Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

HBO Weekly Review
Posted By: Weekly Review <deanero2001@yahoo.com>Date: 7/21/03 12:05 p.m.

Well, it's been awhile since our last edition (March 2002).
But with posts exceeding 500+ per day, don't you find it tough to keep up?
So Ladies and Gentlemen, Children of all ages, I present you (again)...

HBO Weekly Review

Week Ending Sunday, July 20, 2003

Straight from Bungie's word-hole

1. Infininja writes: "So what are they playing now?"

SketchFactor: "Halo 2, of course. =)"

2. xenøs writes: "Yeah me and my mates are gonna have a huge Halo 2 LAN the day it comes out. And I know I won't get bored of the single player, - I've had Halo since not long after it came out and still play nearly every day."

SketchFactor: "I'll probably walk over to the LRS and strap in for a game... hey wait, I already did that.

Ok sorry, that was just plain mean. =)

Still, I can't wait to play the full blown finished game will all my friends outside of Bungie. That's going to rock."

3. CYBRFRK writes: "1. Couldn't get ahold of Brian while in Seattle, left him voicemail, so no tour for Johnny Boy of the stronghold."

SketchFactor: "DOH! Man, I got your message about a week late. =( My cell phone was out of commission for at least a last month, probably longer. The damn antenna snapped completely off and I just abandonded it on my desk at home. It didn't really dawn on me that you only had my cell number. By the time I got your message you were in another state. =( My apologies and the offer still stands if you're ever in this neck of the woods again."

4. Boss "Wart" Hogg writes: "Haven't they switched to just selling the S-controller? I like the original for my big ol' hands."

Evil Otto: "All the instances of a controller I'm using in the Halo 2 UI are the type-s. That's what Xboxes come with these days. I personally prefer the old Duke controller. I'm looking into seeing if we can display the proper controller in the config screens without too much of a development impact. It certainly ranks low in the list of features we want in the UI, though."

and continues with "The Duke controller was listed in Gamespot's biggest Video Game blunders of all time so apparently somebody likes the type-S better. What do you think? Normally I frown on directing traffic to my chapter (it's closed to Microsoft personnel only -so don't ask). Our current poll asks which controller you prefer. Currently the Duke is creaming the Type-s with 75% of the vote.

I've opened my poll to the public. If you have a bungie.net account, click the link below, scroll down and cast your vote. I'm very curious to see the results."
    Vote here.

and Monkey continues with "How do the other guys @ Bungie feel about the "Duke" ? I have been unable to get an answer out of Microsoft as to why they scrapped the Big Daddy ,as a Microsoft employee do you know anything we dont ? Oh and please try to Include the "Duke" in Halo 2 we sure would like to see it - Mike"

Evil Otto: "I'm not aware of anyone here at Bungie that prefers the Type-s when playing Halo.

My 9 year old kept throwing grenades at me in co-op. He kept saying it was an accident. I finally figured out his fingers were so small, they could barely wrap around the Duke controller and he'd inadvertently pull the left trigger every 30 seconds of play. I finally bought him a type-s.

I don't know why MS changed the default controller that comes with each xbox but the above paragraph probably is some indication.

SketchFactor : "Ok, unleash the flames...
    I use Controller-S. I made the switch as soon as it came out and I've never gone back. So there!

Actually, Acrhonos also recently switched to Controller-S. At least 2 people here use it!"

5. Louis Wu writes: "Several people have discovered it by exploring in coop mode, but with one player. See, for example, Frogblast's first and second examinations of this." [referring to this.]

Evil Otto: "blown texture cache"

6. Miguel Chavez writes: "There already exists an official Bungie Rumor Control ".

SketchFactor: "I saw this "news" post as well. It's quite funny. Their "reliable" source is anything but.

Believe this."

Louis Wu: "Oh, what the hell do YOU know, anyway?

I'm going with the Xbox365 estimate. I like it better. :)"

mnemesis: "Yeah, and besides, that "msoell" guy doesn't even work at Bungie anymore!

;-P"

SketchFactor: "Ok you're right, I can't hide the lies any longer... the game is on retail shelves already actually... it's an extra disc inside the "Sneakers" game box."

7. SketchFactor asks: "Who do you guys want us to interview next?

8. Iceman1330 writes: "new halo 2 renders at b.net check em out. and dont flame if metioned previously."

Anim8rJB: "Just a correction - none of the new stuff is a render. The marine/warthog shot is a screengrab from my debug kit, and the wireframe overlay pieces are sceenshots from my computer."

Wu is me!

