Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Bungie Fanfest Update #2
Posted By: Skeletor <skeletor05@ftml.net>Date: 5/16/03 7:31 a.m.

In Response To: Bungie Fanfest Update #1 (Shishka)

: -S

Excellent summary Shishka, you seem to have covered pretty much everything. It was awesome meeting you and all the other HBO regulars there. Wow, I missed the alternate showing of the Halo 2 demonstration; I wish I could have been there!

I showed up pretty early at about 6:00 and spent some time walking around trying to find any information about the Fanfest that I could. The E3 guy at the door to the south-hall seemed to be pretty clueless at first about the whole thing, other than when it was supposed to begin. So I sat tight until I spotted Fearless Son in a Bungie DMUKYA shirt at about 6:20. Several minutes later I noticed Silverbrin, Djof, and some other fellow(s) (sorry, I don't think I ever got your names) at the door to the South Hall, sporting those cool Super-Issy T-shirts. We eventually formed a line and stood around for a while as the great legions of Bungie fans continued to pour into the building.

After a short delay (apparently because they couldn't find the badge-holders, heh) we made our way into the South Hall and headed for the Halo 2 theatre. Once everything was setup, Jaime talked for a bit before Sarge (in a clip that hasn't been seen on the net yet) interrupted him and spoke the rest of the introduction himself. Then the demonstration began, and Jaime played it out generally the same as in the Gamespot and IGN recording...that is, up until the part when one of the Marines plowed the Warthog into the hulk of a dead Ghost and sent it careening into the air. ^__^

The game automatically reverted to a previous area and Jaime continued the demo as usual. Another moment of note though was when he hijacked the Brute's ghost. It played out rather differently than in the recording I had watched, as the Brute veered off the road and crashed the vehicle. All very cool.

After the demonstration ended we exited the theatre and received the gift-bags that Shishka noted. The little Master Chief figures are pretty awesome.

Next, I made my way over to the Bungie store and bought a couple Fanfest 2003 shirts and the Myth II soundtrack. One odd thing though...I remember spotting some nice Halo paintings in the background behind the merchandise. I assumed they were to be shown or used in some fashion later in the Fest, but I don't think they ever left the shop. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

In any case, the RedVsBlue videos were being played on the large plasma screen in the center area, but I opted to check out the Halo PC kiosks. I hopped onto one of them and found it at the beginning of the second level in single-player. The controls were very nice, and, well, there's not much else to say. It's exactly like it was in the XBox version. The only differences I could spot immediately were the Elite's redone energy-shield and some of the particle effects such as the Needler which seemed a bit different, both barely noticeable at all. The higher resolution really adds a lot to the graphics. Everything seems far sharper and crisper than it does on a television.

The new multiplayer maps are excellent. I was able to play two of them, both very large and wide-open. My favorite was the one that seemed to recreate the environment of the second level, with rolling green hills and lots of pine trees. I witnessed several extremely cool Banshee dogfights, though I wasn't able to get my hands on one. The Fuel Rod Cannon is a very fun weapon to use, quite like an equal to the Rocket Launcher. They had a large number of Halo PC shirts on hand that they were giving away to those who placed high in the multiplayer games as the night went on. I stuck around and acquired one for myself.

After the Q&A session ended the trivia contest began, and Jen Taylor asked the questions for the contestants. She stuck around afterwards, taking pictures with and signing autographs for a bunch of people. As Shishka said, she is indeed a very cool person.

At the end of the night the raffle was held and all sorts of cool goodies were distributed, including some old-school Oni posters, colored XBox controllers, mugs, shirts, XBox Live starter kits, a hardback TFoR signed by Nylund himself, and at least a hundred TFoR/TF books and Halo strategy guides. They literally couldn't give away all of the books and strategy guides, they had so many O_o. People groaned as their number was called and the Bungie guy went to reach for the books. ^__^

In the end, I must say I had an awesome time over the course of the evening, and I especially enjoyed meeting all the Bungie community regulars that I've never known in person before.

I suppose I'll see some of you at Deanero's house tomorrow. Let the carnage ensue!

Oh yeah, and some images...

Back of Halo PC Shirt

Back of Fanfest shirt.

Badges and stickers.

Master Chief figures.

Message Index

Replies:

