/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Story Discussion and maybe a scenario idea?
Posted By: CheerfulDate: 5/14/04 3:38 p.m.

I've always wondered what exactly happened to the Pfhor after the war. The ending screen for Marathon 2 seems to imply extermination. As we know nothing about what sort of government or society the humans by the time of M2/Infinity have, this is quite possible. But if the humans are the "good guys", as they seem to be, total xenocide is unlikely.

Of course, the Pfhor are a hive species, with the Hindmost Creche as the ultimate Queen. Presumably the destruction of the Hindmost Creche would have been necessary to defeat the Pfhor. Tfear himself described the HC as thinking on a level so advanced that it seemed insane, so if even the Pfhor couldn't really talk to her, the humans certainly wouldn't be able to negotiate with her. And hive mind species tend to self-destruct without the leader.

That said, the Pfhor are much more independent than ants or bees. Even low-ranking Pfhor clearly have some degree of free will. The scientists doing independent and illicit research on the F'lickta and Nar in Infinity are examples of this. Furthermore, a true hive mind would render a bureaucracy unnecessary, though the Pfhor rely on their elaborate bureaucracy.

In Rise, Robot Rise, the second level of Infinity, Tycho mentions that he needs the glands of the captain to control the ship. This leads me to believe that the Pfhor control one another through pheromones. A "Command" rank Pfhor, for instance, could use his pheromones to have complete control over any number of Aggregates. Again though, Pfhor of all ranks have some degree of free will. Thus, the control is not constant. During times of combat, or work or duress the lead Pfhor would use his glands to control all of his underlings, but other times the different Pfhor could do as they chose.

If this is the case, than the destruction of the Hindmost Creche would probably not result in the instant brain-death of the entire species. Those closest to her would be affected quite severely; many would die or go insane. But some would survive, even though Pfhor society would cease to function.

Anyway, extrapolating from this I had an idea for a scenario. I should say right now that I don't really know how to use Forge or Anvil, and I'm not good at ideas for ingenious or original maps. Basically what I'm offering is the outlines of a plot. If anyone is interested in designing maps and weapons and whatnot, I will be more than happy to flesh it out, write terminal messages etc. If not... I can make it a fanfic or something ;)

The shocked remnants of the Pfhor species did not offer any real resistence after the destruction of the Hindmost Creche. Not willing to exterminate the species, the humans consigned the Pfhor to a habitable (by Pfhor standards) world where they would hopefully rebuild their society as a client species of humanity.

Despite the change, Pfhor are simply not humans. Though they no longer have a powerful central hive mind, different castes are still extant, as is the control they exert over their subordinates. That said, while Pfhor society has recovered, they are definitely a race on the decline. The few surviving Imperial caste members simply do not have the necessary drive to be effective leaders, as they cannot receive needed directions from higher up. Lower castes are biologically unable to function as leaders. The scenario would revolve around the player being a Pfhor soldier (command rank maybe) serving the human military forces, rooting out pirates, Nar raiders or whomever. Though you understand the atrocities committed by your ancestors, you do not want your race to die out. The humans, well-meaning as some of them are, do not seem to have any answers for your race's salvation, and some are intent on making it worse. Throughout the game you might find some opportunity to save the Pfhor, but to make things interesting it should only be at some terrible cost.

So anyone interested? And sorry for the length. And if there's some huge hole in my theory about the Pfhor, please tell me (though I'm sure you guys won't need prompting!)

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Story Discussion and maybe a scenario idea?Cheerful 5/14/04 3:38 p.m.
     Re: Story Discussion and maybe a scenario idea?Forrest of B.org 5/14/04 3:55 p.m.
     Re: Story Discussion and maybe a scenario idea?Forrest of B.org 5/14/04 4:01 p.m.
     Re: Story Discussion and maybe a scenario idea?Yossarian 5/14/04 5:48 p.m.
           Re: Story Discussion and maybe a scenario idea?Cheerful 5/14/04 8:41 p.m.
                 Re: Story Discussion and maybe a scenario idea?Steve Levinson 5/17/04 5:51 a.m.
                       Re: Story Discussion and maybe a scenario idea?Mista_B 5/17/04 7:10 a.m.
                             Re: Story Discussion and maybe a scenario idea?Cheerful 5/17/04 11:58 a.m.
           Re: Story Discussion and maybe a scenario idea?Forrest of B.org 5/15/04 12:27 p.m.
                 Re: Another theory about the PfhorCheerful 5/15/04 9:31 p.m.
                       Re: Another theory about the PfhorForrest of B.org 5/16/04 8:17 p.m.
                             Re: Another theory about the PfhorPorky 5/19/04 4:24 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.