1. "Damn. I can never keep those four-letter homonyms apart..."

2. "Just don't whine about it."

3. "You know... I've got an email address. It works for stuff like this. Really. :)"

4. "Have you never been shot from behind by someone?"

5. "Because every spare moment is spent running this dang website."

6. "Well, gee, Mr. McMahon, thanks for this Porsche 911, but I think I'm gonna have to pass on it and keep my Yugo. You see... the controls will take a lot of adjusting."

7. "You make my head spin round and round. I'm not sure that's a good thing."

8. "The little furry guy is safe... for now. Which means I'm gonna have to find something ELSE for lunch. :( "

9. "Here's the problem"

10. "It's up and running again, on its new port, in a new cage... and would have been ALMOST on time if not for the idiocy of its maintainer."

Mig's free will

1. "The fact that all that Louis did is point you to the LINK THAT'S ALREADY THERE, IN BIG LETTERS, THAT SAYS "READ OR ELSE" and yet some folks need to be held by the hand to see it, must drive Louis insane.

I feel for you mr. wu."

2. {Does anyone here becides me feel dissapionted in bungie for porting halo to the pc and not sticking with the x-box?}

"I've been following the company since the early 90's. You have *no* idea how ironic your statement is."

3. "He is a wall of stupidity."

mneme-says

1. "How about simply knocking a couple of neutron stars together?"

2. "Wait, the original Xbox Halo was supposedly a betrayal, too.

Then again, so was the PC port of Marathon 2, and probably the sale of the Myth franchise. Plus Oni, can't forget about that. What are we at, 6? ;-)

Just one more for the magic number!"

3. "That's it...The Seventh Betrayal!"

Shishka-Bob

1. "Rookie! Shut! UP!"

2. "I would just laugh at him if it weren't for the fact that his overdeveloped ego and underdeveloped intelligence annoys the bajeezus out of me."

3. "I'm being too nice these days, handing out warnings before just forcing people to combust? I must be getting old."

4. "At any rate, maybe we can knock some sense into you before you hurt your ego."

5. "He won't. mnem knows I'll hack his RAM and steal his megahurtz if he tries the orbital beam cannon again."

6. "Allow me to be more blunt. You're KORHALing. You're always KORHALing. You're the reason why we call it KORHALing."

Flood of Interesting Stuff

Zohak wonders about the Forerunners - Telepathy?.

dolbex asks about the "Announcer dude" - Who is he? Find the answer here"

Ross Mills creates a contest! - Details inside.

Tim Jones posts his 343 quotes and thoughts - Think his theories can hold water?

Wado SG asks "How about this for : Halo's weapon? - "How about a weapon that projects a pulse that temporarily negates the gravity of a star, which causes it to go Nova?"

Wild Ride celebrates his 22nd Birthday! - "I turned 22 at 1200am and i am celebrating by playing halo"

CYBRFRK has made it back safely from his vacation. - Welcome back CYBR!

Alexis posts: Halo 2 Announcement Trailer vs E3 Realtime footage - "I've lately found myself watching both the Halo 2 Announcement Trailer and the E3 footage side by side comparing graphics."

David Mauro asks Easter=Egg? - "sound\sinomatixx_foley\d40_easter_foley" - is it an egg?

cam wonders about covenant reincarnation - "It may just be me but i wonder if the cov a)can clone their troops or b)really do believe in gods that bring the cov back to life after death."

Doug Radcliffe asks about Halo PC Strategy Guide "Weapon Gamer Tips" - "So, with that said, I'm going to include "Gamer Tips" (that's probably not the official name for them but it'll do for now) in the guide. These are "veteran" or expert Halo tips straight from players in the Halo community -- you!"

Joseph:Chaos says that Humans Are Forerunner - "He knew the human species. He knew that they were related to the Forerunner."

OmegaBullit asks The original controller, or controller S - "Do you think in Halo 2 they will show the original controller (IMO, the better of the two), or the new S controller (which I thought I liked better for a while, but the original just stole me back"

Shishka reminisces of the old days - "You have brought nothing to this world, and we will ensure you bring nothing out."

profhalo asks if anyone has been Through the ceiling of AotCR - Well, have you?

Mooreberg asks Will there be a strong connection between... - humans and the brutes?

jabond102 wonders what the clip size of the Battle Rifle - is.

Boll creates Sentinels *IMGs@250k*. - Check 'em out!

Lophan has a low-fan of his very own! Congratulations on the birth of Brandon! May you teach him the Bungie Way, Soon™!

deanero celebrates his daughter's first birthday today! Happy Birthday, Sydney!

