/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

I agree with your point Goran - here's why
Posted By: ErnieDate: 4/30/04 3:33 p.m.

In Response To: Re: I'll give you my mind for a second (goran)

: It's not the end of a plot that is interresting, it's the way towards it. Thing
: is, if the universe is destroyed in a scenario, or if just anything is
: destroyed, it has never awoken strong emotions in me. Without the right
: details and focus, you'll never make a player shed a tear. I want to play a
: scenario which makes me care, cry and bubble with anger.
: -goran

Goran, I know what you mean. How can I communicate my point without sounding like an inane fool...

I’ve always looked upon 3rd party scenarios with some disdain, with the exceptions of M:Red, Rubicon, and one or two others.

There was always some new, unnamed AI, somehow using the player, somehow the universe is threatened, somehow I can't see how I care.

It's not an nice perception, but it's one I've carried. Rubicon was different.
With it's darker ending, and extension of what made Marathon great, it caused me to stare at my monitor - at the end screen - listening to the distinctly non-techno theme - for an very long time.

Through storyline consultations, and writing of 'Where Monsters Are In Dreams', I seek to create a scenario containing elements that didn't exist in other works, or were too small in quantity.
If you read the WMaiD fan fiction I wrote back in 2001, you can get an idea of this. Although the aim of the scenario is now different, (and thanks to Steve Levinson, far cooler) - I've tried to keep the elements that makes the player "care".

The fate of the universe is there, but through terminals, and dreams, I try to communicate this on an far more personal level.
I think Rubicon, and to some extent RED were able to do this through incidental Terminals not written by the AI, the Jjaro, or the Pfhor. Terminals that didn't order you to do something, to get the chip or kill the captain.
Terminals that told the effects of the players actions, emotional and physical, on those in your sphere of influence.

Why is anyone still designing content for an game engine that is almost ten years old? I create for the M:Inf Game engine because it is an superior method of telling an story. You can throw switches and save the world in any game. Marathon gives the player an avenue to explore, "the way towards" the end - the story that can potentially make an scenario remembered for years to come.

I'm not guaranteeing WMaiD will be some ultimate scenario. Far be it that I announce something like that.
I only hope once I am finished, WMaiD can be enjoyed by everyone, as I intend it to lives up the elements you've discussed Goran.

I wouldn’t spend four years of my life making it if I wasn’t sure of that.
: )

Best Regards,
-Blayne [Ernie]

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

TI/EVIL on OS X and "Bridges & Balconies"rampancy 4/27/04 7:14 a.m.
     Re: TI/EVIL on OS X and "Bridges & Balconies"Mark Levin 4/27/04 7:35 a.m.
           Bridges, Balconies, and RampsSiphonopho 4/27/04 10:47 a.m.
                 Re: Bridges, Balconies, and RampsJohannes Gunnar 4/27/04 12:31 p.m.
                       Re: Bridges, Balconies, and RampsSpeaker-To-Animals 4/27/04 12:59 p.m.
                             Re: Bridges, Balconies, and RampsMark Levin 4/27/04 2:45 p.m.
                                   Re: Bridges, Balconies, and RampsSteve Levinson 4/27/04 3:36 p.m.
                                         Re: Bridges, Balconies, and Rampsdurandalman1823 4/30/04 6:25 p.m.
                       Whither Marathon Aftermath?rampancy 4/27/04 2:09 p.m.
                             Re: Whither Marathon Aftermath?Johannes Gunnar 4/28/04 2:51 a.m.
                                   Re: Whither Marathon Aftermath?Forrest of B.org 4/28/04 10:18 a.m.
                                         Re: Whither Marathon Aftermath?Johannes Gunnar 4/28/04 10:31 a.m.
                                               Re: Whither Marathon Aftermath?Elliott 4/28/04 1:47 p.m.
                                                     I can't be quiet about this anymore :Pgoran 4/28/04 2:13 p.m.
                                                           Re: I can't be quiet about this anymore :PSimon of team Sigma 4/28/04 3:25 p.m.
                                                                 Re: I can't be quiet about this anymore :PElliott 4/28/04 9:03 p.m.
                                                                 Re: I can't be quiet about this anymore :Pgoran 4/28/04 9:51 p.m.
                                                                       Re: I can't be quiet about this anymore :PSimon of team Sigma 4/29/04 1:59 p.m.
                                                                             I'll give you my mind for a secondgoran 4/29/04 3:07 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: I'll give you my mind for a secondForrest of B.org 4/29/04 3:59 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: I'll give you my mind for a secondAdam Ashwell 4/29/04 4:20 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: I'll give you my mind for a secondForrest of B.org 4/29/04 4:40 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: I'll give you my mind for a secondSteve Levinson 4/29/04 4:27 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: I'll give you my mind for a secondElliott 4/29/04 8:45 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: I'll give you my mind for a secondgoran 4/29/04 11:24 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: I'll give you my mind for a secondgoran 4/29/04 11:27 p.m.
                                                                                               I agree with your point Goran - here's whyErnie 4/30/04 3:33 p.m.
                                                                                                     Re: I agree with your point Goran - here's whyElliott 5/1/04 1:08 a.m.
                                                                                               Re: I'll give you my mind for a secondForrest of B.org 4/30/04 3:49 p.m.
                 Re: Bridges, Balconies, and Ramps•M 4/27/04 7:49 p.m.
           Re: TI/EVIL on OS X and "Bridges & Balconies"Me!! /_43 4/28/04 11:26 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.