/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

I'm not MADD, I'm just drawn that way.
Posted By: AnaphielDate: 3/14/04 6:11 a.m.

In Response To: Re: It's a MADD, MADD, MADD, MADD, World (Mark Levin)

: That one's blue, so it's friendly :P

Glad you picked up on that! Besides, it clearly shows as a green square on the motion tracker in the HUD, and that thing never lies.

: Awesome work... I really like the rigid armor on the Marine. Most other
: versions of him don't really match what I imagine a "battlesuit"
: to be, but this guy looks like he's ready for (and has been) taking a lot
: of punishment.

I tried to stay pretty close to the Marine as depicted in the M1 manual (these were done for M1A1 after all), but the manual refers to the suit as Battle Armor, and the sprites and sketches in the manual always looked a lot more flimsy than that to me (as much as I dig the bellbottoms). I tried to keep the chest armor looking more like a bulky flak-jacket sort of semi-rigid armor, but added in the rigid shoulder armor, bracers, and greaves to make it look a bit more military. Even though the character is really a Security Officer, it made sense to me that the armor issued to him would be a modified military suit.

If I was going to redesign the character frm scratch, I'd probably end up with something that looks a lot like the Spec-Ops TCTF guys in Oni: that armor looked like something a Security Officer would wear in real life.

The Battlecat had made a suggestion back when he saw the original version to add in the HUD that the player sees in game reflected in the helmet visor. I finally took his advice, and I like the idea but I'm not sure how well I implemented it. Maybe if I try to fix the face I'll fiddle with that as well.

: As for suggestions... The curved "ribs" in the back would probably
: be supports made of concrete or something similar. I think the gaps
: between them would be shallower, and the wall behind/between them should
: be vertical, letting them extend out near the top (maybe the ceiling would
: be visible in the upper right?) This would make it look more like a
: tunnel.

I whipped up a revision based on this feedback this morning... it does look a bit more interesting with some of the wall showing between the struts. I've attached it to this post, so tell me what you guys think. Maybe I need to use a less-detailed basic texture layer (recycled a couple of the wall textures I did for M:R and M1A1)?

: (The computer I'm using right now is actually on extended loan from someone
: else, so I've been loathe to excessively customize it. But I'm changing
: the wallpaper now :) )

Wallpapers, Desktops, whatever you call 'em.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

It's a MADD, MADD, MADD, MADD, WorldAnaphiel 3/13/04 8:42 p.m.
     Re: It's a MADD, MADD, MADD, MADD, WorldATMantis 3/13/04 9:43 p.m.
           Re: It's a MADD, MADD, MADD, MADD, WorldMark Levin 3/13/04 10:27 p.m.
                 I'm not MADD, I'm just drawn that way.Anaphiel 3/14/04 6:11 a.m.
                 Re: It's a MADD, MADD, MADD, MADD, WorldD-M.A. 3/14/04 9:43 a.m.
     Re: It's a MADD, MADD, MADD, MADD, WorldAdam Ashwell 3/14/04 4:49 a.m.
           Re: It's a MADD, MADD, MADD, MADD, WorldD-M.A. 3/14/04 5:40 a.m.
                 Re: It's a MADD, MADD, MADD, MADD, WorldAnaphiel 3/14/04 6:18 a.m.
                       Re: It's a MADD, MADD, MADD, MADD, WorldD-M.A. 3/14/04 9:53 a.m.
                             Re: It's a MADD, MADD, MADD, MADD, WorldAdam 3/15/04 5:43 a.m.
     Re: It's a MADD, MADD, MADD, MADD, WorldTych-Psych 3/15/04 5:21 p.m.
           Re: It's a MADD, MADD, MADD, MADD, WorldStarship Security Officer 3/15/04 5:34 p.m.
           Re: It's a MADD, MADD, MADD, MADD, WorldYossarian 3/15/04 5:36 p.m.
                 Re: It's a MADD, MADD, MADD, MADD, WorldAnaphiel 3/15/04 6:25 p.m.
                       Re: It's a MADD, MADD, MADD, MADD, Worldthe Battle Cat 3/16/04 3:36 p.m.
           Re: It's a MADD, MADD, MADD, MADD, WorldAnaphiel 3/15/04 5:46 p.m.
                 *giggles* Dark Helmet Is Funny, Spaceballs=GOOD! *NM*Starship Security Officer 3/15/04 5:47 p.m.
                       OK, so now he doesn't look like Barney FifeAnaphiel 3/16/04 11:52 a.m.
                             Re: OK, so now he doesn't look like Barney FifeKirk 3/17/04 1:23 a.m.
                                   Figures ;)Anaphiel 3/17/04 3:10 a.m.
                                         Re: Figures ;)Kirk 3/17/04 3:53 a.m.
     Re: It's a MADD, MADD, MADD, MADD, WorldLt Devon 3/18/04 4:53 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.