It was a stark and dormy night...ummm..oh well, Halo FanFic entries this week

1. Agent Shade submits: Project: Shadow Spartan, Chapter 2 , Project: Shadow Spartan, Chapter 3 , Project: Shadow Spartan, Chapter 4 and Project: Shadow Spartan, Chapter 5

2. Agent Shade and Arinoth Koby submits: Shadow Spartans, Chapter 3: Interrogation and Assault and Shadow Spartans, Chatper 4: The Running Prophet

3. Chief-117 submits: Master Gunnery Sergeant Chapter 1

4. CoLd BlooDed submits: Return to Earth (Chptr 1: Attacked)

5. Dark Spartan submits: A World Apart Ch. 1

6. Elfster submits: Its Just One of Those Days (Prologue: 03)

7. Frensa Geran submits: Buried Treasure(4) and True Purpose: The Finale

8. Gasmask submits: Thrill of the Hunt

9. Gunnery Sergeant submits: Honore

10. harley submits: Battlefield

11. Hikaru-119 submits: The Fallen: Chapter 3 Section 3 The Fallen Arise and The Fallen: Halo 2 Chapter 3 Section 4

12. Hunter_Killer submits: D-Day II, Part One

13. J-117 submits: A John Before Halo: Part 2 and A John Before Halo: The Invaision Begins (Part 3)

14. James submits: A Final Shot - Part 1 and A Final Shot - Part 2

15. JediKnight114 (James) submits: Unexpected Surprises Part 6

16. Joshua Elias Barreto (Infernal) submits: The Long Ride Home 13: Home At Last

17. MadJackal submits: The Furious Hatred: Through the Eyes of an Elite

18. Matthew Buzas submits: Halo: The Aftermath pt. 2/5

19. nicholas submits: Halo Zero /p6/ Brute Force... Quite Literally and Halo Zero /p7/ The Prophet Meeting

20. Nightblade submits: Chapter 2: Ancient Artifacts and Chapter 3: Behind Enemy Lines

21. Nike submits: Lament of Innocence

22. 'Nosolee submits: The Fall of Fate: Raid (10)

23. pj-NYkr90 submits: A Marine's Tale: The First Days and The Maiden Fight: Reality Strikes A Stone Mind

24. Reclaimer submits: Oblivion Chapter 3 , Oblivion Chapter 4: Welcome to Mars and Oblivion Chapter 5

25. Ronald Maszk submits: Human vs. Covenant War: Part Five, Masterchief's Man Hunt

26. Shadowrunner submits: And so it begins... (Halo 2: Chapter 8) , Cortana's journey (Halo 2: Chapter 6) and New strength (Halo 2: Chapter 7)

27. Shinai Purugganan submits: Chapter 1: Key to Survival and Remnants of Reach: Prologue

28. Simon James submits: Running Riot- Part 1 and Running Riot-Part 2

29. Steele submits: Delta Squadron: Chapter One; Delta Squadron

30. That guy over there who smiles just a biiiit to wide.... submits: A day in the life of Master Chief....

31. The Scribe submits: Landing on Dracon

32. Tim Ricciardello submits: The Homecoming - Part 1

33. Ultimate Grunt submits: Used, Abused, and Blown to Smithereens: The tale of a Covenant Grunt - Chapter One

I want my HTv!

MaverickJ is at it again: Oddball Tactics Part 1 - Go check it out!!

Dave Writz writes: Sidewinder Saga Episode 1 is available! - Well, what are you waiting for???

Another episode of Red vs Blue is up at their website

Off the Mark

.mirage posts Daily Zen - Slow down and smell the roses.

guy who doesn't post....too often posts hilarity on E-bay - Something to chew on.

.mirage posts another Daily Zen - perfection.

Quotes of the Week

"Ok, I'm out for three weeks. Italy will be fun. Don't all die please." - gholsbane

"The collective might of all our ASSES, cheek to cheek, does not equal the one big fat hairy ASS that is you." - Miguel Chavez

"Wow. You never beat that? I never really found it all that hard... Maybe you just gave up, sissy-boy." - Exogenesis

Trolling Through the Park One Day...
And the Award for "Ban Roll-on" goes to...

Sam K - [Response to Louis Wu]"Damn, you're so full of yourself? Feel important that you have the *cliche music* BAN POWER?! It's a shame all forums have to be like this. Ladies and gentlemen of the forum, there is a world out there, and sorry it doesn't give a damn about you.

My search continues
Farewell, my loving fans."

