Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Camera failure! *large IMGs*
Posted By: Shishka <shishka@shishka.net>Date: 3/7/03 10:52 p.m.

In Response To: representin' HBO at GDC 2003! (Shish @ GDC)

ARGH, I had some awesome pictures, too, and it appears my camera has broken. I did get some, but the last few I took were scrapped by the camera.

Anyhow, onto my report...

The Game Developers Conference, for those of you that don't know, is a gathering of the people within the electronic entertainment industry, to discuss issues and ideas, as well as display and advertise. It's not quite the same as E3, which is more about advertisement of existing games. The GDC is oriented more towards the discussion and inter-personal networking side of the business. For more information, visit the Game Developer Conference.

Being a student, and poor, I was unable to attend any of the panels and classes available. Maybe next year, if I'm lucky. However, I did get a good look at the expo floor, which was, in a sense, similar in design to E3, in that it was mostly product advertisement:

There was a pretty good range of things to see. NVIDIA had its GeForceFX card on display, and, in fact, on sale (I believe Chris Butcher got one). Intel had an Unreal Championship tournament going on while other machines in their display were demoing other popular games. ATI was showing off their 9800 series cards, right across from a Maya 4.5 demonstration. Discreet was giving free Character Studio tutorials.

Middleware was also large in presence at the expo. People such as Renderware and other companies were displaying their physics and lighting engines.

There was plenty to see, and I certainly filled my eyes on what was there. However, my primary objective was not just to see what was on the showroom floor. I had been told Bungie would have a presence, there, and it wouldn't have been right for me to go without meeting some of the crew.

There were hints everywhere that they were around:

You may notice that in some photos, the quality is pretty low. This is all part of my camera's downward spiral into the abyss.

At any rate, Cunbelin and I formed a plan. Jaime, Mat (Noguchi), and Marty were doing a panel called "Halo: Development Evolved," that was to end at 5:30. So, as the time drew near (shortly after the first post in this thread), we waited patiently at the door.

This is the door we stalked:

Finally, the audience made their way out of the room, and we snuck in (and by "snuck," I mean that that student passes like Cunbelin and I's were not supposed to go into the conference rooms. However, it is my policy that Ninja do not need press passes). We waited patiently for the guys to finish up their conversations before introducing ourselves. We also got to meet Tyson Green

After the first introductions, Cunbelin and I were invited to meet more of the guys back at the Microsoft booth (the one where that sign was posted). We worked our way back, and were introduced to Chris Butcher, Hamilton Chu, and Jay ("the Younger") Weinland.

I had pictures of this, really I did, but the camera ate them. Seriously. The last couple pictures turned out completely black. I'm really kinda pissed about it.

At any rate, here's a picture of Marty for you folks (if the bs.bungie.org people would like it, it's theirs, naturally).

Unfortunately, possibly the best picture I took was in the worst condition. I had a shot of Marty being what appeared to be quite the lady's man. Unfortunately, Marty, you've got nothing to prove it, now. ;)

But I tease. The guys were all real nice, but conversation was a bit short as we were tired and they were hungry. So, we parted ways.

It was notable that certain members of the Bungie team wished not to have their picture taken. For this reason, I believe Bungie used electromagnetic waves to damage my camera without my knowing it.

Either that, or they were never really there. *waves his hand all spooky like*

If you've got any questions, feel free to ask. And before you ask... No, I didn't ask any questions about Halo 2.

-S

I think I might try to go again tomorrow, and if I see them around, I might try to take pictures again. That's if I can get my camera working.

Message Index

Replies:

representin' HBO at GDC 2003!Shish @ GDC 3/7/03 7:19 p.m.
     Camera failure! *large IMGs*Shishka 3/7/03 10:52 p.m.
           Out of curiosity...Doggone 3/7/03 11:50 p.m.
                 Re: Out of curiosity...Shishka 3/8/03 12:13 a.m.
                       Re: Out of curiosity...HipboyScott 3/8/03 8:21 a.m.
                             Re: Out of curiosity...Lion 3/8/03 10:21 a.m.
                                   Re: Out of curiosity...Shishka 3/8/03 11:12 a.m.
                                   One does not simply WALK into E3. *NM*Doggone 3/8/03 6:49 p.m.
                             Re: Out of curiosity...Whitelightning14 3/8/03 6:01 p.m.
           Join us signpoena.dare #CP# >BS< 3/8/03 9:34 p.m.
                 Re: Join us signP_40E 3/8/03 11:17 p.m.
           Re: Camera failure! *large IMGs*strykerwolf 3/9/03 1:13 a.m.
     Thanks ShishkaPallor [subnova] 3/10/03 10:04 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.