/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: RED Volunteers: Mmmm... Tastes like Evil
Posted By: Dr. John SumnerDate: 4/13/04 2:55 p.m.

In Response To: Re: RED Volunteers: Mmmm... Tastes like Evil (Steve Levinson)

: Actually, I use the same strategy for finding secrets, as documented on my
: Rubicon Secrets page. It's interesting that John and I have very different
: interests when it comes to playing a level to the fullest. His goal is to
: pick up all the ammo, and he'll put himself in harms way to do so. No need
: to explore an area of there's no ammo there, but he'll use 20 rounds of
: grenades to pick up one magnum round (perhaps I exaggerate, especially
: since he's a master at fists-only).

Yes, you are exaggerating quite a bit, but I know it's partly in jest. Let me clarify further my approach to a typical level. Anytime I play any level of any scenario, I have four FIRM goals in mind. Those are (1) completely explore the entire level, (2) defeat all enemies....and I mean all...Ticks, Juggs, everything...using NO ammo or as little as possible...(I'll even fist a Jugg till I defeat it, just to avoid using ammo...obsessive I know, but aren't we all to a degree?), (3) collect all ammo, and (4) find all secrets. Now, anyone with a modest amount of Marathon experience knows that it is not possible to complete all four of these goals on every level. Consequently, sometimes I have to relax one or more of these goals in order to complete certain levels. So let me just say this: When playing any level of any scenario, I will do my very best to complete all four of these goals.

: John and I probably both
: explore Come and Take your Medicine fully - John for the ammo and me to
: see what's out there (but I do pick up all the ammo, of course).

Absolutely, that is one of my favorites for exploring. But all four goals are still in mind when playing even this level.

:On the
: other hand, if a particular area in a map is dangerous to explore and ends
: up wasting a ton of ammo to reach, I'll reluctantly skip it, particularly
: if I'm low on ammo. If there's a round to be had, John'll go for it.

Steve is not quite correct in that I will sacrifice almost anything in order to obtain ammo. I cannot think of any scenario in which the creator placed an ammo cache in a location where I have had to use even a modest amount of ammo for the purpose of collecting it (this is assuming that it is even possible to obtain it). If a particular ammo cache is heavily guarded by enemies, then I WILL find a way to grab that ammo without using ammo, or at worst I will end up using a very small amount. Trust me, when it comes to collecting ammo, I know all the tricks in the book. And I will use any means possible (short of cheating) to get it.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

RED Volunteers: Mmmm... Tastes like EvilMark Levin 4/13/04 10:08 a.m.
     Re: RED Volunteers: Mmmm... Tastes like EvilDr. John Sumner 4/13/04 12:25 p.m.
           Re: RED Volunteers: Mmmm... Tastes like EvilMark Levin 4/13/04 12:53 p.m.
                 Re: RED Volunteers: Mmmm... Tastes like EvilSteve Levinson 4/13/04 1:07 p.m.
                       Re: RED Volunteers: Mmmm... Tastes like EvilDr. John Sumner 4/13/04 2:15 p.m.
                             Re: RED Volunteers: Mmmm... Tastes like EvilSteve Levinson 4/13/04 2:29 p.m.
                                   Re: RED Volunteers: Mmmm... Tastes like EvilDr. John Sumner 4/13/04 2:55 p.m.
     Re: RED Volunteers: Mmmm... Tastes like EvilSteve Levinson 4/13/04 1:00 p.m.
           Re: RED Volunteers: Mmmm... Tastes like EvilMark Levin 4/13/04 1:18 p.m.
     Re: RED Volunteers: Mmmm... Tastes like EvilYossarian 4/13/04 1:39 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.