A shame all forums have to be like this? Mental Note: If every forum I go to bans me, maybe...just maybe...THEY'RE ALL F'D UP!! I'M UB3RK1N6! I KIK U MB!

How to be a Jerk in Co-op

(Remember these?)

1. "If you use the plasma rifle against the flood, and you are... say... 30ft ahead of your friend... the flood usually fall, but do not die, as a result of the plasma rifle fire. (This is assuming you stop firing at their bodies after they fall down.) So as your friend is following you, suddenly all the flood you shot down should pop up to say "hi" to your co-op buddy." - FrogBlast

2. "Let your buddy ride the elevator halfway down, then hit X to bring it back up. Your buddy will promptly slip through the floor of the elevator and fall to his death." - Warbow

3. "kill your coop-er while you are in a banshee. when you fly, you are going too fast for them to respawn. now to really stiff them, land at the highest point possible or better yet crash into a high wall. when you crash, your speed will be low enough that the person respawns in midair and will fall and fall and fall. repeat as necessary." - Tirion of *WP*

4. "Wait until you Co-op buddy is standing on glass over the enemy. Shoot the glass and send your partner down into the middle of them. Then don't forget to says "Oops sorry" - Warbow

5. "Spend all your time breaking glass, don't worry about any enemies. You must run around hitting every piece of glass so that you hear the breaking sound. Don't kill anything, it just takes time way from your glass breaking. Do this until your partner either screams at you or just walks up behind and smacks you in the head. Either way at that point you know that you have become a Jerk." - Warbow

6. "My younger brother and I play Halo alot and he is 3(he has learned the controls very well) Well last night we played GS level and while the glass and the gernade ideas are good try this. When crossing the first bridge (not flashing) above a large group of flood and covenent get across first the deactivate the bridge with your partner on it. My brother did this to me and it =bleep=ed me off. I eventually was pulled to him by a check point and introduced him to the back end of my shotgun. Something similar can be done on AoTCR get to the elevators first and go down, Either you slow down your buddy (death is imminent then) or you kill them because they jump after you. (the elevator looks closer than it seems and it keeps moving faster than you can fall)." - Lt. Marx

7. "When your partner is being chased closely by infection flood (or anything else for that matter) Say "I've got your back!" and, instead of shooting the badguy down, toss a plasma 'nade onto the pursuer. The alien chasing your friend will become a homing grenade... your friend will promptly smack you." - FrogBlast

8. "This annoying trick involves using the checkpoint/loading areas of Halo and works better if you are playing legendary. Hang back near a checkpoint, wait until your co-op buddy is fighting an elite. When he/she finally has the elite's shield down, back up and trigger his/her return to your location. Generally, by the time he/she returns to the fight, the elite's shield are recharged. Keep doing this repeatedly. This trick also works well while your partner is flying a banshee. Wait until he/she is flying over an object that is normally not accessible from the ground, such as a bridge or large rock formation. Trigger the checkpoint and if you?re lucky his/her banshee will crash on said object. Leaving them on the ground where he/she belongs. Oh and as always don't forget to say 'Oops, sorry!' " - Warbow

9. "The setup: make sure that your partner is driving the warthog, you should be the gunner. You should not have a marine riding shotgun. Wait until your partner is driving toward a large group of Covenant. This part takes timing, you must wait until right before the hog is within range of the covenants weapons. Bail out, if you time it right, your partner will not realize that he has no gunner until it is too late. Hopefully there will be several jackals with over charged pistols to take out his/her shields and several elites to finish him/her off. Now comes the tricky part, you must act casual. When your partner asks "Why?" You respond "What??....I'm shooting them" while you firing a few pistol rounds in the general direction of the enemy." - Warbow

10. "Also, (especially when playing coop against the flood), should your buddy happen to die, toss a frag grenade onto his body (when he's not looking!). Thus scattering his weapons so to make him go through an aggrevating search and recover if he wants that Shotgun again.. " - pete_the_duck

11. "This trick also works well while your partner is flying a banshee. Wait until he/she is flying over an object that is normally not accessible from the ground, such as a bridge or large rock formation. Trigger the checkpoint and if you?re lucky his/her banshee will crash on said object. Leaving them on the ground where he/she belongs. Oh and as always don?t forget to say "Oops, sorry!" - Warbow

12. "This is fun with everyone, but it's better when I'm teaching new people to play while in a co-op mission with them. I usually do this on the light bridge, but whatever: while driving the warthog with them in it, I run it off the right side of the bridge and jump out at the last second when my door is at the edge. The best part is that they usually try to jump out, too, but that just makes them die faster." - Glenn Close

