/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: 3D Pfhor!
Posted By: •MDate: 5/4/04 12:01 p.m.

In Response To: 3D Pfhor? (Krazy)

: Has anyone else seen this model? I think it is very well modeled but the
: animations are really crap. What do you think?

Thanks and yes, they are crap.
For a much too long time now I've been doodling away with 3d-models in Aleph-One. Mind you, I can't program myself out of a mudpit, but the moment I saw the possibility was added to A1 I went a bit insane. Low-poly modeling, now that I can try. So I tried.

The concept is like replacing lowres textures with highres ones.
The Shapes-file's sequences (BOB-walk, pfhor-attack) can be replaced with textured 3D-models with MML. Different models for each sequence, or the same but animated model. With a couple of extra MML-lines one can add all kinds of different flavours, including glows and transparancies.

So with MML one could create for example a young pfhor (in fresh armour and still a bit luminiscent) who as the levels advance slowly changes (with MML) into a hardened (dented, scarred, dusted) veteran, still glowing from radiation and finaly retires as a withered, toothless senior fit for the Hindmost Creche.
Or add TWISTED catwalks/bent pipes/saxaphones to a level, or HUGE detailed spaceships, or BIG robots/dino's etc etc.

With OpenGl (only!) the possibility of adding 3d-models in Aleph-One could be a major benefit. A much more diverse and complex way of presenting objects (monster/scenery/etc) and with the strange and obscure method of the Dim3Animator even animation is possible. So that looks cool sofar.
It's still eye-fluff and behaviour is still directed from Shapes, Physics, MML, LUA(?). No collison-boxes or solid catwalks.

However... TANSTAAFL
it eats RAM a lot! Especialy Vram. The modeling can be done with Meshworks, a very mac-friendly low-poly 3D-modeling shareware (and hey! even the fee is affordable!). Then the .mesh file is imported into OSX, intoDim-Animator, so it can be animated. Here is the culprit responsible for the crude animation. Dim3 is a work-in-progress, and most certainly not yet finished. It IS very promising though. But the animation-module is... well... very sturdy and hard to handle. So every time there is an update of A1 AND Dim3, I lurch from under my nice wet stone and try things out.

A few models in a level are not that bad, but Marathon is about wholesale slaughter (and universal peace etc.etc) and well...A1 and heaps of 3D-monsters need some serious hardware. I'm working with a iMac 400 / 500mb ram / 8mb vram / OS9.2 and I have to use extension-manager to switch to basic macOS to play my own stuff...

It ain't no HEK.

If you're still not disheartened, have a go at:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jemmet/spnkrghol/dl/Inf_3Dpfhor-demo.sit
One level with 3 Marathon-monsters in 3D + some more candy.
4.2 mb
ONLY TESTED IN OS9
Do Read the Read-Me

|_spnkrghol_|

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

3D Pfhor?Krazy 5/3/04 2:36 a.m.
     and the link is.... ???? *NM*D-M.A. 5/3/04 3:06 a.m.
     Re: 3D Pfhor?Steve Levinson 5/3/04 3:20 a.m.
           Re: 3D Pfhor?ukimalefu 5/3/04 6:23 a.m.
                 Re: 3D Pfhor?Steve Levinson 5/3/04 6:53 a.m.
                       Re: 3D Pfhor?Forrest of B.org 5/3/04 8:28 a.m.
                             Re: 3D Pfhor?Steve Levinson 5/3/04 9:11 a.m.
                                   Re: 3D Pfhor?mneub12 5/3/04 12:36 p.m.
                                         Re: 3D Pfhor?Krazy 5/3/04 1:27 p.m.
                                               Re: 3D Pfhor?Mista_B 5/3/04 2:24 p.m.
                                                     Re: 3D Pfhor?mneub12 5/3/04 6:57 p.m.
                                   Re: 3D Pfhor?Tasnu Arakun 5/4/04 3:04 a.m.
                       Re: 3D Pfhor?ukimalefu 5/4/04 7:35 a.m.
           Re: 3D Pfhor?Ernie 5/4/04 2:49 p.m.
                 Re: 3D Pfhor?the Battle Cat 5/5/04 5:26 a.m.
     Re: 3D Pfhor!•M 5/4/04 12:01 p.m.
           Re: 3D Pfhor!ukimalefu 5/4/04 1:03 p.m.
                 No 3d Pfhor :-(ukimalefu 5/4/04 1:41 p.m.
                       Re: No 3d Pfhor :-(ukimalefu 5/4/04 2:03 p.m.
                             Re: No 3d Pfhor :-(•M 5/5/04 4:09 a.m.
                                   Re: No 3d Pfhor :-(ukimalefu 5/5/04 6:53 a.m.
                                         Re: No 3d Pfhor :-(ukimalefu 5/5/04 7:01 a.m.
                                               It works!!! :-)ukimalefu 5/6/04 8:08 a.m.
                                                     Re: It works!!! :-)•M 5/6/04 11:30 a.m.
           Re: 3D Pfhor!Krazy 5/4/04 11:12 p.m.
                 Re: 3D Pfhor!•M 5/5/04 4:07 a.m.
                       Re: 3D Pfhor!the Battle Cat 5/5/04 5:46 a.m.
                             Re: 3D Pfhor!•M 5/5/04 6:52 a.m.
           Re: Dim3 update•M 5/5/04 12:43 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.