfhor Empire, and have remained dormant ever since.

Unlike other sentient species, they do not breathe oxygen, but instead thrive on carbon dioxide. Therefore they require breathing equipment when attacking Pfhor ships. But, like the other species, they drink water and eat plants and animals to live.

Humm.. perhaps the concept of an organic ship isn't too far fetched for the Nebulons. If they're primitive compared to the Pfhor, ships that are partially grown around an somewhat technological structure sounds about right.
Information to ponder.

I'm compiling this information so I can retrieve it later from the story forum.
Feel free to draw any ideas from the above information. : )

-Blayne [ernie]

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Spot the Nebulons, and other questions (pics)Ernie 6/6/04 6:07 p.m.
     Re: Spot the Nebulons, and other questions (pics)ukimalefu 6/6/04 6:45 p.m.
     Re: Spot the Nebulons, and other questions (pics)Forrest of B.org 6/6/04 6:46 p.m.
     Re: Spot the Nebulons, and other questions (pics)Yossarian 6/6/04 6:47 p.m.
     You know...HolyMcGibblets 6/6/04 8:23 p.m.
           Re: You know...Mark Levin 6/6/04 9:41 p.m.
                 Re: You know...Ernie 6/6/04 10:40 p.m.
                       Re: You know...Bob-B-Q 6/7/04 6:48 a.m.
                             Re: You know...Johannes Gunnar 6/7/04 10:28 a.m.
                                   Re: You know...Cheerful 6/7/04 10:42 a.m.
                                         Re: You know...Bob-B-Q 6/7/04 4:56 p.m.
                                         Re: You know...Ernie 6/8/04 12:15 p.m.
                                               sci-fi universesa disreputable source 6/8/04 1:25 p.m.
                                               Re: You know...Forrest of B.org 6/8/04 1:37 p.m.
                                                     Re: You know...Ernie 6/8/04 8:23 p.m.
                                                           Re: You know...Forrest of B.org 6/8/04 8:55 p.m.
                                                                 Meaning of "Canon"?Siphonopho 6/9/04 1:58 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Meaning of "Canon"?Mark Levin 6/9/04 6:35 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Meaning of "Canon"?Forrest of B.org 6/9/04 9:10 a.m.
                                                                       In truth, canon is what we say it is ;^) *NM*Steve Levinson 6/9/04 11:40 a.m.
                                                                 Re: You know...Max Etchemendy 7/26/04 1:19 p.m.
                                                           So you like magenta . . . (I better not go there) *NM*Steve Levinson 6/9/04 11:42 a.m.
                                                                 Re: So you like magenta . . .Ernie 6/9/04 4:06 p.m.
                                                                       Re: So you like magenta . . .Mark Levin 6/9/04 4:38 p.m.
                                                                             The M1 Pfhor textures were the best ;^) *NM*Steve Levinson 6/10/04 4:27 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: The M1 Pfhor textures were the best ;^)blake37 6/10/04 11:40 a.m.
                                                                                         Opinions on Pfhorishness?Forrest of B.org 6/10/04 11:48 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: The M1 Pfhor textures were the best ;^)Callie21V 6/10/04 12:11 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: The M1 Pfhor textures were the best ;^)Forrest of B.org 6/10/04 12:21 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: The M1 Pfhor textures were the best ;^)blake37 6/10/04 1:06 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: The M1 Pfhor textures were the best ;^)Forrest of B.org 6/10/04 1:37 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: The M1 Pfhor textures were the best ;^)Ernie 6/10/04 4:34 p.m.
                                                                                                           Re: The M1 Pfhor textures were the best ;^)Steve Levinson 6/10/04 4:44 p.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: The M1 Pfhor textures were the best ;^)Mark Levin 6/10/04 11:34 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: The M1 Pfhor textures were the best ;^)Steve Levinson 6/11/04 6:19 a.m.
                                                                                                                             Re: The M1 Pfhor textures were the best ;^)Gholsbane 6/12/04 4:37 a.m.
                                                                                                                 guys I am a bit drunk but...goran 6/11/04 3:20 p.m.
                                                                                                                       Re: guys I am a bit drunk but...blake37 6/12/04 2:15 a.m.
     Re: Spot the Nebulons, and other questions (pics)Forrest of B.org 5/12/10 2:24 p.m.
           Re: Spot the Nebulons, and other questions (pics)John Denton 5/12/10 10:48 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.