13. "Once again this works well on Legendary. The setup: make sure that your partner is driving the warthog, you should be the gunner. You should not have a marine riding shotgun. Wait until your partner is driving toward a large group of Covenant. This part takes timing, you must wait until right before the hog is within range of the covenants weapons. Bail out, if you time it right, your partner will not realize that he has no gunner until it is too late. Hopefully there will be several jackals with over charged pistols to take out his/her shields and several elites to finish him/her off. Now comes the tricky part, you must act casual. When your partner asks "Why?" You respond "What??....I'm shooting them" while you firing a few pistol rounds in the general direction of the enemy. If done correctly and if you use the correct tone of voice this technique should start you on the road to becoming a Jerk." - Warbow

14. "Going into battle, either two or three on a hog. 1. You are gunner , must have plasma grenade. - Just before, jump out, toss plasma (sticking) to rear underside - Hog flips, causing driver shield reduction, just as the attack begins 2. You are the side-seat passenger, must have plasma grenade. - To a sticky toss to the driver and/or gunner, and bail OR.... 3. You are the side-seat passenger, any grenade - Toss it out in front of the hog (like you are throwing at the enemy) - As you drive over, hang on...of all passengers, you will survive the best." - CYBRFRK

You think you're a jerk in co-op, or been jerked? Let me know, and if it brings the slightest hint of a smile out of me, I'll include it in next week's edition!

Newbie Corner:

Ahhh...a newcomer? Check this out!

FAQ's are great!

Spam! It's what's for dinner! (And not for Posting!)

Looking to download your favorite movie?

Can't view all of them gosh darn cool movies? Go here!

Or maybe you want to sit in the director's chair, and make a movie!

Search functions are great!

Would you like to spice up your posts with fancy-shmancy HTML?

Ever wonder when an egg is not an egg? Look here for more egg stuff.

What the heck is The Megg?

Message Index

Replies:

HBO Weekly ReviewWeekly Review 7/21/03 12:05 p.m.
     Welcome home! We missed you. =D *NM*Shishka 7/21/03 12:13 p.m.
     OMG!! Humongous post! :O Nice summary! *NM*BOLL 7/21/03 12:45 p.m.
     yayyyoddworld@work 7/21/03 12:47 p.m.
     Re: HBO Weekly Review.mirage 7/21/03 12:54 p.m.
     Re: HBO Weekly ReviewKonrad9 7/21/03 12:58 p.m.
           Re: HBO Weekly ReviewKP 7/21/03 3:43 p.m.
     Thank you.BLown-Upp 7/21/03 1:03 p.m.
           hmmm....we only get the week?? :P *NM*Zoidberg 7/21/03 1:04 p.m.
           Re: Thank you.Elan Sleazbagano 7/21/03 3:18 p.m.
     Re: HBO Weekly ReviewWarbow 7/21/03 1:22 p.m.
           Re: HBO Weekly ReviewWeekly Review 7/21/03 1:31 p.m.
                 Great job...battlefield promotion!Boxer [subnova] 7/21/03 1:58 p.m.
     Re: HBO Weekly Review - Wow, incredibleWado SG 7/21/03 1:58 p.m.
           Re: HBO Weekly Review - Wow, incredibleWeekly Review 7/21/03 2:15 p.m.
     Re: HBO Weekly Reviewmnemesis 7/21/03 2:04 p.m.
     Re:Nice sumaryIceFire 7/21/03 2:30 p.m.
     *Claps and does a happy dance* *NM*goatrope 7/21/03 3:58 p.m.
     This is very very helpful Thank you *NM*brandontyler 7/21/03 4:52 p.m.
     That helped very muchRed Loser 7/21/03 5:51 p.m.
     A YEARLY REVIEW WOULD KICK ASSfunkmon 7/21/03 7:12 p.m.
     yay, I can be lazy now :) tnx *NM*c0ld vengeance 7/21/03 8:00 p.m.
     Wurd *NM*Jamirus99 7/21/03 10:47 p.m.
     Great but long overdue. *NM*MereCatfish 7/22/03 2:58 a.m.
     Very cool.Infininja 7/22/03 7:17 a.m.
     Speaking as a long-gone forumgoer...NthDegree256 7/22/03 6:17 p.m.
           ... and once again, I forget to hit Preview. Dang. *NM*NthDegree256 7/22/03 6:17 p.m.
           Re: Speaking as a long-gone forumgoer...mnemesis 7/22/03 7:40 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.