Bungie Fanfest Update #1Shishka 5/16/03 3:57 a.m.
     Re: Bungie Fanfest Update #1Neo Alucard X 5/16/03 4:40 a.m.
           Re: Bungie Fanfest Update #1Adam Daniel 5/16/03 11:37 a.m.
                 Marines and WarthogsShishka 5/16/03 11:49 a.m.
                       Re: Marines and WarthogsRed Loser 5/16/03 10:07 p.m.
     Re: Bungie Fanfest Update #1Electric Monk 5/16/03 5:02 a.m.
           Re: Bungie Fanfest Update #1Ross Mills 5/16/03 5:10 a.m.
                 Re: Bungie Fanfest Update #1Electric Monk 5/16/03 5:33 a.m.
                       Re: Bungie Fanfest Update #1Ross Mills 5/16/03 5:36 a.m.
                             Re: Bungie Fanfest Update #1Electric Monk 5/16/03 5:48 a.m.
     Re: Bungie Fanfest Update #1BOLL 5/16/03 6:11 a.m.
     Re: Bungie Fanfest Update #1Jamirus99 5/16/03 6:13 a.m.
     Bungie Fanfest Update #2Skeletor 5/16/03 7:31 a.m.
           Re: Bungie Fanfest Update #2Electric Monk 5/16/03 8:55 a.m.
                 Re: Bungie Fanfest Update #2Gwilym 5/16/03 10:25 a.m.
                 Re: Bungie Fanfest Update #2Skeletor 5/16/03 5:14 p.m.
                       Re: Bungie Fanfest Update #2Djof (Still in CA) 5/18/03 3:03 a.m.
           Re: Bungie Fanfest Update #2Red Loser 5/16/03 10:05 p.m.
                 Re: Bungie Fanfest Update #2Oso 5/18/03 5:01 a.m.
     Re: Bungie Fanfest Update #1CYBRFRK 5/16/03 12:38 p.m.
           Re: Bungie Fanfest Update #1Shishka 5/16/03 12:54 p.m.
                 Re: Bungie Fanfest Update #1Sledgefare 5/16/03 2:06 p.m.
                       Re: Bungie Fanfest Update #1Shishka 5/16/03 9:14 p.m.
           Re: Bungie Fanfest Update #1SketchFactor 5/19/03 1:38 p.m.
     Re: Bungie Fanfest Update #1Djof (Still in CA) 5/18/03 2:59 a.m.
           Re: Bungie Fanfest Update #1mehve 5/18/03 4:00 a.m.
                 Re: Bungie Fanfest Update #1Fearless Son 5/18/03 1:49 p.m.
                       Re: Bungie Fanfest Update #1Djof (Still in CA) 5/18/03 9:05 p.m.
                 Re: Bungie Fanfest Update #1Djof (Still in CA) 5/18/03 9:03 p.m.
                       Re: Bungie Fanfest Update #1Cunbelin 5/19/03 5:33 a.m.
     Re: Bungie Fanfest Update #1Kevin 5/18/03 12:42 p.m.
           Re: Bungie Fanfest Update #1gspawn 5/18/03 12:54 p.m.
                 Re: Bungie Fanfest Update #1Shishka 5/18/03 5:10 p.m.
           Re: Bungie Fanfest Update #1Erick 5/18/03 1:57 p.m.
     RG's mini Fanfest reportR.G. 5/19/03 4:09 a.m.
           wow r-who? :) nmvshields ash 5/19/03 4:37 a.m.
           Re: RG's mini Fanfest reportJamirus99 5/19/03 6:05 a.m.
           Re: RG's mini Fanfest reportLouis Wu 5/19/03 9:47 a.m.
                 Re: RG's mini Fanfest reportCYBRFRK 5/19/03 10:24 a.m.
                       Re: RG's mini Fanfest reportMiguel Chavez 5/19/03 11:47 a.m.
                             Re: RG's mini Fanfest reportLouis Wu 5/19/03 12:25 p.m.
                             Re: RG's mini Fanfest reportSketchFactor 5/19/03 1:41 p.m.
                                   LOL - Ooh tell more! *NM*Ross Mills 5/19/03 2:20 p.m.
                                   Re: RG's mini Fanfest reportCYBRFRK 5/19/03 2:20 p.m.
                                         Re: RG's mini Fanfest reportCYBRFRK 5/19/03 3:20 p.m.
                                               :-)Miguel Chavez 5/19/03 3:26 p.m.
                                                     ;-)mnemesis 5/19/03 3:31 p.m.
                                                           Re: ;-)deanero 5/19/03 3:38 p.m.
                                                                 Camper definedMiguel Chavez 5/19/03 4:34 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Camper defineddeanero 5/19/03 4:48 p.m.
                                                                             Re: Camper definedmnemesis 5/19/03 5:08 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: Camper defineddeanero 5/19/03 5:19 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: Camper definedMiguel Chavez 5/19/03 9:41 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: Camper definedmnemesis 5/20/03 12:25 a.m.
                                                                                               Re: Camper definedCYBRFRK 5/20/03 12:41 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Camper definedFearless Son 5/21/03 4:13 p.m.
                                                                             Re: Camper definedCYBRFRK 5/21/03 5:00 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: Camper definedMiguel Chavez 5/22/03 12:41 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Camper definedbiomonky 5/21/03 9:47 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: Camper definedMiguel Chavez 5/22/03 12:42 a.m.
                                                                 Re: ;-)CYBRFRK 5/19/03 4:47 p.m.
                                                     Re: :-)c0ld vengeance 5/19/03 3:33 p.m.
                 Re: RG's mini Fanfest reportShishka 5/19/03 11:54 a.m.
                 For the record...deanero 5/19/03 3:11 p.m.
                       Re: For the record...CYBRFRK 5/19/03 3:33 p.m.
           Re: RG's mini Fanfest reportmehve 5/19/03 5:57 p.m.
                 Re: RG's mini Fanfest reportR.G. 5/19/03 6:59 p.m.
     I'm back..finally.Warbow 5/19/03 10:46 a.m.
           Re: I'm back..finally.Louis Wu 5/19/03 10:53 a.m.
                 Re: I'm back..finally.Warbow 5/19/03 10:59 a.m.
                 Re: I'm back..finally.CYBRFRK 5/20/03 12:39 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.