/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: RED Volunteers: Noises in the Dark: Pistol
Posted By: YossarianDate: 3/27/04 12:44 p.m.

In Response To: RED Volunteers: Noises in the Dark (Mark Levin)

: Mercury .33: This is more of a submachine gun than a pistol, holding 90
: rounds and firing very, very quickly. It's also limited to the Pfhor and
: lesser Organics for now. When you get 2 of them it can be more formidable.

I think that in the case of this weapon, Ian threw practicality out the window in favor of a more stylish, aesthetically pleasing weapon. Now I'm no nit-picker (lie), but there are a few things about this gun that makes me wonder if no one pointed these out to him or if he just ignored them:

1.) The intake for the clip is at the front of barrel. This renders the entire length of the barrel up to where the action should be totally useless. This would also cause the weapon to be highly inaccurate and its effectiveness extremely short-ranged, as there is no length of barrel left to rifle or spin the round before it leaves the gun; all of this essentially making the scope quite useless.

2.) The clip can supposedly accomodate ninety rounds, however a clip holding .33 ammunition in that quantity would be around 30 inches long: not very "compact". This would also be prohibitively heavy, even if this weapon utilized a drum as opposed to a clip, which a pistol would not.

3.) The round, .33 caliber, is not likely going to be found in a pistol, and the rounds are usually magnum rounds, i.e., not going to fit in a pistol anyways. Most common are .338 and .340 rounds, which can be used in hunting to take down anything from coyotes to bears, but again, by being shot from a rifle. But even if such a round were jacketed to be fired from a pistol, it would not have nearly the stopping power of its big brother Magnum, and would not, IMO, be distributed as a common military sidearm (were this the case, it would most probably find its way into a revolver as opposed to an auto pistol or SMG) Today, you're going to find few military or police forces that carry anything smaller than a .38 round, and 9mm and .45 are the most common. Given that it often takes one or more shot of a .44 magnum round (Taxi Driver, anyone?) to down a mere fighter, it's unlikely any military fighting the Pfhor would then downgrade the calibre of their standard munition.

Now despite the shortcomings, this gun really is a blast to shoot. The rate of fire, sound, and recoil give the impression of a lighter gun, but given its other characteristics that seems unlikely. Having two of these bad boys at once is three times the fun as one, and I have to say that this is probably the funnest "starting gun" I've had in any of the scenarios. It's got more balls than the original Trilogy pistols, as well as the Rubicon pistol ( which is practical, workable, but not horribly original), and this is most probably due to the fact that it has to double as our pistol and our AR.

In short, I think the concept might have worked better if he made this weapon less pistol-like, perhaps instead revamping a true SMG such as an UZI (9mm)...but I think the weapon as it stands and performs in the context of RED is actually quite good.

: Here, we encounter one of RED's dumber mistakes, as the door that opens on
: your approach will kill you if you linger.

Sometimes it don't matter what you're carrying. Sometimes you just get squashed by platforms.

Yoss

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

RED Volunteers: Noises in the DarkMark Levin 3/27/04 9:35 a.m.
     Re: RED Volunteers: Noises in the DarkDr. John Sumner 3/27/04 10:10 a.m.
           Re: RED Volunteers: Noises in the DarkSteve Levinson 3/28/04 10:33 a.m.
     Re: RED Volunteers: Noises in the Dark: PistolYossarian 3/27/04 12:44 p.m.
           A question for the resident Ammo Expert...Ernie 3/27/04 1:12 p.m.
                 Re: A question for the resident Ammo Expert...Ernie 3/27/04 9:23 p.m.
                       Re: A question for the resident Ammo Expert...Mista_B 3/28/04 2:38 p.m.
                             Re: A question for the resident Ammo Expert...Yossarian 3/28/04 6:32 p.m.
                                   Re: A question for the resident Ammo Expert...Steve Levinson 3/28/04 8:46 p.m.
                                         Re: A question for the resident Ammo Expert...Yossarian 3/28/04 9:11 p.m.
                                               Re: A question for the resident Ammo Expert...Steve Levinson 3/29/04 5:55 a.m.
                                               o/~ See how they run o/~ *NM*thermoplyae 3/29/04 3:36 p.m.
                                         Re: A question for the resident Ammo Expert...Andrew Nagy 3/29/04 7:19 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.