/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Man, I LOVE threads address to me...
Posted By: ErnieDate: 5/12/04 3:39 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Man, I LOVE threads address to me... (Forrest of B.org)

The Jjaro's first encounter with a W'rk was almost definitely
: the one on Earth, if you're going by my Jjaro history that they were once
: humans FROM Earth.

I think I see what you're saying. What confused me was thinking that the W'rk on Earth (Joshua, by RED logic) you were refering to was the 1994 incident - long after the events of Lh'owon.
However, in our Marathon-reality, "Joshua" crashed into Earth, making the Yuctan crater - wiping out the Dinosaur, etc - long before the Jjaro had to deal with he / them in space. I get it. : )

Interesting to think about: What 'other' W'rk was the "Joshua" W'rk fighting with to have knocked the god-like being into a slumber? "Michael" perhaps?

: However, in Eternal history they just sort of nuked it and it went back to sleep - they didn't fully realize what it was yet or have any clue how to deal with it permanantly. [In 1994 the Jjaro nuked it with the PiD player's help? Or the Jjaro Nuked the sleeping god from orbit after it crashed?]

: Their first encounter with a REAL W'rk out in the open causing hell could have been opening the gates to the Outside, like in WMaiD, except for one little problem I just realized... by M2's records, Yrro and Pthia fled the W'rkncacnter and came to Lh'owon to make the S'pht, which would indicate that they had left the the rogue star behind them.

: That seems to contradict your function of the rogue star in S'pht and Jjaro history... Humm. I placed some of the Jjaro's genetic experimentation in WMaiD just as a side show in the plot. Thus, setting up the conditions for the humans to have such technology by the time M:RED rolls around.

However, I do see what you mean by it contradicting Pita and friends cannon of M2. Any suggustions about what other types of sentient beings the Jjaro created *before* elevating the S'pht to sentience?

: It would be easy enough to rememdy and
: not break your story at all, I think, just by removing the S'pht
: historical function of the place and leaving it a strictly Jjaro artifact.

True enough. I'd like to keep that genetic development aspect to parts of the planet. The Jjaro had to develop the technology somewhere before traveling to Lh'owon.

: This would not, however reconcile it with Eternal history, which places the discovery of the Outside at the end (internally speaking) of the Jjaro's
: involvement with client races in the "real world". [snip]

: A remedy I can think of could be that the Jjaro initially tried creating a physical gateway to the Outside, something you could walk through, an actual "door of light" or some such, perhaps investigating it primarily
: as a mode of transportation, and in doing so let anything Outside in and
: vice versa which caused a lot of W'rkncacnter problems and so they stopped doing that and killed the experiments. Only a long time later did they begin to utilize the Outside in a purely informational fashion with the
: Cybernetic Junction,[snip]

I hint at this later in WMaiD - however things get zanyier once Durandal is in the mix, mucking about with the gateway. Oh what the future holds...

Regards,
-Blayne [ernie]

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Like anybody cares, except maybe Ernie...Forrest of B.org 5/6/04 12:41 p.m.
     Oh yeah, and if anyone wants a URL...Forrest of B.org 5/6/04 1:54 p.m.
     I Care! *NM*Steve Levinson 5/6/04 1:58 p.m.
           Thanks *NM*Forrest of B.org 5/6/04 3:04 p.m.
     Re: Like anybody cares, except maybe Ernie...rampancy 5/6/04 2:22 p.m.
           Re: Like anybody cares, except maybe Ernie...Forrest of B.org 5/6/04 3:03 p.m.
                 Man, I LOVE threads address to me...Ernie 5/7/04 5:15 p.m.
                       Re: Man, I LOVE threads address to me...Forrest of B.org 5/9/04 7:28 a.m.
                             Re: Man, I LOVE threads address to me...Ernie 5/12/04 3:39 p.m.
                                   Re: Man, I LOVE threads address to me...Forrest of B.org 5/12/04 7:11 p.m.
                                         Good info Forrest. Thanks. : ) *NM*Ernie 5/14/04 10:20 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.