/-/S'pht-Translator-Active/-/

Re: SoNK Volunteers - Operation Clean Sweep
Posted By: Mark LevinDate: 1/11/04 8:05 a.m.

In Response To: SoNK Volunteers - Operation Clean Sweep (Steve Levinson)

: This is an extermination level, but it
: seems that we don't have to exterminate any of the fl'ickta

The terminal says we are required to kill all the aliens, but this level is marked as Exploration. And a good thing too- The secret area contains enough monsters that it would not be possible to complete a "real" extermination mission without finding it. (We've long known of the quirk (not sure if it's a "bug") in the 2/Infinity engine which counts an Extermination mission as complete if there are still 8 monsters on the level, but the secret here has 13.) There are only 2 must be explored polygons, one near the second terminal and one closer to the MOAH, but reaching them still requires exploring most of the level.

: This level demonstrates one key point very well about Frigidman's maps - not
: all switches bring about desirable actions.

Yes, and this is really unfortunate as "helpful" switches are pretty much standard, in the original game and in most other 3rd party maps. At least normally when something bad happens either you're given a warning about it or the map uses a trigger polygon to pretend that it's not your fault, those monsters just happened to be on patrol nearby :P

: This level is full of places to explore and secret or nearly secret rewards
: for doing so. Curiously, though, on this run through, I noticed an alien
: form in my motion detector that was way outside of the visible areas of
: the map - and I'd thought I'd explored everything. This could only mean
: one thing - a new secret area that I'd never seen before!

I never found my way into the big secret, but I did find a pair of secrets you didn't mention here. Across the lighted bridge to the west is a room with a large crate standing in front a door. Run behind the crate and a tiny platform in it will descent, giving you a 1x powerup and some ammo on top of the crate. If you stand near the beginning of the lighted bridge and hit action, a set of stairs will descend and give you access to a 2x charger. Near the charger is a switch that opens a secret door on the other side of the pillar, with some more ammo and a 3x powerup.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Replies:

SoNK Volunteers - Operation Clean SweepSteve Levinson 1/10/04 7:00 p.m.
     Re: SoNK Volunteers - Operation Clean SweepAdam Ashwell 1/11/04 2:32 a.m.
     Re: SoNK Volunteers - Operation Clean SweepMark Levin 1/11/04 8:05 a.m.
           Re: SoNK Volunteers - Operation Clean SweepSteve Levinson 1/11/04 3:29 p.m.
                 Re: SoNK Volunteers - Operation Clean SweepMark Levin 1/11/04 5:01 p.m.
           Re: SoNK Volunteers - Operation Clean SweepSteve Levinson 1/12/04 4:51 a.m.
                 Re: SoNK Volunteers - Operation Clean SweepMark Levin 1/12/04 6:59 a.m.
     Re: SoNK Volunteers - Operation Clean SweepKeith Palmer 1/11/04 10:08 a.m.

[ Post a Reply | Message Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg ]
Pre-2004 Posts

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If you'd like to include a link to another page with your message,
please provide both the URL address and the title of the page:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:

If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

Problems? Suggestions? Comments? Email maintainer@bungie.org

Marathon's Story Forum is maintained with WebBBS 5.12.