/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: RED Volunteers: Jägermeister's Nightmare
Posted By: Steve LevinsonDate: 4/12/04 12:04 p.m.

In Response To: RED Volunteers: Jägermeister's Nightmare (Mark Levin)

Very nice run-through, Mark. This is a tough, but playable level thanks to the fairly early availability of a pattern buffer and shield recharger - excuse me - armor repolymerizer. Getting to go can be tough, but most players should only die a few times before getting it right.

Not only is the level drab, but it's dark and it's often difficult to see the beasts until they are upon you. They're appearance is fairly predictable, however, and so anticipating them provides the opportunity to berserk them and get them to take each other out. The new omega beetles can be evaded as Mark did, but they are very susceptable to shotgun blasts and can usually be eliminated quickly if you're fast on your feet. The Omega turtle is a bit harder to fight. There are a number of ledges from which both metalloids and marines were fighting, some of them dropping their ammo up there. Occasionally you can reach some of this by jumping from the fortified ledge you emerge on and using your fusion mace to pull you up and forward (be sure to look up while doing this). Most of the ledges are inaccessible except by using the omega cannon. With the cannon, you can even take a shortcut from insertion point to the area behind the first wall where you insert the mine. I haven't tried it, but I suspect that this could leave you trapped.

Speaking of mines, this is a subject unto itself. I am not aware of any other major scenario (note my disclamer this time) with this type of weapon. We've seen weapons with delays before, but one that is activated by walking over it is something new. I'm not sure how this is done from an Anvil standpoint and would love to hear more about this from other participants. The use of mines to blast open rock walls, however, is a mirrage. The insertion points are simply switches and tabbing them starts a cascade of events - most important of which is the lowering of a series of platforms, providing access beyond that point. What I'm not sure of is how Ian makes use of your existing mine supply. In Rubicon's iwannavacuum, by contrast, only a switch is used without any requirement of ammo for it. What Ian seems to be doing is using your mine supply as a chip that is required to activate the switch. I'm not sure how this could be done in the Marathon engine and would love to hear from others on this. In spite of the potential for the player becoming trapped on this level, the implementation is pretty cool. There's even a blast radius, so be sure to hightail it away after placing your mines.

This time I did find the secrets Mark mentioned - no goodies, but some interesting new information and an extra place to explore. Of course, none of this will help you in Tastes Like Evil. Suffice it to say, you are about to enter one of the most interesting, difficult and frustrating levels in the entire scenario. Prepare to die, and die, and die again.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

RED Volunteers: Jägermeister's NightmareMark Levin 4/12/04 10:54 a.m.
     Re: RED Volunteers: Jägermeister's NightmareDr. John Sumner 4/12/04 11:35 a.m.
     Re: RED Volunteers: Jägermeister's NightmareDr. John Sumner 4/12/04 11:48 a.m.
     Re: RED Volunteers: Jägermeister's NightmareSteve Levinson 4/12/04 12:04 p.m.
           Re: RED Volunteers: Jägermeister's NightmareDr. John Sumner 4/12/04 12:09 p.m.
                 I know exactly what you did - very cleaver! *NM*Steve Levinson 4/12/04 12:50 p.m.
                       As in: Ward, June, Wally, and Beaver? *NM*Yossarian 4/12/04 3:13 p.m.
                             Are you moking my speling? *NM*Steve Levinson 4/14/04 5:09 a.m.
           Re: RED Volunteers: Jägermeister's NightmareMark Levin 4/12/04 12:20 p.m.
     Re: RED Volunteers: Jägermeister's Nightmarerampancy 4/12/04 12:09 p.m.
           Re: RED Volunteers: Jägermeister's NightmareMark Levin 4/12/04 12:26 p.m.
                 Re: Brothers W'rkncacnters? Ah...Ernie 4/12/04 1:30 p.m.
                       Re: Brothers W'rkncacnters? Ah...Mark Levin 4/12/04 2:04 p.m.
                       Re: Brothers W'rkncacnters? Ah...rampancy 4/12/04 2:08 p.m.
                       Re: Brothers W'rkncacnters? Ah...Forrest of B.org 4/13/04 8:21 p.m.
                             Whatever, you don't mess with THE W'rkncacnter *NM*ukimalefu 4/13/04 9:14 p.m.
                                   Re: Whatever, you don't mess with THE W'rkncacnterForrest of B.org 4/14/04 6:36 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.