/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: Want feedback on idea
Posted By: the Battle CatDate: 2/11/04 6:27 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Want feedback on idea (Steve Levinson)

: Hay, let's not be so hard on the guy. He has a good idea and is probably just
: niaive about the work involved. More power to him if he can pull this off,
: but if he has no prior experience, all that's needed is a reality check -
: not a thrashing.

My bad. My intention was to inject some humor, not beat up on the guy. My apologies to Me!! if it looked like that. I'm all for another take on the Marathon open source, I think this is long overdue in coming. My feedback would be to concentrate on things that improve game play as opposed to things that improve the looks. AO went the eye candy route first and it took them forever to produce something that actually improved the game itself. Here is what I would want done in this new open source project in the order of importance I think they should have. Just MHO for this poll.

1) All changes to the engine are reflected by similar changes in the game mod editors (all of which are in OSX).
2) Introduce TCP/IP online Internet play that is on par with newer games. Feel free to replace LAN play code if you have to, it is much more likely folks would get together on the Internet to play. If you want to play on a LAN you have the original game.
3) Fix crashes caused by too many transparent lines and too many vertex points in a row, fix Rescue Mode game play, and fix purple power-up canisters in a water level while you are at it.
4) Monster, BOB and object scripting
5) Expand the comm terms to allow menu selections (or some scheme) within it that could change the course of the game. IE: where you teleport to, tag switch activation, monster activation and placement, and decision trees for plot development and conversation with the term.
6) Game readme that's helpful.

This is just off the top of my head. I'll be kicking myself later I can tell.

Gary Simmons
the Battle Cat

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

Want feedback on ideaMe!! 2/8/04 9:28 p.m.
     Re: Want feedback on ideaJacke 2/9/04 6:04 a.m.
     Re: Want feedback on ideaElliott 2/9/04 7:55 a.m.
     Re: Want feedback on ideaSteve Levinson 2/9/04 9:26 a.m.
           Re: Want feedback on ideaJacke 2/9/04 10:18 a.m.
                 Re: Want feedback on ideathe Battle Cat 2/10/04 5:40 a.m.
                       Re: Want feedback on ideaD-M.A. 2/10/04 5:45 a.m.
                             Re: Want feedback on ideaSteve Levinson 2/10/04 6:27 a.m.
                                   Re: Want feedback on ideaJacke 2/10/04 6:50 a.m.
                                         Re: Want feedback on ideathe Battle Cat 2/11/04 5:57 a.m.
                                   Re: Want feedback on ideaD-M.A. 2/10/04 6:50 a.m.
                                         Re: Want feedback on ideaMe!! /_43 2/11/04 1:17 p.m.
                                               Re: Want feedback on ideaD-M.A. 2/12/04 12:46 a.m.
                                   Re: Want feedback on ideathe Battle Cat 2/11/04 6:27 a.m.
                                         Re: Want feedback on ideaLittle Kago 2/11/04 10:02 a.m.
                                               Re: Want feedback on ideaMe!! 2/11/04 12:54 p.m.
                                                     Re: Want feedback on ideaLittle Kago 2/11/04 6:41 p.m.
                                                           Re: Want feedback on ideaMe!! /_43 2/12/04 3:53 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Want feedback on ideaLittle Kago 2/12/04 5:44 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Want feedback on ideathe Battle Cat 2/13/04 6:45 a.m.
           Re: Want feedback on ideaMe!! 2/11/04 1:07 p.m.
                 I like thisgoran 2/11/04 1:54 p.m.
                       Re: I like thisElliott 2/11/04 3:38 p.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.